The parish is bounded on the north-east by the river Usk, and the Brecon and Monmouthshire canal runs through it from south to north: the western part of the parish is very mountainous. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient structure of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a tower containing 5 bells: in the churchyard is a very handsome monument to the memory of the late Lord Llanover, who died 27 April, 1867, and also an ancient stone cross: the church will seat 200 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1661 and marriages 1754. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £190, with residence and 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Evan Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. Here is a Congregational chapel.
The trustees of the late Lady Llanover are the lords of the manor and the principal landowners. Llanover, the residence of the Hon. Mrs. Augusta C. Herbert, is a noble mansion of Bath stone in the Tudor style.
The soil is gravel; subsoil, strata of stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 4,663 acres of land and 36 of water. The rateable value is £4,668, and the population in 1891 was 8,813 in the civil and 397 in the ecclesiastical parish.
(BM: The unlikely population figure of 8,813 is not a transcription error - that's exactly what it says! The parish population is probably more accurate.)
Parish Clerk: David Morris
Post Office: David Jones, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Abergavenny at 7.5 a.m.; dispatched at 4.35 p.m. No dispatch on sunday.
Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Nantyderry, 3 miles distant.
Parochial School (mixed), built, with residence for teacher, in 1872, for 108 children; average attendance, 70; built by the late Lady Llanover & supported by the trustees.
David Edwards, master
Davies Rev. David (Congregational)
Davies Rev. Evan, B.A. Vicarage
Herbert Hon. Mrs. Augusta Charlotte
Jones Hugh Davies
Richards Mrs. Gruffydd, Ty'r Eglwys.
Addie John Heathcote, land agent to the Llanover trustees, Estate office
Austin William, farmer, Brynpant
David David, farmer, Tymawr
David Robert, farmer, Llanover Court farm
Davies David, coffee tavern
Davies Lewis, farmer, The Vro
Edwards John, farmer, Garnllech
Edwards Thomas, farmer, Ffawydden
Edwards Wm. farmer, Bryn-hyfryd
Evans James, grocer & baker
Griffiths John, farm bailiff to trustees of the late Lady Llanover
James Josiah, farmer, Llansabbath
Jenkins John, farmer, Blaenochran
Jonathan John, farmer, Pentallar
Jonathan William, farmer, Hendre glyn
Jones David, carpenter & wheelwright, & post office
Lewis John, farmer, Hendre Isa
Jones Hugh Davies, clerk of works to the Llanover trustees
Jones John D., welsh flannel rnanufacturer &c., Gwenffrwd
Jones Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Neuadd Newvdd
Lewis Danie1, farmer, Glandwr
Monkley John, farmer & market gardener, Tycoch
Nicholas Edmund, farmer, Maerdy farm
Pain William Samuel, miller (water)
Pugh William, farmer, Hendre-uchaf
Redwood Thomas, farmer, Danyrheol
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Tytgwyn
Waters David, farmer, Pwllyrhwyaid
Williams William, farmer, Llwyncellyn