LLANHILLETH, or Llanhiddel, is a parish with a station 1 mile south from the church on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway, 173 miles from London and 5 miles west from Pontypool, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Abergavenny, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Pontypool, and in the rural deanery of Blaenau Gwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff, and is within the area of the Abertillery urban district.
The Monmouthshire canal runs through the parish; the river Ebbw forms the western boundary of the parish. Aberbeeg, Six Bells and Crumlin are villages of Llanhilleth; the latter will be found under a separate head.
The church of St. Illtyd, standing on rising ground, is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a tower with spire containing 2 bells: in the church are various monuments, an ancient font and an antique church chest: the church was restored and decorated in 1891, when the old windows were reglazed, at a cost of £600: there are 150 sittings:
in the churchyard are several old yew trees. The register dates from the year 1733.
The church of St. Mark, standing in the centre of the village and erected in 1898, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave and a bell-cote containing 2 bells: there are 400 sittings.
The living is a rectory, net yearly income £160, with residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. and held since 1895 by the Rev. Daniel Felix, of St. Bees.
There are Baptist (Welsh and English) and Congregational chapels, two Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Calvinistic chapel of iron at Six Bells.
Near the church is a large barrow, and there are also some remains of a castle.
There is a colliery of some extent.
The lady and lords of the manor are as follows :-
The principal landowners are:-
- Miss Julia Guise
- Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton bart. of Buckland House, Berks
Philip Witham esq.
- Henry White esq.
- Rev. Gorges Fettiplace
- John Gwynne Evans-Gwynne M.A., vicar of Potton, Bedfordshire
- Francis Tothill esq. of Stoke Bishop, Bristol
The soil is gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,998 acres of land and 11 of water; rateable value, £20,214; the population in 1891 was 1,956.
- Percy Phillips esq.
- Mrs. Williams
- Mrs. Rosa Nurse
- Messrs. Phillips, Maesycnew
- Partridge, Jones and Co. Limited
Parish Clerk, Elias Pritchard.
Post & M.O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Llanhilleth.- James Mead, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Crumlin R.S.O. at 7.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 10 a.m. & 6.45 p.m. Letters should be addressed "Llanhilleth, Crumlin, R.S.O. Mon.". Crumlin is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
Police Station, Wm. C. Blunt, constable in charge & two men
ABERBEEG is a village in the parish of Llanhilleth, with a station at the junction of the Blaina and Ebbw Vale railways with the Western Valleys line belonging to the Great Western Company, 173¾ miles from London, 4½ south from Blaina and 8 south-west from Pontypool.
A Public Hall (which stands in the parish of Mynyddislwyn) was erected in 1891 ; it is also used for divine services. Here is also a reading room. Here are several collieries, a large brewery and a flour mill.
Six Bells is 1 mile north from Aberbeeg railway station.
Post M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S B & Annuity & Insurance Office, Aberbeeg (Railway Sub Office. Letters should have "R.S.O. Mon." added)
Thomas Jones, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive at 6.30 & 9 a.m. & 4 p.m. & depart 7.30 p.m. for all parts. North mail, 11.30 p.m.
Post Office, Six Bells.-Thomas Evans, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive 8.30 a.m. & 6.20 p.m., & are dispatched at 6.30 p.m. Letters should be addressed to "Six Bells, Aberbeeg HSO, Mon."
Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Aberbeeg is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant.
A School Board of five members was formed 5 April, 1872 Charles William Carpenter, Aberbeeg, clerk to the board, Thomas Harris, attendance officer.
Schools Llanhilleth, erected in 1894, & opened in 1895, for 140 boys and & girls & 80 infants; John Evan Rowland, master Miss Margaret Ann Beddoe, infants' mistress.
Board School (mixed), Aberbeeg, built in 1873, & since enlarged to hold 400 children; average attendance, 240 boys & girls & 100 infants; Theophilus Evans, master; Miss Ruth Emily Evans, infants' mistress
Infants' School, Six Bells; average attendance, 86; Miss Annie Moses, mistress
Railway Station at Aberbeeg, James H. Bond, station master
Davies William, Llanhilleth house
Davies Rev. Thomas Cothean (Baptist), High street
Evans Rev. Luther (curate), Prospect house
Felix Rev. Daniel, Rectory
Frost Thomas Joseph
Lloyd Dan, Ivy lodge
Stanfield John, JP, Belle Vue house
Andrews, Edward Thomas, farmer, Mount Pleasant
Andrews, William, Royal Oak P.H.
