Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANGSTONE
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANGSTONE
LLANGSTONE is a parish on the road from Newport to Chepstow, 3 miles north from Llanwern station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 5 east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Caldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of . Llandaff.

The church (name unknown) is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a bell-turret containing 2 bells: the church was restored and new roofed in 1897; there are 140 sittings, 30 being free. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1673; marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, net income 135, with 37 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Rev. William H. Williams M.A., rector of Portskewett, and held since 1895 by the Rev. William Henry Williams B.A. of Oxford University, who is also rector of Kemeys Inferior.

John Lawrence esq. of Caerleon House, near Newport, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Llangstone Court farm is the old manor house. The soil is partly light and loamy; subsoil, a portion in limestone.

The area is 1,345 acres; rateable value, 1,392; the population in 1891 was 184.

LLANBEDR is a hamlet 1 miles north-east of this parish, on the road from Newport to Chepstow. There are some remains of a church here, now used as a barn. There is a Free Methodist chapel at Catsash.

Parish Clerk, William Partridge.

Letters received through Newport & Caerleon arrive at 8 a.m. The nearest post, money order & telegraph offices are at Caerleon & Penhow, about 3 miles distant.

The children of this parish attend the schools at Llandevaud.

Baldwin William, Cherry Orchard
Brewer John Edwin J.P. Gorelands
Evans David, Llanbedr
Llewellyn William, Llangstone villa
Williams Rev. William Henry B.A., Rectory
Bridle George, farm Bailiff to J. E. Brewer esq., New House farm
Duthie William, farmer, Ford farm
Harwood Matilda (Mrs.), New inn
Hoskins Wm. farmer, Little Caerlicken
Llangstone Lime Kilns (G. T. Poole, proprietor)
Roach Thomas, blacksmith & wheelwright
Rosser Henry, farmer, Little Tregarn
Rosser William, farmer & assistant overseer, Llangstone court
Waters Henry, Catsash
Williams Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Great Tregarn
Williams William, miller & farmer, Tregarn mill (water)


dex