Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

LLANFIHANGEL-PONT-Y-MOILE


LLANFIHANGEL-PONT-Y-MOILE is a parish on the road from Pontypool to Abergavenny, 1 miles south-east from Pontypool Town and 1 mile north-west from Pontypool Road railway station, and 160 by rail from London; Little Mill station on the Coleford, Usk, Monmouth and Pontypool branch of the Great Western railway is 1 miles north and in this parish; it is in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Usk, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The Brecon and Monmouthshire canal runs through the parish. By order of the Monmouthshire County Council, confirmed by Local Government Board order, this parish was, in 1891, added to the Panteg Local Board district, and under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894," this parish is now divided into two wards, North and South, and governed by the Urban District Council of Panteg.

The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western bell-turret containing 2 bells: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1742.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 96, in the gift of John Capel Hanbury esq., D.L., J.P., and held since 1851 by the Rev. Christopher Cook, of Lampeter College, who is also rector of Mamhilad, where he resides.

There are brickworks at Little Mill.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor, and John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool, is sole landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,726 acres of land and 13 of water; rateable value, 5,833; the population in 1891 was 551.

Parish Clerk, Llewellyn Henry Price.

Letters through Pontypool, arrive at 7 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Panteg. Pontypool is the nearest telegraph office, 1 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Crosshands, cleared 6 p.m., week days only.

A School Board of 5 members was formed 9 Nov 1881 for the united district of Llanfihangel-Pont-y-Moile & Mamhilad.
Thomas Watkins, Pontypool, clerk to the board, and John Davies, Tymawr, attendance officer.
The children attend the schools at Mamhilad & New Inn.

Railway Station, Little Mill: Edward Spencer, station master.

PRIVATE
Phillips Miss, The Woodlands.

COMMERCIAL
Burgoyne & Son, brick makers, Little Mill
Davies Philip & John, farmers,Tymawr
Davies Francis, farmer, Hand farm
Davies John, assistant overseer, tax collector & school attendance officer, Ty-mawr.
Fletcher Thos., Horse & Groom P.H.
Harris Wm., blacksmith, Cwmoody
Matthews Hezekiah, Wain-y-clare Inn
Parker Edward, farmer, Court farm
Rolands William, farmer,Coed Cando
Williams Bros., farmers, Typoth
Williams Benjamin, farmer, Wern
Williams David, farmer, Manachty
Williams William Henry, farmer, Goverra


dex