Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANGATTOCK-NIGH-USK
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANGATTOCK-NIGH-USK
LLANGATTOCK-NIGH-USK is a parish and village, on the road from Abergavenny to Usk and Monmouth, the river Usk bounding the parish on the south, close to the Penpergwm railway station ' which is in this parish, on the Great Western line from Abergavenny to Newport, 3 miles south-southeast from Abergavenny, 7 north-west from Usk, and 7 south from Pontypool, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and i western belfry containing one bell: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1597; the earlier records are much decayed.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value 260, with100 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. and held since1883 by the Rev. William Booth Corfield M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Llangattock House is the residence of the Hon. Mrs. Fitzmaurice. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G., who is lord of the manor, Lord Tredegar, Sir William Thomas Lewis, of The Mardy, Aberdare, and William Reginald J. F. Herbert esq. of Clytha Park, are the principal landowners.

The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, turnips and pasturage. The area is 1,586 acres of land and 39 of water, rateable value 3,940; the population in 1801 was 265.

Parish Clerk, Cornelius Hicks.

Post & M.O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office - Cornelius Hicks, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Abergavenny at 6.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. week days only. The nearest telegraph office is at Llanvihangel-near-Usk.
Wall Letter Box, Ivy cottage, cleared at 4.50 p.m. week days only A School Board of 5 members was formed 29 March,1875.
William Haines, Y-Bryn, Llangattock-High-Usk, Abergavenny, clerk to the board.

Board School (mixed). built in 1878 &, enlarged in 1898, for 65 children; average attendance, 46.
Mrs. Jane Drew, mistress

Penpergwm Railway Station, Richard James Edwards, station master.

PRINCIPAL & COMMRCIAL RESIDENTS
Corfield Rev. Wm. Booth M.A.(rector)
Fitzmaurice Hon. Mrs. Llangattock House
Gillman Maj. Edward Sylvester, Bryncaen
Haines William, Y-Bryn
Boyt John, farmer, Mount Pleasant
Evans George, market gardener, Red House
George Isaac, farmer, Brooklands
Haines Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer. Bryn
Hicks Cornelius, sub-postmaster
Hughes Emily (Mrs.), farmer, Penpergwm
Maddocks Cartwright, farmer, Park Lettice
Matthews William Edward, farmer, Llangattock court
Morgan David, farmer, Llangattock farm
Morgan Sarah (Mrs.), King of Prussia P.H. & coal dealer
Phillips Michael jun., farmer, Upper court
Price, Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Mount Pleasant
Pritchard John, farmer, Bryn Rhydderch & Angel hotel, Abergavenny. See advertisement
Pritchard Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Richards Rachel (Mrs.), farmer, Llangattock lodge
Sheen William, farmer, Fedw
Watkins Jas. wheelwright & blacksmith
White James, farmer, Llyn Cecil
Williams Hannah (Mrs.) & Son, farmers, Great house
Williams Thomas Davies, farmer, Llangattock Mill farm
Williams William Morgan, farmer assistant overseer, Tynant


dex