Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - PENTERRY
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
PENTERRY
PENTERRY is a parish, a short distance north of the river Wye, 3 miles north-by-west from Chepstow station on the Great Western Railway, in the Southern division ,of the county, upper division of the hundred of Caldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, and is in the rural deanery of Chepstow, ,archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Mary is a small stone structure, some part of which is of considerable antiquity, but it was repaired and thoroughly modernized in 1863. It consists of a nave with a western porch, built in 1882, and an open western bell-turret, containing one bell. There are 90 sittings. There are some remains of the old churchyard cross. The register dates from the year 1721.

The living is a vicarage, annexed to St. Arvan's in 1888, joint net yearly income 200, with 93 acres of glebe here, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Duke of Beaufort alternately , and held since 1887 by the Rev. John Tilley, who resides at St. Arvan's.

The well-known ruins of Tintern Abbey are within a mile, and the Wyndcliff, from which a magnificent prospect is obtained, is within ten minutes' walk. The beautiful grounds and walks of Piercefield are distant one mile and a quarter.

The principal landowners are the Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Henry Clay esq. of Piercefield Park, and George Smedley esq., of Tutshill.

The soil is a sandy loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 479 acres, rateable value 242 and the population in 1891 was 17.

Parish Clerk: C. Owen.

Letters through Chepstow arrive at 8.30 a.m. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at St. Arvan's, about 1 miles distant. Letter Box cleared at 4.15 & 7.10 p.m.

The children attend St. Arvan's day & Sunday schools.

Principal resident: Mr James Whitman, farm bailiff to Mr Alexander Dick.


dex