Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - IFTON
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
IFTON
IFTON is a parish, on the, shore of the Bristol Charmel, a mile northeast from Severn Tunnel station on the Great Western (South Wales) railway and 6 miles southwest from Chepstow, in the Southern division of tile county, hundred of C'aldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church was taken down some years ago. The living is a rectory annexed to Roggiett, under the name of Roggiett-cum-Ifton with Llanvihangel, joint net yearly value 360, with 114 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Tredegar, and held since 1878 by the Rev.Alfred George, Morris B.A. of Jesus College, Oxford.

Benjamin Perry & Henry Oakley esqrs. are the principal landowners. The chief crops are corn; the pasture land is very good; there are considerable woods and extensive limestone quarries. The area is 654 acres of land and 531 of foreshore; rateable value, 2,094; the population in 1891 was 22.

Letters through Chepstow, arrive at 9.o a.m. Nearest rnoney order & telegraph office, CaIdicot, about one mile distant. The nearest Post Office is at Roggiett, letters despatched at 5.30 p.m.

The children of this parish attend the school at Roggiett

PRINCIPAL RESIDENTS
Morris Rev.Alfred George, B.A., The Rectory
Perry Benjamin, farmer & quarry owner & overseer