Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANGWM UCHA and ISA
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANGWM UCHA and LLANGWM ISA
LLANGWM UCHA and LLANGWM ISA, or Upper and Lower Llangwm, are jointly one parish, near the road from Usk to Chepstow and about 2 miles south of the road from Usk to Monmouth, 4 miles east from Usk station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western Railway, 9 north-west from Chepstow and 15 north-east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Usk, Chepstow union, Usk county court district, rural deanery of Usk, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The old church of St. Jerome, Llangwm Ucha, erected in the 13th century. is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch, and a large square tower on the north side of the chancel, containing 3 bells; There are 150 sittings, and the register dates from the Year 1663. The Church was thoroughly restored in 1870, from designs by the late Mr. J. P. Seddon and the late Mr. Ewan Christian, architects, of London, at a cost of about 1,500, including the roodscreen.

Spanning the whole width of the church, this intricately carved mediaeval screen is considered one of the finest in this part of the Kingdom. The remote location of the church no doubt having saved this treasure from Puritan destruction.

The parish church of St. John, Llangwm Isa, is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, and a central turret containing one bell; it was rebuilt in 1850, and services are held in it alternately with the church at Llangwm Ucha. There are 70 sittings. The living is a joint vicarage, net yearly value 1220, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Edward Marsh Prothero B.A. of Morton College, Oxford.

Here is a Baptist chapel.   Trevella, now occupied as a farm house, was a mansion of some antiquity, and still presents several indications of its former condition.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Roger Edwards esq., George Lawrence esq., Mrs. Tudor, of Wyesham, near Monmouth, and C. W. Whalley esq. of Chepstow, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat. The area of the parish of Llangwm Ucha is 2,498 acres; rateable value, 1,611; the population in 1891 was 226; the area of the parish of Llangwm Isa is 633 acres; rateable value, 537; the population in 1891 was 37.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Benjamin Jones.

Post Office.-Mrs. Hannah Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Usk at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m.; Usk is also the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant.

Church of England School, opened in 1871, for 60 children; average attendance, 45; Mrs. Nixon, mistress.

LLANGWM UCHA.

COMMERCIAL.

Bigham Robert, blacksmith
Carter Valentine, farmer, Redwein
Cowles Uriah, farmer, Tyllwydd
Cox Henry, farmer, New house
Davies John, farmer, Tycoell
Dyment Walter Henry, Bridge inn P.H
Evans Thomas, farmer, Tyvree
Hall Richard, farmer, Trevella
Harrhy Thomas, farmer, Uplands
Hughes Matilda (Mrs.), farmer
James John, farmer, Berthcretig
Jones Joseph Betnjamin, wheelwright
Morgan James, farmer, Goitre
Morgan John, farmer, Pwllth
Northover Elizh. (Miss), shopkeeper
Perrott James, farmer
Powell William, farmer, Pentwyn farm
Robins Anne (Mrs.), farmer, Camp House farm
Sainsbury Williain, farmer, Tywilson
Vaughan Thomas, farmer, Baelea
Walters William, miller (water), Llangwm mill
Williams Fredk., farmer, Nant-y-mark
Williams John, farmer, Church farm
Williams Thos. farmer, Trelay farm

LLANGWM ISA.

Prothero Rev. Edward Marsh B.A., The Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Hodges Hubert, farmer, Pentre
Hodges John, farmer, Llangwm Isa farm
Perrott James, farmer
Williams William & John, farmers, New House farm


dex