Andrews, William Daniel, farmer, Hafod Arthen
Bartlett, Walters & Co., grocers & tea dealers, & agents for W. & A. Gilbey Ltd,. wine & spirit merchants
Boothman Wm. farmer, Lower Soferydd
Rowen John, shopkeeper
Crockett George, refreshment rooms
Dale James, farmer, Lower Argoed farm
Daniels Bertha (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Davies Evan, farmer, Gilfach-Ven
Edmund Elizabeth, (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Edmunds Fanny E. (Miss), shopkpr
Esau John, Coach & Horses P.H. Six Bells
Evans Thomas, grocer & sub-post-master, Six Bells
Frost Thomas Joseph, LRCP(Edin.), LRCS & LM(Edin.), LFPS(Glas.), surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator for Llanhilleth district, Pontypool union.
Godfrey & Co. drapers
Hall Thomas & John, farmers, Blaen Cuffin
Hall Thomas S. farmer, Hafodryny fm
Handach John, shopkeeper
Harris & Co. outfitters
Hughes Henry H., tailor
Ingerson Fred, news agent
Jones Aaron, farmer, Soferydd-fach
Jones Jenkins. Castle P.R
Jones Rachael (Mrs.), Carpenter's Arms P.H.
Lewis Henry, butcher
Llanhilleth Co-operative Society Ltd., (Frank T. Allen, manager), grocers
Mead James, grocer & sub-postmaster
Morgan James & John, farmers
Morgan Jas. E. M. farmer, Tyr David
Morgan John A. butcher
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Tyr Llwyd
Morgan Walter, grocer, Six Bells
Morrell John, tailor
Partridge, Jones & Co. Limited, colliery proprietors (William Davies, manager), Llanhilleth colliery
Payne Jane (Mrs.), grocer & baker
Phillips Thomas, farmer, Maes-Cnyw
Preece George, greengrocer
Price Lewis, shopkeeper
Pritchard Daniel, shopkeeper
Rees Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Ruskin Lewis, tailor
Rowland John E. ironmonger
Smith Henry John, Boot maker
Thomas Arthur Victor, grocer
Tovey Arthur, boot & shoe maker
Ward Thomas, shopkeeper
Ware Thomas, hair dresser
Watkins Rees, shopkeeper
Williams Robert, cowkeeper
Wright Samuel, Six Bells
Yendoll Harry, Six Bells Hotel, Six Bells
Yendoll John B., Llanhilleth hotel
Burgess William E., Davy Graig
Cooper Edwin J., Davy Graig
Lewis Robert, Lydia Ann Terrace
O'Sullivan John Daniel
Rawlings Sidney J., The Firs
Webb John Richard, Brondeg house
Allen James, Walpole Arms hotel
Bond James H. station master
Clarke Joseph, grocer & beer retailer
Cook George, grocer
Evans Elizabeth, blacksmith
Edmunds Ebenezer, grocers & draper, & agents for W. & A. Gilbey Ltd,. wine & spirit merchants
Edmunds Thomas, grocer & ale & porter merchant
Harris Thomas, School Board Attendance Officer
Holyfield Sam, shopkeeper
Isnacs John, farmer, Pant-du
James & Emanuel, colliery owners, Arrill colliery
James Henry (Mrs.), Ivorites Arms P.H.
Jenkins Thomas, wheelwright
Lewis David, steam joiner & builder & contractor
Lewis William, shopkeeper
Nicholas Rees, farmer
O'Sullivan John Daniel, LRCSI, LA&S(Dublin), surgeon
Partridge, Jones & Co. Ltd., colliery proprietors, (William Davies, manager) Llanhilleth colliery
Powell, Henry (Executors of), colliery proprietors, Aberbeeg colliery
Rowland John Edward, Ironmonger
Simmons William Harris, commercial traveller, Lydia Ann terrace
Thomas William, grocer & draper
Twissell Edwin, china &c. dealer
Twissell Herbert, hair dresser
Weale William, colliery agent & shopkeeper
Webb Brothers & Co. brewers
Webb J. R. & T. A. wine & spirit merchants
Yendoll James, Hanbury Arms P.H.