The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: on the north wall is a memorial to Julius Julianus, a soldier of the second legion: a new vestry has been added, given by the late Josiah Richards: there are 90 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1695; marriages and burials, 1711. The living is a rectory, net income £127, with 47 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of John Capel Hanbury esq, and held since 1866 by the Rev. Charles Thelwall Salusbury M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool Park is lord of the manor; and Mrs. Doyle is the principal landowner.
The soil is light; subsoil, stony. The land is about equally divided between corn and some pasture land. The area is 1,366 acres of land, 31 of tidal water and 6 of foreshore ; rateable value, £1,587; the population in 1891 was 168.
Parish Clerk and Sexton: John Badham.
Letters through Newport arrive at 8.30 a.m.
Wall letter box, Plas Llecha, cleared 8.40 a.m. & 4.15 p.m. week days only.
The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Usk & Caerleon, 4½ miles distant.
The nearest post office is at Llangibby.
The children of this parish go to the school at Llangibby
PRIVATE & COMMERCIAL RESIDENTS
(Marked thus * should be addressed Llanhennock.)
Firbank Edward J. Croes Onan
Richards Edward Windsor J.P., PIas Llecha
Salusbury Rev. Charles Thelwall M.A.Rectory
Bevan Levi, market gardener, Croesgoch
Evans Evan, farmer, Walnut Tree cottage
Evans John, farmer, Coed-y-fon
*Evans Thos. Rees, farmer, Great house
Howell Emma (Miss), The Newbridge hotel; good accommodation for cyclists & tourists
Hunt Henry, farmer, Croes Llwarch
*Keene William, Garn fawr
*Llewellin John, farmer, Garn-Vach
*Morgan Jervis, farmer, Cefn Henlla
Parry Thomas, shopkeeper
Pullen William, Baker, farmer & overseer, Ton farm