The village of Llanwern includes the parish and a small hamlet in the parish of Christ Church.
The church of St. Mary, restored in 1865, is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the windows at the east end are stained: there are 70 sittings. The register dates from the year 1750. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Bishton annexed, joint net income £250, with residence, in the gift of the Misses Rous, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Jeffery Hooper, of St. David',s College, Lampeter, who resides at Bishton.
Llanwern House, the property of Miss Rous, is at present occupied bv David Alfred Thomas esq. M.A., J.P., M.P. for Merthyr Tydvil. Miss Rous is lady of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is clay subsoil, clay and marl. The land is wholly in pasture.
The area is 716 acres, rateable value, £3,108 and the population in 1891 was 24.
Parish Clerk: William Morgan.
Letters through Newport arrive 8.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Maindee, about 3 miles distant. There is a Letter Box outside Royal Oak P.H., Chepstow road, Christchurch.
The children attend the school at Bishton
Railway Station, Thomas Swadling, station master
Thomas David Alfred, M.P., M.A., J.P., Llanwern House, & Devonshire and National Liberal Clubs, London SW
Rees Charles, Blacksmith
Williams John, farmer, The Barnr
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids