Search billions of records on
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

LLANTHEWY-VACH, or Llanddewi-fach, is a parish, 4 miles south-east from Pontypool Road and 4 north from Caerleon station, on the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Junction section of the Great Western railway, 5 miles south-east from Pontypool, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Usk, petty sessional division of Caerleon, union and county court district of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk (western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

A small stream called the Soar divides it on the east from the parishes of Llangibby and Llandegveth.

The present church of St. David, erected in 1857 on the site of the ancient church, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 80 sittings, all free.

There are several fine yew trees in the churchyard, the largest of which measures 39 feet round and is perfectly hollow. The situation of this church (4 miles from Caerleon), and its name, Llanthewy or Landdewi, the church of St. David, seem to show that the celebrated Archbishop David first preached the gospel here and founded the church; in ancient documents the benefice is styled "St. David Episcopi Ecclesia".

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1741; marriages and burials, 1750. The living is a rectory, annexed in 1888 to Llandegveth, joint net income 189, including 98 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and Albert Addams-Williams esq. alternately, and held since 1888 by the Rev. William Addams-Williams Evans M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford;

The rectorial tithes, for long years appropriated or alienated from the benefice, were in 1870 restored by the late Bishop of Llandaff, the appropriator. The parish includes the manor.of Bishton, of which the bishop is lord, and the manor of Edlogan, of which John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool, is lord.

The principal landowners are John Capel Hanbury esq. and Messrs. G. and D. Nicholl.

The soil is clay; subsoil, marly. The geological formations, the old red sandstone and the siliirian, meet in this parish; interesting fossils of the latter are found. Quartzose sandstone, fit for building, is quarried in one spot. The flora of the parish is rich and diversified. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,354 acres ; rateable value, 1,053 ; the population in 1891 was 133.

Sexton, John Pinches.

Letters for names marked thus * are received through Pontypool, arrive at 9.30 a.m. & the remainder through Caerleon, Newport, arrive at 9.I5 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Pontulwydd, about 3 miles distant. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.40 p.m. week days only

The children of this parish attend the schools at Llanfrechfa & Coedypaen Llangibby

Evans Rev. William Addams-Williams M.A. (rector)

*Elston William, farmer, Crosswen
*Green John, farmer, Green meadow
Grey James, farmer, Irongate farm
*Gray Llewellvn, farmer, Brook farm
Harris Joseph, farmer, White house
Harris William, farmer, Old house
*James Lemuel, farmer
Morgan James, farmer
Phillips William, Farmers' Arms P.H
Pinches George, farmer, Panteg cot
Powell John, farmer, Cefn Llwyn
Protheroe Arthur James, farmer, Cefn Tilla Back
Thomas William, farmer, Llanthewy Court
Rogers William, farmer & landowner, Gelynnen Maria
*Watkin John, farmer, Perthelick
Watkins Thos., farmer, Ty-Captain
Williams George, farmer, Cefn Tilla
*Williams John, farmer, Granary
Williams Richard, farmer, Pen-y-wain
Williams William, farmer, Glebe farm