Seven-eighths of the parish was incorporated with the borough of Newport in 1889. The church of St. Mary is a building of local .stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a tower containing 2 bells, ,dated 1661: the stone staircase to the rood loft remains, and outside the east the bases of three lancet windows: the present east window, a Perpendicular insertion, was filled with stained glass by Mr. C. E. Kemp during 1890, as a memorial to the Rev. F. H. Archer, late vicar: the west window is also stained: the tower and south porch are Norman: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. W. Pope, a former vicar; and here likewise, there is a, flat monument, to which healing properties used to be attributed, and Dinovan (" Tour of South Wales," 1804) gives a picture of a man lying upon it in the year l803; on one night in the year only was the stone reputed to have these healing powers; authorities are divided as to the night in question, but it is said to have been the Wednesday night after Trinity Sunday: the church was restored during the period 1879-83, and affords 500 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1698; marriages, 1703; burials, 1701. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £274, with 90 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College (who take the great tithes, amounting to £50, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Edward Hobhouse Proctor Carter B.A. of Keble College, Oxford. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
A cemetery of 6 acres was formed in 1882 at a cost of £4,000, and contains one mortuary chapel; it is under the control of a burial board of seven members.
The parish is in several manors, but the largest rights are held by Eton College. Coldra House is the residence of Frederick Davies esq., J.P.
Eton College, Lord Tredegar, Lieut.-Col. Amelius Richard Mark Lockwood, of Bishop's Hall, Romford, Essex, Joseph Thomas Firbank esq. of Newport, Charles Herbert Firbank, of Llanhennock, John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool park, Thomas Godfrey Howell esq. of Neath, and the trustees of the late Miss Webb, are chief landowners.
The soil is sand and has subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 3,593 acres ; rateable value, £8,361; the population in 1891 was 13,955, of which 13,041 are in Maindee, now part of the borough of Newport.
CAERLEON VILLAGE, 1 mile north, is a hamlet.
Maindee, Liswerry and Somerton Common, formerly portions of this parish, were incorporated with the borough of Newport in 1899.
Parish Clerk: George Ward.
Post Office, Royal Oak.
Mrs. Mary Ann Barnes, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Newport at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched, 5.30 p.m. Postal orders issued here, but not paid. The nearest M.O. & telegraph office is at Caerleon, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Caerleon Village, cleared at 10.30 a.m. & 3.30 & 7 p.m. ; no collection on sunday. Caerleon, nearest Post & M.O. office.
County Constable: George Hughes.
(For names in Somerton road, see Newport.)
Brewer, Mrs, Dan-y-Graig
Brewer E.W.T. Llewellyn, Dan-y-Graig
Carter Rev. Edwd. Hobhouse Proctor B.A. (vicar), Vicarage,
Collett Thomas, Somerton place
Cory Mrs. Llanllecha hall
Davies Frederick J.P. Coldra house
Green John, Newbury house
Hunter Charles Wm., Penyland park
King William, Rose bank, Bishpool
Pain Mrs., Glanwern, Chepstow road
Rowe Mrs., Woodville
Smith Fred. A. Dovedale house, Bishpool.
Tovey James, Farmwood
Williams Mrs.Elizabeth, Mount St.Alban's
Adams Alfred, farmer, Treberth
Anstee, Enoch, market gardener, Farnwood gardens
Attewell Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Lakes farm
Attewell William, farmer, Great Teaston farm.
Bowe Elizabeth (Mrs.), Greyhound inn
Cemetery (Albert Augustus Newman, Newport, clerk to the burial board)
Collett Walter, shopkeeper
Cox Bence, farmer, Pwlpen
Davies Godfrey, farmer, The Mervale
Davies Thomas, florist & market gardener, Farmwood nursery, Chepstow road
Dent John George, Allway farm
Habberfielcl Ruscombe, farmer, Cot farm.
Haime Charles, market gardener, Christchurch road
Haime John Foord, farmer, Upper Lakes farm.
Hale Charles Hy., farmer, Bellevue
Hale John, farmer, Hartridge farm
Hamilton Louis, St. Julian's hotel
Hodges Henry, insurance agent, Bishpool
Holbrook Joseph Hy., farmer, Llanllecha farm
Hopgood Hannah (Mrs.), Royal Oak P.H.
Lewis Lydia (Mrs.), farmer, Scwborfach farm
Llewellyn Walter, butcher
Macdonald John, farmer, Bishpool
Morgan Rosser, farmer, Llanwern
Phillips Ebenezer, farmer & hay & straw dealer, Bryn Gwyn
Plaisted Edwin, dairyman, Bishpool
Powell Richard, tailor, St. Julian's park lodge
Toms John, farmer, Pontvane farm
Waters Charles, farmer, Coldra farm
Watkins George, farmer, Dranllwyn
Watkins William Hy., farmer, Cwm farm
Welsh Angustus J. R., farmer, Hartridge farm
Williams James, farmer, Little Milton
Williams John, Milton hotel & farmer
Williams Lewis Aug., farmer, Spitty farm
William William, farmer, Monkspool
Willett Nathan, dairy farmer, Hillside farm.
Wise Henry Harris, custom house officer, Glenview, Penylan park
Burtenshaw Arthur, The Grange
Edwards John, Ivy cottage
Garry Rev. William Walker, The Glen
Herbert Thomas J.P., The Hill
Mathias Theophilus, Glanyrafon
Morris Alfred, Lulworth house
Roberts Richard Thos., J.P., Belmont
Sach Henry, Bellevue
Weston William, Great house
Williams William, Ashwell house
Bennett Stanley, King's Arms P.H.
Binning Walter, Ship hotel P.H.
Collett Thos. cattle dealer, Vine cottage
Green James, plumber &c
Herbert Thos, J.P., solicitor
Jenkins Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper
Jones John, fisherman
Jordan Richard, grocer
Morris Alfred (Mrs.), ladies & preparatory school, Lulworth House
Sloman William, saddler
Vickery James, blacksmith
Waters Eliza (Mrs.), beer retailer
Williams David, market gardener, Yew Tree cottage
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids