Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANGOVEN
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANGOVEN
LLANGOVEN is a Parish, on the old road from Monmouth to Usk, 3 miles south from Dingestow station on the Coleford, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western railway and 6 south-west from Monmouth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Raglan, petty sessional division of Trellech, union and county court district of Monmouth, Raglan and Trellech highway district of the Monmouth District Council, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Goven is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a belfry containing 2 bells; it was thoroughly restored in 1890-1 at a cost of 400, and during the restoration the stone stair to the rood loft was discovered and opened up; there are 80 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1749; marriages, 1755.

The living is a vicarage, with that of Pen-y-clawdd annexed, net yearly value, 196, with glebe (105) and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1888 bv the Rev. William Rees, of Queen's College, Birmingham, who resides at Pen-y-clawdd. A charity of 19 10s was bequeathed by the late Mr. William Jones, of Tygyrog, Llanishen, is distributed yearly.

Court St. Lawrrence, is the seat of Mrs. Earnshaw. The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. who is lord of the manor, Samuel Courthope Bosanquet esq. of Dingestow Court, Mrs. Earnshaw, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,898 acres; rateable value, 1,130; the population in 1891 was 113.

Parish Clerk, William Blake.

Letters through Monmouth arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 11-30 a.m.
Llanishen, about 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

The children of this place attend the school at Pen-y-Clawdd.

PRIVATE

Earnshaw Mrs., Court St. Lawrence.

COMMERCIAL.

Gwillim Jarnes, farmer
Gwynne John, farmer, Four ashes
Jones David, farmer, Little Llangoven
Jones George, blacksmith
Jones John, farmer, Pigeon house
Jones John, farmer, Tregirog,
Jones Thomas, farmer, Church farm
Lewis William, farmer, Llanwinny
Morgan Mary (Miss), farmer, New House
Powell William, farmer, Pentre
Tribe Henry, farmer, Llanynant
Tuke John, farmer, Court St. Lawrence farm
Williams Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Trecastle
Williams Mrs. farmer, The Mardy farm


dex