Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
BEDWELLTY
including
ARGOED, BARGOED, BLACKWOOD, PENGAM and ROCK

BEDWELLTY is a very large parish and head of a petty sessional division and union, 181 miles from London, 16 north-west from Newport, 15 north-west from Pontypool, and 8 south from Tredegar, in the, Western division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, Tredegar county court district, rural deanery of Bedwellty, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

There are stations here called Bedwellty Pits and Holly Bush, both on the Sirhowy branch of the London and North Western railway. The parish is governed by an Urban District Council of nine members, formed in May, 1891, under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 & 57 Vict. c.73)

The church of St. Sannan is an ancient stone building, in the Early English style, standing on the top of a hill, midway between Argoed and Bargoed railway stations, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: an organ was presented in 1900 by Evan Thomas esq. of Builth, in memory of his wife, Rachel Thomas (Ella): the church was restored in 1858, and in 1882 was thoroughly repaired, and has 300 sittings: the churchyard was also enlarged, and is now 5 acres in extent. The register dates from the year 1624. The living is a rectory, with Blackwood and Fleur-de-lys annexed, net yearly value 297, with residence, and 4 acres glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1893 by the Rev. Richard Jones, who is a surrogate. A cemetery has been formed.

The parish contains manv iron works and collieries. Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Miss Williams, the Ebbw Vale Co. Limited, the trustees of the late Lady Llanover, the trustees of the late Colonel John Yerbury Moggridge R.E., Edward Lewis esq., John Davies James esq. J.P., D.L. of Blackwood, and the Tredegar Iron Company are the principal landowners.

The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 16,056 acres of land an d 188 of water; rateable value, 42,309 ; the population in 1891, was 38,953, of which 4,728 are in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Sannan.

The following villages and places are within the parish of Bedwellty:
Argoed, Bargoed, Blackwood, Briery Hill, Ebbw Vale, George Town, New Town, Pengam, Pontygof, Rock, Rhymney, Tredegar, New Tredegar and Victoria.

(N.B. Ebbw Vale, Rhymney and Tredegar, with George Town, will be found under separate headings. Briery Hill, New Town, Pontygof and Victoria will be found under Ebbw Vale.)

Sexton and Parish Clerk: Thomas Daniel.


Letters received through Newport at 8.30 a.m. Blackwood is the nearest telegraph office, about 2 miles distant, & Argoed the nearest M.O. office.
Wall Letter Box, cleared 9 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. weekdays only.
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
Meets at the Council Office, Pengam, on Mondays
monthly, at 3.45 p.m.

Members

Chairman: Rees Thomas Edward Davies, L.R.C.P.(Edin.)

Vice-Chairman: Nehemiah Phillips.

Retire in April, 1901
John Meredith       Jeremiah Phillips       Morgan Thomas

Retire in April, 1902
Reubon Gold       Richard Morris       David Phillips

Retire in April, 1903
R. T. E. Davies L.R.C.P.(Edin.)       Walter Lewis       Henry Pope

Officers

Clerk: John Alexander Shepard, Town hall, Tredegar
Treasurer: Edward Jones, London & Provincial Bank, Tredegar
Medical Officer of Health: Howell Thomas Evans, M.R.C.S.(Eng.), D.P.H.Camb., Blackwood
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector: John Harry Lewis, Blackwood
Assistant Sanitary Inspector: Frederick Hynam, 17 Dufferyn terrace, New Tredegar
Collector: Evan Jones, Woodbine, Blackwood

Bedwellty Union; for particulars see Tredegar.


SCHOOLS

A School Board of 11 members was formed for this parish 31 May, 1871; the Board meets at the Board room, Castle street, Tredegar, at 10.30 a.m
Clerk: Charles Dauncey, Castle street, Tredegar
Attendance Officer: David Thomas, Argoed

Schools administered by the Board

Bedwellty (infants), opened in 1892, for 35 children; average attendance, 23.
Miss E. Jones, mistress.

Manmoel (mixed), built in 1880, for 53 children; average attendance, 31.
Miss Kate Lewis, mistress.

Holly Bush (mixed), built in 1884, for 74 children; average attendance, 58.
Miss Lewis, mistress.


RAILWAY STATIONS

Bedwellty Pits: William Davies, station master
Holly Bush: David Williams, station master
ARGOED is a village in the parish of Bedwellty, with a station on the Sirhowy line of the London and North Western railway, 179 miles from London and 6 south from Tredegar. Here are Welsh Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are several collieries in the neighbourhood, and a corn mill, turned by the Sirhowy river.

