Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANTHEWY SKIRRID
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANTHEWY SKIRRID


LLANTHEWY SKIRRID is a parish on the road from Abergavenny to Ross, 3 miles north-east from Abergavenny station, on the Great Western railway, and 19 north-east from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. David is an edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, rebuilt, with the exception of the, tower, in 1828 and restored in 1870 and again in 1880, by C. Bailey esq. : it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and western tower containing four bells: there are 150 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1754. The official return of 1831 states that at that time no other book could be found.

The living is a rectory net yearly value 170, with 106 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of John Jones esq. of Langstone Court, and held since 1880 by the Rev. John Walton Jones M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Great Skirrid mountain, 1,601 feet high, is partly in this parish. Mrs. Gordon Canning, of Hartpury, Gloucester, Mrs. Curre, of Itton Court, Messrs. Jones and Harley Rodney esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,059 acres ; rateable value, 775 ; the population in 1900 was 115.

Parish Clerk, William Exton.

Post Office. Bentley Maddy, sub-postmaster. Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Abergavenny, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

The children of this parish attend the school at Llanvetherine

PRIVATE
Farquhar Miss, The Lodge
Johnson Robert, Llanddewi court
Jones Rev. John. Walton M.A. (rector)

COMMERCIAL
. Davies Jas. farmer, Parsonage farm
Exton Wm. machine owner, The Firs
Gwilliam John, farmer, Green Moors
Jasper Michael, farmer, Pentre
Johnson Robert, farmer, Llanddewi court
Jones William, farmer, Little mill
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Landwr
Smith George, farmer, Skirrid farm
Watkins Margaret, (Mrs.), Walnut Tree inn
Whistance John, farmer, Pontcarreg