The church of St. Odoceus, rebuilt in 1860, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, west and south porches and a turret spire containing 2 bells: there are three stained windows: in 1891 the chancel was decorated with marble and alabaster, and figures in mosaic, and during the period 1882-9 the church was restored at a cost of £434. There are sittings for 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1694.
The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Whitebrook annexed, net yearly value £195, with 28 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Llewellyn Arnott Rees M.A. of Queens' College, Cambridge, and J.P. (Mon.). Here is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1882.
The Priory, the seat of Henry de la Pasture esq. is situated on the Falls Hill, and affords a magnificent view of the Wye Valley and surrounded by well-woodecl grounds and park of 160 acres. The Llandogo Falls, sometimes called the Cleddon Shoots, commence at the top of a steep wooded hill, and the waters, in rainy seasons rush down into the village, which is surrounded by magnificent scenery; the falls are in the private grounds of The Priory, permission to view them is conceded on the presentation of a visiting card.
The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. who is lord of the manor, Douglas Rooke esq. and Henry de la Pasture esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, sandstone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,777 acres of land, 44 of water, 8 of tidal water and 1 of foreshore. Rateable value, £2,081; the population in 1891 was 552.
At WHITEBROOK, 2½ miles north from the parish church, is the Holy Trinity chapel of ease, erected in 1860, and restored and decorated in 1890 at a cost of £413. It is of stone, and consists of a chancel and nave, and affords 180 sittings. There is also a Baptist chapel, erected in 1829.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B., & Annuity & Insurance office.
Miss Mary Williams, sub-postmistress.
Letters are received through Chepstow, arrive at 8.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.50 p.m.
Post office, Whitebrook.
Mrs. Catherine Lerwill, sub-postmistress.
Letters from Monmouth arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. Trellech is the nearest money order office; Llandogo the nearest telegraph office, 3 miles distant.
National (mixed), accommodation for 83 children; average attendance, 30.
Miss Emma Martin, mistress.
Church of England School, Whitebrook, built in 1830, for 60 children; average attendance, 50.
Mrs. Harriett Pick, mistress.
Railway Station (Bigsweir), George Albert Fidler, station master
Bett, Major-General Henry Imlach, Pilston House
Gallenga-Hardwin, Guy Hardwin J.P., Llandogo falls
O'Blein John, Pentwyn
de la Pasture Henry, The Priory
Rees Rev. Llewellyn Arnott, M.A., J.P., Rectory
Stansfield Rev. Joshua (curate)
Hodges George, farmer, The Holm
Hedges William, grocer
Miller Brothers, lessees of the Wye & Severn salmon fisheries
Pritchard Hy. farmer, Upper Coedithel
Ransome Jessie (Mrs.), grocer
Ricketts Walter, beer retailer
Williams Albert, mason
Williams William, Sloop inn
Williams, Edwin Taylor, Lion P.H., & carpenter, mop stick maker, helve & handle maker, wheelwright, coal & coke merchant
Williams George, Ship inn
Williams Mary (Miss), grocer & Post Office
Brown George, Bell inn
Morris Richard, farmer, Pilston farm
Pick William, timber merchant