Post & M.O.O. & S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
James Thomas, sub-postmaster. Letters through Newport, arrive at 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched 8.35 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.
Blackwood is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box cleared daily (except sunday) at 6 p.m

Board School (mixed), built in 1899, for 250 children; average attendance, 170.
John Evans, master; Miss Ellen Jane Jones, mistress.

Railway Station: Evan Jones, station master


BARGOED is another village, with a station on the Rhymney branch of the London and North Western railway, 180 miles from London. Here is a Welsh Baptist chapel.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Edward Lewis, sub-postrnaster.
Letters from Cardiff arrive 6.40 a.m., 1 p.m. & 5 p.m. ; depart 11.30 a.m., 4.30 p.m. & 6.30 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 am. to 8 p.m


BLACKWOOD is a large village, about half a mile long, in a beautiful valley, through which flows the river Sirhowy, and has a station on the Newport and Sirhowy branch of the London and North Western railway, 8 miles south from Tredegar and 7 south-west from Pontypool: it is lighted with gas from works the property of the Blackwood Gas Co.

St. Margaret's, a chapel of ease to Bedwellty, erected in 1876, is a small building of stone with Bath stone dressing in the Gothic stvle, consisting of chancel, nave and western turret containing one bell. The Rev. John Alfred Rees B.A. of St. David's, Lampeter, has been curate in cha e, since 1898. The large public hall, holding 600 people, is used for public meetings and entertainments. Here is an iron foundry and two collieries.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Blackwood.
Edmund Edmunds, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Newport at 6.10 & 9.30 a.m. & 2.45 p.m. ; dispatched at 11.15 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days only.
Wall Letter Box at Rock Foundry, cleared 9.15 a.m. 6.55 p.m. week days only.


COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR BEDWELLTY PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Chairman:
James John Davies esq., D.L., Myrtle grove, Blackwood, Newport

Brown George Arthur esq. The Willows, Tredegar
Dakers John esq. 40 Ombersley road, Newport
Davies Rees Thomas Edward L.R.C.P.Edin., Cae Glas, New Tredegar
Davies William Henry esq. Cwmdows, Newbridge, Newport
Evans Howell Thos. esq. The Laurels, Blackwood, Newport
Goldsworthy Thomas esq. Camborne villa, Gold Top, Newport
Green John esq. Pentwyn, Blackwood, Newport
Grove Edwin esq. D.L. Brendon view, Stow park, Newport
James Phineas esq. Abercarn, Newport
James Gwilym Cristor esq. Gwaelod-y-Garth, MerthyrTydfil
Jones Edwin Southwood esq. Danygraig, Risea, Newport
Jones George esq. Victoria house, Abercarn, Newport
Jones Samuel Nathan esq. Duffryn house Abertillery R.S.0
Lewis Edmund Roger esq. Rock cottage Blackwood, Newport
Llewellin William esq. Morants court, Sevenoaks
Lyne Col. Charles D.L., Bryn Hyfrydd, Stow hill, Newport
Marsh Charles William Earle esq D.L. Rockdale, Stow park, Newport
Phillips Edward esq. Bryn Glas, Ebbw Vale R.S.O.
Phillips James esq. Laurels, Nant-y-Glo R.S.0
Phillips Nehemiah esq., Brynsyfi, Elliotstown, New Tredegar
Phillips Titus esq. Gwynfrin, Bryngwyn road, Newport
Powell Lt.-Col. William Hy. 30 Stow Park avenue, Newport
Pugh Thomas Philip esq. Morgan street, Tredegar
Richards David Theophilus M.D. The Meadows, Risca, Newport
Routledge, William Henry esq. Blackwood, Newport
Smith William esq. Rhymney R.S.O.
Stanfield John esq
Stewart Williain esq
Thomas Edmund esq., Gellyhaf, Maesycwmmer, Cardiff,
White, Thomas Philip esq. Hill View house, Maes-y-cwmmer, Cardiff
Wilkinson George William esq., Risca house, Newport
Williams Benjamin Francis, Q.C., B.A., 38 Craven Hill gardens, Hyde Park, London W
Williams Edmund Jones esq. Coed Jowy, Abertillery R.S.O.
Williams Wm. Edwin esq., Ty Clyd, Govilon, Abergavenny
Wolstenholme Matthew esq., Llanfoist house, Abergavenny
The chairmen, for the time being, of the Abercarn, Abertillery, Bedwellty, Ebbw Vale, Rhymney, Risca & Tredegar Urban District Councils are ex-officio magistrates.

