A feeder of the river Trothy flows through the parish. The church of St. Cadoc, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1875, at a cost of £2,500, by Lord Llangattock, in memory of his father, is a building of stone in the Early Enghsh and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle and western tower containing 6 bells, 3 of whch are dated 1707, the remainder having been recast during the present century: the east and west windows (both Perpendicular insertions) are stained, and there are four others : the chancel retains sedilia and a credence formed in the sill of the south and north windows respectively: the reredos of alabaster and marble was given by Mary Octavia Rolls in 1875, in memory of her father, and there is also an alabaster screen: there are several brass and stone tablets dating from the early part of the 17th century, to the Evans family, formerly seated at Llangattock Manor, and two tablets of the present century to the Rolls family: here are 220 sittings. The register dates from the Year 1683. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Llanfaenor and the vicarage of St. Maughan annexed, joint net yearly value £230, in the gift of Lord Llangattock, and held since 1875 by tlle Rev. Alexander Maclaverty, M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford.
At Llanfaenor, 2 miles northwest, is an ancient chapel of ease, restored in 1859, and consisting of chancel, nave,south porch and a western turret containing one small bell. The east window is stained, and the flooring is of ornamental wood work: there are 50 sittings.
Here are several stone quarries. Charities producing about £17 are distributed yearly. Near the post office is the stump of the once famous tree known as "The Glendower Oak," which has a girth of 27 feet: in the immediate vicinity is Croft Hir spring, commonly called "The Wishing Wells," where formerly seven different kinds of water were supposed to exist.
The Hendre, a handsome mansion of brick and stone, in the Norman and Tudor styles, is the seat of Lord Llangattock, D.L., J.P., F S.A. One of the many avenues of Scotch firs planted to commemorate, the union of Scotland with England leads from the road towards the church.
Lord Llangattock, who is lord of the manor, James Graham esq. of Hilston Park, St. Maughans, the trustees of the late Col. Evans and Henry Watkins Lewis esq. of Treherbert, are the principal landowners.
The soil is clay; subsoil, old red sandstone and part clay. The chief crops are wheat,. oats, clover and some barley. The area is 4,313 acres; rateable value, £3,470; the population in 1891 was 475.
NEWCASTLE (Novum Castrum), 1¼ miles north, is a hamlet, and derives its name from the fortress which anciently stood here, surrounded by a moat. Very little, however, is known of its history. In the reign of King Edward III it belonged to the Huntleys.
Post Office, Newcastle
Mrs. Jane Lucy Jones, subpostmistress.
Letters from Monmouth arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order, savings bank& telegraph office is at The Hendre, 3 miles distant.
Chairman: Lord Llangattock F.S.A., D.L., The Hendre, Monmouth
Bradney Col. Joseph Alfred, B.A., D.L., Talycoed court, Monmouth
Graham Douglas William esq., Hilston park, Monmouth
James esq. D.L., Hilston park, Monmouth
Jackson Sir Henry M. Mather, bart., M.A., D.L., Llantillio court, Abergavenny
Jackson Robert Newton esq., Glen Monnow, Ross
Price Joseph Thomas esq., Rockfield park, Monmouth
Rolls Hon. John Maclean, B.C.L., D.L., The Hendre, Monmouth
Vaughan Reginald esq., Glen Trothy, Llantillio-Crossenny, Abergavenny
Walwyn Col. James Harford, Croft-y-Bwla, Monmouth
Clerk to the Magistrates: Trevor Addams-Williams, Monmouth
Petty Sessions are held at Police court, Graig, the third Wednesday in the month at 11.
The following parishes are included in the Petty Sessional Division:
Grosmont, Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, Llangua, Llantillio-Crossenny (Upper & Lower), Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern, St. Maughans and Skenfrith
Biggs James, farmer, Middle Hendre
Bowen David, farmer, Llan farm
Cowles Thos., farmer, Upper Hendre farm
Evans Thomas, farmer, Pencoed
Denston William, farmer, New farm, Newcastle
Griffiths Edward, farmer, Newcastle farm
Jones George, blacksmith to Lord LIangattock, Hendre
Jones Jane Lucy (Mrs.), grocer & draper, Post office, Newcastle
Jones James, farmer, Letterovane
Jones William, farmer, Llancrever
Lipscombe Clement John, land agent to Lord Llangattock, Cross-vaen
Lloyd David, farmer, Grove farm
Lloyd Thomas, farmer, Grange farm
Long James (exors. of), farmers, Llandister
Long William (exors. of), farmers, Little Llanlewith
Morgan Henry, farmer, Great Llanlewith
Nicholas John, farmer, Lower Hendre
Phillips James, boot & shoe maker
Price John, farmer, Great Crwys Red House farm
Sibbons Arthur, farmer, Far farm
Sibbons David, Wellington inn, farmer & wheelwright, Newcastle
Stephens James, grocer, The Post office, Hendre
Thairs William, beer retailer & shopkeeper, Newcastle
Williams William, farmer & miller (water), Little Mill farm