Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANVACHES
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANVACHES


LLANVACHES is a parish close to the main road from Newport to Chepstow, 3 miles north from Magor station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway and 9 northeast from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of the hundred of Caldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Dubricius is a small building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western saddleback tower, containing one bell: there are 109 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1796. The living is a rectory, net income 135, with 9 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Tredegar, and held since 1899 by the Rev. Thomas Richard Jones, of St. Bees. Here are Congregational, Baptist and Bible Christian chapels.

Extensive water works to augment the supply of water to Newport have been in course of construction here since 1895 and will include a reservoir estimated to hold about three hundred million gallons, connected by means of an underground aqueduct with another at Newchurch holding about four million gallons. The work is being carried out by the Corporation of the Countv Borouah of Newport, and will cost about 300,000.

There have been various bequests to the poor, amounting in all to 10 yearly. On the land of Church Farm, the property of Mr. Samuel Baker, the site of the foundations of a castle, situated about 250 yards north of the church, can be distinctly traced. In an orchard belonging to Talgarth farm, at the top of a conical hill, are some traces of an ancient encampment, probably British.

Lord Tredegar and the Duke of Beaufort, who are the lords of the manors, Mrs. Wey, Mr. Jenkins and Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Leicestershire, are the principal landowners. The soil is a clayey loam; subsoil, clay and stony brash. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,093 acres; rateable value, 1,389; the population in 1891 was 232.

Letters arrive through Newport at 10.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Penhow, about 1mile distant.
Wall Letter Box at Rock & Fountain, cleared at 5.40 p.m. week days only

The children of this parish attend the United National school for the parish, Penhow & St. Bride's, which is situate in the latter parish

PRIVATE
Jones Rev. Thomas Richard, Rectory
Macdonald John, Water works

COMMERCIAL.
Baker Samuel, farmer, Lower Millbrook
Dutfield Edmund Chapp, farmer, Rock farm
Gale George, farmer, Upper Millbrook farm
Holloway William, engineer, Water works
James Thomas, farmer, Forrester's oaks
Jones Samuel, farmer, Talgarth
Jones William, butcher
Keene Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Cayo farm
Macdonald John, manager, Water works
Price John (Mrs.), farmer, Whitebrook
Rhys Llewellyn, cashier, Water works
Roberts Evan, farmer
Roberts George, farmer
Waters Bertram, farmer
Williams Elizabeth (Mrs.), baker
Williams Morgan, farmer, Colvin farm