Clerk to the Magistrates: Edward Homfray Davies, Tredegar

Petty Sessions are held at the Police station, Blackwood, every alternate friday, at 10.30 a.m.
The following places are included in the petty sessional division:Abercarn, Abertillery, Aberystruth, Bedwas (Upper & Lower), Bedwellty, Clawrplwyf, Ebbw Vale, Islawrcoed, Manmoel, Mynyddislyn, Mynyddmaen, Penmaen, Rhymney, Tredegar, Uwchlawrcoed, & such parts of the parishes of Beaufort, Dukestown, Llangattock, Llangynider, Llechryd & Rassaw as now form part of the administrative county of Monmouth.


BEDWELLTY RURAL DISTRICT COU NCIL

Meets at Pengam, every four weeks on monday, 3.45 p.m.

Chairman, Rees T. E. Davies, New Tredegar
Clerk: John Alexander Shepard, Town hall, Tredegar
Treasurer: Edward Jones, London & Provincial Bank,Tredegar
Medical Officer of Health: Howell Thomas Evans, Blackwood
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector: John H. Lewis, Blackwood
Assistant Sailitary Inspector: Frederick Hynam, NewTredegar

County Police Station: Constable William Harvey in charge & P.C. Richard Lewis

Board School (mixed & infants), built in 1877, & enlarged in 1896, for 400 children; average attendance, 200 boys & girls & 120 infants.
Owen Edwards, master; Miss Mary Powell, infants' mistress

Railway Station (L.&N.W.R.), Cornelius Bohane, station master


PENGAM is a village in the parish of Bedwellty, in a valley on the river Rumney, with a station on the Brecon and Merthyr railway and on the Rhymney branch of the London and North Western railway, 6 miles south from Rhymney. There is a Baptist chapel, and in the neighbourhood are many collieries.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Llewellyn Edward Jenkins, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Cardiff, arrive, 6.35 a.m. ; dispatched 11.30 a.m., 4 p.m. & 6.40 p.m

Board School (mixed), built in 878, for 276 children; average attendance, 140 boys & girls & 97 infants.
David Williams, master; Mrs. Williams, infants' mistress.

Railway Station: Edmand Makepeace, station master.


ROCK is a hamlet, 1 mile from Blackwood Railway station. Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Letters through Newport arrive at 8.45 a.m. Blackwood is the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 1 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, cleared daily (sunday excepted), 5.15 p.m.


PLACES OF WORSHIP

With times of services.

Bedwellty (St. Sannan), Rev. Richard Jones, rector; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m
Blackwood (St. Margaret's), Rev. John Alfred Rees B.A. curate in charge; 8, 10.15 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wednesday, 7 p.m
Pengam (Mission Room), 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7 p.m.
Baptist, Argoed (Welsh & English), Rev. Evan George; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon, & thurs. 7 p.m
Baptist, Bargoed (Welsh), Rev. David F. Walters, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; mon. & thurs. 7.30 p.m
Baptist, Blackwood (English) (Mount Pleasant), 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
Baptist, Blackwood (Welsh) (Libanus); 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; men. & thurs. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Pengam; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist (Rock); 10.30 a.m. (Welsh) & 6 p.m. (English)
Congregational, Blackwood (Welsh), Rev. Pryce William Hough; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Congregational, Bargoed (Holly Bush), Rev. D. Leyshon Evans; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Congregational (Welsh), Trelyn (Salem), Rev. Llewellyn Edward Jenkins
Primitive Methodist, Blackwood; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m
Wesleyan, Blackwood, Rev. Benjamin Nume; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.


BEDWELLTY

PRIVATE
Jones Rev. Richard, (rector & surrogate)
Jones Mrs., Tan-y-llan
Thomas Morgan, Bedwellty cottage

COMMERCIAL
Cemetery (E. D. J. Tapson, Tredegar, clerk to the burial board)
Daniel Thomas, stone mason
Davies David, farmer, Manmoel
Davies David, farmer, Coedmoeth
Davies David, farmer, Cefn-Manmoel
Davies Jonathan, farmer, Twyn G y
Davies Margaret (Mrs.), Hollybush P.
Davies Richd.(Mrs.),farmer, Pontygwaith
Evans David, farmer, Penyrheol
Green Albert, blacksmith
Howells John, farmer, Gwaelody-waun
Hughes Isaac, farmer, Penywyrlod
Isaac William, farmer, Lower farm
James Edmund, farmer, Coedybrain
James William, farmer, Cefn forest
Jenkins Elizabeth (Mrs.), Ancient Druid P.H
Jenkins William, farmer, Cwrt Coch
Jones Jehoida, farmer, Tir-y-pentre, Manmoel & Penrhiwglas
Jenkins Lewis, farmer, Penyrheol
Lewis Henry, farmer, Havodtrisclosfach
Llewellin David, farmer,Havodtrisclosucha
Morgan Wm., butcher, Cwmynysfwg
Mutlow Charles, farmer, Pencoed-fach
Price Thos., farmer, Penrhiwffawyddog
Pritchard Wm., farmer, Cefn-Rhychdir
Pugh Eleazer, farmer, Pencoed-fawr
Sanders Rees, Church inn
Saunders Lewis, farmer, Pantsarn
Spencer James, farmer. Rhos-wen
Thomas Jane (Mrs.), New inn
Thomas Morgan, mechanical engineer, Bedwellty cottage
Thomas Thos. Jn., farmer, Neuadd wen
Watkin John, farmer, Gelynos
Watkins Thomas, farmer, Maesyron


