The church of St. Michael and All Angels, which stands close to the river Wye, is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English Geometric style, consisting of chancel, nave, a fine Early English south porch, with groined roof, and a bell-cote at the west end containing one bell: the stained east window of three lights was erected by Dr. Audland as a memorial to his wife and children; the font is small but ancient and elegant in style: there is a modern stone pulpit: the church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1846, and the chancel was improved and a vestry built in l874: there are 120 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1694; marriages, 1695; burials, 1756. The living is a rectory, not income £98, with glebe valued at £6, in the gift of Robert Hamilton Williams esq. and Henry Edward Burney esq., and held since 1900 by the Rev. William Donald Istance Mackintosh, of St. Bees, who is also perpetual curate of Chapel Hill. This parish shares in certain charities, bequeathed to the parish of Chapel Hill. Tintern abbey is not in this parish, but is situated in that of Chapel Hill (which see).
There is a Roman camp on the farm of Madget, in Woolastone parish, across the Wye, and an ancient kiln, supposed to be Roman work, at Coed Ithel, by the side of the road to Llandogo. In the village street stands the base of an ancient stone cross, and there are still some remains of a large stone mansion of the Tudor period, which, tradition says, was battered down by Cromwell, and a cannon ball has been found in the ruins. The mansion was, however, occupied by the Fielding family nearly a century later.
The extensive woods, which form one of the chief features of this part of the county, are cut every 12 or 14 years, and the timber sent to the collieries in South Wales; the smaller wood is prepared for hoops or charcoal. Nightingales abound in the woods above the village; lilies of the valley and allied plants are also to be found, as well as several of the rarer ferns, such as the oak fern and beech polypodium and some of the club-mosses.
The Nurtons is the residence of William Matthews esq. and commands a very fine view of the Wye and the woods on the Gloucestershire side of the river. The principal landowners are the Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Edward D. Williams esq. and Mr. John Fryer.
The soil is sandy, shallow and poor; the parish lies on the junction of the old red sandstone and mountain limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture and coppice wood. The area is 795 acres of land, 16 of tidal water and 3 of foreshore ; rateable value, £1,266 10s.; the population in 1891 was 306.
Parish Clerk, William Brown.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Mrs. Matilda H. Highley, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Chepstow arrive at 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 & 5.50 p.m.
The children of this parish attend the school at Chapel Hill.
County Police Station: James Love, constable.
Railway Station: Arthur Edward Fitch, station master
Brown Andrew, Stone mason
Brown James, Carpenters, Arms inn P. H.
Brown Louisa (Miss), apartments & refreshment rooms, Gothic cottage
Brown William, farmer, Trellech road
Charles William, wheelwright
Fryer John, timber merchant
Garrett Emma (Mrs.), Beaufort Arms hotel
Griffiths Christopher, maltster
Hennessy Mary Ann (Mrs.), stationer
Highley Matilda H.(Mrs.), refreshment rooms & post office, Spring cottage
Hughes Robert, Royal George hotel; headquarters C. T. C. & W. C. U
Kay James Graham, M.B. & C.M.Edin., physician, & medical officer & public vaccinator for Tintern district, Chepstow union, & the Trellech district, Monmouth union, & certifying factory surgeon, Strathwye.
Luff Charles Thomas, clerk to Parish Council
Pugh Thomas Lewis, grocer & draper
Taylor James, farmer, apartments & refreshment rooms, Parva farm
Watkins Alfred John, Masons Arms P.H.