Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED
LLANGATTOCK LLINGOED is a parish and small village, 3 miles east from Llanvihangel station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7 northeast from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: between the chancel and nave is a beautiful rood screen of the date of Henry VI.

The church plate includes a chalice and paten of hammered silver, the latter forming a cover: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 85, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1894 by the Rev. George Beynon Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are some quarries of very good stone, much used for building purposes. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Reginald Vaughan esq. of Glen Trothy, Llantillio Crossenny are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand, subsoil, heavy clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, apples, with much pasture land. The area is 1,944 acres, rateable value, 1,436, the population in 1891 was 181.

Post Office.- Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Llanvihangel Crucorney is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant

National Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1848, for 50 children & since enlarged in 1887. Average attendance, 47, & supported in part by an endowment of 400 bestowed in 1849 by James Davies, formerly of Devauden, to whose memory a tablet was erected in the chancel of the church ; Jonathan Badcock, master.

Jones Rev. George Beynon B.A. (rector), Rectory

COMMERCIAL.
Blick Harriett (Mrs.), farmer, Kellea
Davies James M. farmer, Great park
Davies John, farmer, Cross Ways
Davies John, farmer, Little park
Davies Joseph, shopkeeper. Post office
Davies Thomas, farmer, Old court
Davies Thomas, farmer, Upper Kellea
Davies William, farmer, Hendre
Husbands Robert, farmer, Great Cwm
Johnson Robert, farmer
Jones Samuel, farmer, Pen-y-Rheol
Jones Eleanor (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Kellea
Jones William, farmer, Tump
Preece Simon, farmer, Penrose farm
Thomas David, Carpenters' Arms P.H.
Watkins George, farmer, Pwllaca
Williams Edward, farmer, Pentra


dex