ARGOED

PRIVATE
George Rev. Evan (Baptist)

COMMERCIAL
Evans Louisa, (Mrs.), Argoed Arms P.H
Haines Samuel Arthur, grocer
Harris Wm. Jones, farmer, Argoed farm
Hopkins Edwin, ironmonger
Jenkins Rosser Isaac, grocer
Jones John, carpenter
Meredith David, shopkeeper
Morgan Thos., flannel manufacturer
Morgan William, farmer, Argoed-fawr
Morgan William Roger, shopkeeper
Phillips Edwin, bootmaker
Phillips James, hair dresser
Price Norman Thomas, architect
Richards Richd., farmer, Argoed ganol
Thomas David, school attendance officer
Thomas Jas., tailor, draper & Post office
Thomas John, butcher
Thomas John, boot & shoe maker
Watkins Richard , Castle P.H
White William, shopkeeper
Williams Thomas, builder


BARGOED

PRIVATE
Evans Rev. D. Leyshon (Congregational)
Jones John, Bryn beulog
Walters Rev. David F. (Baptist)

COMMERCIAL
Bevan Charles, boot maker
Edwards Daniel, builder
Edwards David, beer retailer
Edwards Mary Ann (Mrs.), Smiths' Arms P.H,
Jenkins, Thomas, shopkeeper
Johns Henry, beer retailer
Lewis Edward, grocer & Post office
Morgan Jenkin, beer retailer
Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Co. Ltd. (Joseph March Greenhow, mechanical engineer)


BLACKWOOD

PRIVATE
Bowen Rev. John M.A. Church view Edmunds Edmund, Glanffrwd Edwards Edward, Maes-y-garn Evans Rev. Robert (Welsh Congregational), Gronow house

COMMERCIAL
Evans Howell Thomas J.P.The Laurels
Glasier George Mason Glasier, Beaumont Fee
Green John, J.P., Pentwyn
Hough Rev. Pryce Wm. (Welsh Congregational)
James Miss Alice Catherine, Ty-Newydu
James John Davies, J.P., D.L., Myrtle grove
Jeremy Rev. Henry Anthony (Calvinistic Methodist) Brynhowy
Millett, John T., MSc., (assistant master Gelligaer County School),Twynfld
Lewis Edmund Roger, J.P., Rock cottage
Lewis John Harry, Bryncynon
Lewis Mrs. Sarah, Brondeg
Nume Rev. Benjamin (Wesleyan),Oak villa
Pond Christopher, Bloomfield
Rees Rev. John Alfred, B.A., (curate), Fernleigh
Stewart Mrs. E. E., Hillside
Treharne John Ellis, Sunnybank

