Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANSOY

LLANSOY is a parish, on the main road from Raglan to Chepstow, 4 miles east-north-east from Usk station and 4 north from Raglan station, both on the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Raglan, petty sessional division and county court district of Usk, union of Chepstow, Pontypool and Usk highway district, rural deanery of Chepstow, archdeaconry of Monmonth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church (possibly of St. Sisoy), restored in 1858 at a cost Of 400, is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a large western tower containing 2 bells : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1592. The living is a rectory, net income. 105, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, and held since 1891 by the Rev. William Jones, of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also chaplain ofH.M. prison at Usk. There are charities amounting to about 15 yearly distributed in money.

The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. is lord of the manor, and Mrs. Tudor, of Wyesham, near Monmouth, Oliver Anstey esq. and Miss Amphlett, are the principal landowners.

The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are, wheat, barley and oats, The area is 1,411 acres of land and 4 of water; rateable value, 982; the population in 1891 was 130.

Parish Clerk: Leonard Goddard.

Post Office.- Mrs. Mary Jenkins, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Newport at 8.25 a.m.; dispatched 4.25 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Trellech is the nearest money order & Usk the nearest telegraph Office, 5 miles distant

National School (mixed), erected, & opened in 1867, for 40 children; average attendance, 20.
Miss Cora Williams, mistress.

PRIVATE
Jones Rev. William (rector & chaplain of H.M. prison at Usk)

COMMERCIAL
Anstey Oliver, farmer, The Wern farm
Frost James, farmer, Duffryn farm
Frost John, farmer, Bush & Llanpeath Farms
Frost John, jun., farmer, Newhouse
James William, farmer, Little Llanolway farm
Jenkins Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper & post office
Jones Fred, farmer, Lower house
Jones William, farmer, Cross farm
Jones Alfred, farmer, Great Llanolway
Pritchard Alfred, farmer, Pentre
Taylor Charles, Cross Keys P.H
Williams Joseph, farmer, Court-y-Breychan
Williams Mrs. Lucy, farmer, Great house


dex