Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - KEMEYS-INFERIOR
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
KEMEYS-INFERIOR
KEMEYS INFERIOR is a parish, on the river Usk and the high road from Newport to Chepstow, 3 miles north from Llanwern station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, 8 north-east from Newport, 12 west from Chepstow and 7 south from Usk, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Usk, petty sessional division and union of Newport, county court district of Usk, rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of All Saints is a building of native stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western turret containing 1 bell: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1701.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value from tithe rent-charge 92 in the gift of Holford Cotton Risley esq. of Deddington, Oxfordshire, and held since 1895 by the Rev. William Henry Williams B.A. of Oxford University, who is also rector of and resides at Llangstone.

The ancient Manor House, once a residence of considerable pretensions, is now a farm-house. The Duke of Beaufort and Holford C. Risley esq. who are lords of the manor, William Henry Phillips Jenkins esq. of St. Pierre, Chepstow, R. Bedlington esq. and Miss MuntIey, are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots. The area is 1,622 acres of land, 25 of tidal water and 9 of foreshore; rateable value, 1,379; the population in 1891 was 122.

Parish Clerk, William Collins.

Letters received from Newport by messenger from Caerleon, arriving at Kemeys about 8.30 a.m. & returning to that town immediately. Caerleon is also the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 2 miles distant.

The children of this parish attend the schools at Llandevaud.

Jones Thomas Jacob, Bullmoor house

COMMERCIAL
Evans Francis, wheelwright
Gale William, farmer, Grey house
Goad Frank Brockerby, farmer, Hendre
Harper Morgan, farmer, Pentycrugen
Jones Sydney, farmer, The Graig
Moxham Alfred, farmer, Gt. Ballmoos
Moxham Joseph, farmer, Kemeys ho.
Rosser Edward, farmer, Caerlicken
Skinner James, farmer, Aberriant
Summers William, Rising Sun P.H
Wilmot William, farmer, Kemeys Folly