COMMERCIAL
Blackwood Gas. Co. Lim. (Rd. Morris, manager)
Burriss Henry, shopkeeper, High street
Burriss Thomas, china dealer, High street
Caldwell Hugh, mining engineer & land surveyor, Oak villa
Chappell John Frederick, grocer
Coleman Abraham, greengrocer, High street
Coleman George, music ware., High street
Davies Emily Sophia (Miss), milliner, High street
Davies Matthew, shopkeeper, High street
Edmunds Edmund, ironmonger & post office
Edmunds Mary (Mrs.), earthenware dealer
Evans Howell Thomas M.R.C.S.Eng., L.A.H.Dub., D.P.H.Cambs., surgeon, & public vaccinator, Rock district, Bedwellty union, & certifying factory surgeon, medical officer of health for Bedwellty Urban District Council, The Laurels
Evans John, commission. agent, Glanyravon
Foster John, farm bailiff to Miss Williams, Maesyruddud, Oakleigh
Glasier George Mason Glasier, solicitor & commissioner to administer oaths, Beaumont Fee
Green John, farmer, Pentwyn
Harler Edward, Queen Victoria P.H., Cymysfiog
Hart Charles, Foresters' Arms P.H
Heal Moses, confectioner, High street, & baker & grocer, Lewis street
Hopkins William, Red Lion inn
Hughes Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, High street
Hughes Thomas, insurance agent, High street
Hunt Joshua, hair dresser & tobacconist, High street
Hyatt Dora (Mrs.), teacher of music, Oakland place
James Jabez Price, tailor, High street
James John Davies, surgeon, M.R.C.S.Eng., L.S.A., Myrtle grove
James William, carpenter, 6 Oakland place
Jenkins Ann (Mrs.), George P.H
Job Joseph, boot maker, High street
Jones Evan, assistant overseer, collector of parochial & Urban District rates & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for the Rock sub-district of Bedwellty union, Woodbine
Jones Evan Cromwell, grocer, Gelli shop.
Jones Lewis, draper & outfitter
Jones Thomas, farmer, Plas
Jones William, builder, Cefn road
Joshua John, Butchers' Arms P.H
Lewis Lewis & Son, colliery proprietors
Lewis David, quarry owner, Gellydywyll
Lewis Edward, farmer, Gellydywyll
Lewis John, farmer, Ty-isha
Lewis John, farmer, Berllanlwyd
Lewis John, beer retailer, High street
Lewis John Harry, surveyor & sanitary inspector to the Bedwellty Rural District Council
Lewis John Vinson, grocer & confectioner, High street
Llewellyn Edmund, beer retailer
Lloyd Emma Jane (Mrs.), Refreshment rooms, Temperance hall
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (sub-branch), open tues. & fri. 9.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m., High street ; draw on London office, 72 Lombard street EC
Lovell John, grocer & draper, High street
Makin Samuel, boot maker, High street
Matthews Edmund, registered lodging house, High street
Matthews Edmund, Royal Oak P.H
Matthews Thomas, furniture dealer, High street
Morgan James, boot & shoe maker
Morgan James, hair dresser & confectioner, High street
Morgan & Co., butchers, High street
Morris Richard, draper, grocer & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim. wine & spirit merchants
Neat & Co. boot warehouse, 68 High street
Parker John, confectioner, High street
Pond Christopher, colliery owner, Bloomfield
Price Charles, grocer & provision dealer, High street
Price Thomas, draper, 114 High street
Rowlands Edward, Tredegar Arms P.H., High street
Scudamore & Co., grocers & drapers, High street
Smith Charlotte (Miss), news agent, High street
Smith Arthur Emanuel, news agent High street
Sumption James, chemist
Temperance Hall (Mrs. Emma Jane Lloyd, caretaker)
Thomas Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Pitygwyddu
Thomas Thomas, Carpenters' Arms commercial & posting hotel; good stabling
Treasure Mary (Mrs.), Parrot P.H
Treharne John Ellis, iron, steel & brass founder, maker of the cornbined cast & wrought iron sleeper, colliery trams in steel, iron & wood; crucible steel & iron castings for collieries &c. Rock foundry
Tucker & Co., butchers, High street
Volunteer Battalion (2nd) South Wales Borderers ('H' Company, Capt. H. A. Biarell)
Walters Bros., Pennant stone quarry owners. Preswylfa Penmaen
Walters, Edward, grocer, High street
Weeks Thomas, shopkeeper, High street
Williams Edmund Davies (reps. of), colliery owner, Hollybush & New Hollybush collieries
Williams Mary Ann (Mrs.), Masons' Arms P.H
Williams Michael, insurance agent, 59 High street
Winslade William, general dealer, Bideford house, High street
Woodward William Chas., butcher, High street


PENGAM.

PRIVATE
Jenkins Rev. Llewellyn Edward, (Congregational)
Reidy William, Glanyrafon house
Wilson Percy W., M.A. (assistant master, Gelligaer County school), Ty newydd

COMMERCIAL
Alden Arthur, grocer
Harris Thomas, draper
Happenfield & Willans, colliery proprietors, Gwaulody waun (offices, G. W. wharf, Newport)
Howells John, farmer, Gwainborva
Jenkins Llewellyn Edward, stationer & post office
Jenkins Richard, shoeing & general smith
Matthews David, saddler
Rees William, Smiths' Arms P.H
Reidy William, L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas., physician & surgeon, Glanyrafon house
Yendoll Tom, Ivy Bush hotel


ROCK.

COMMERCIAL
Bevan Harriet (Mrs.), grocer
Johns John, wheelwright
Morgan William, blacksmith
Thomas Margaret (Mrs.), Rock P.H.