The church of St. Michael is a small building of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south porch and a small western bell turret containing 2 bells: there are sittings for 80 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1758; marriages, 1757. The living is a rectory, net income £90, with residence and 27acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, and held since 1871 by the Rev. James Blower, B.A. of Jesus college Oxford, who is also vicar of Llangeview.
The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Edward James Phillips esq., of Woodlands, near Pontypool (d. 1900), are chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat. The area is 545 acres; rateable value, £584; the population in 1891 was 52.
Post office: Alfred Matthews, sub-postmaster.
Letters by messenger from Usk at 7 a.m. dispatched at 5.20 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued, but not paid. Usk is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children attend the schools at Usk, Llandenny & Llangwm Ucha.
PRIVATE & COMMERCIAL
Blower Rev. James B.A., Rectory house, Court-y-gollen
Evans Edward, farmer, Steps farm
Jenkins James Thomas Edward, farmer,
Pritchard Thos., farmer, Church farm
Williams Jsph., farmer, Slough farm
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids