LLANARTH is a parish on the river Usk, 4 niiles west-by-north from Penpergwm Station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford line of the Great Western railway, 4 miles north-west from Raglan Station on the Ross, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the same railwav and 6 south-east from Abergavenny, in the southern division of the county, Raglan hundred and petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, Raglan and Trellech highway district, rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.
The church stands on the foundation of an earlier fabric, which together with the glebe, title and appurtenances, was given by King Offa in the 7th century to the Bishop of Llandaff and his sucessors in the see for ever, and is an ancient building in stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing 6 bells. The tower has a square turret at the north-east angle, also embattled. The church was restored in 1891 at a cost of £855 and affords 200 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient stone of the 7th century, carved with a Cross, and also bearing an inscription now illegible.
The register dates from the year 1598. The living is a vicarage, commuted net yearly value £225, with 61 acres of g1ebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1883 bv the Rev Joseph Wheeler Osman, B.D., of Durham Unlversity.
The Catholic chapel here is dedicated to St Mary.
Charities amounting to £70 yearly are distributed twice yearly in the parish.
Llanarth Court, the seat of Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert, CB, CMG, DL, JP, is a magnificent building of stone, in tbe Italian style, delightfully situated and surrounded with grounds 240 acres in extent.
Clytha Park is tbe seat of W. Reginald J. F. Herbert esq., DL, JP, and stands in a park of 300 acres.
Here are tbe kennels of tbe Monmouthshire fox hounds, of which W.R.J.F.Herbert esq. is master. Abergavenny and Monmoutb are convenient towns for hunting visitors.
The soil is sandy, resting on sandstone and stiff clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans.
The area is 1,957 acres of land and 3 of water; rateable value, £2,548. The population in 1891 was 262 in the civil parish and 563 elsewhere.
CLYTHA is a hamlet, one & a quarter miles south. The area is 1,824 acres of land and 16 of water; the rateable value, £2,310. The population in 1891 was 302 .
Parish Clerk: Thomas Jones.
Post Office, Llanarth - Joseph Poletti, subpostmaster. Letters received through Newport arrive at 8:35 am ; dispatched at 4:20 pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Raglan, & telegraph office at Llanvihangel Gobion, 3 miles distant.
Post Office, Great Oak - Mrs. Elizabeth Summers, sub postmistress. Letters from Newport arrive at 8:15 am & dispatched at 4:45 pm. Money orders are issued here, but not paid. Nearest money order & telegraph office is at Raglan, 3 miles distant.
County Constabulary: Henry Thomas, constable.
Catholic School, Clytha, built in 1848, for 80 children; average attendance, 65 ; taught by the Sisters of St. Paul