VARTEG, CWMAVON, GARNDIFFAITH, GOLYNOS & TALYWAIN
ABERSYCHAN was constituted a civil parish under of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73); it now contains Garndiffaith, Pontnewynydd, Talywain and the hamlets of Cefnycrib, Cwm Avon, Cwmffrwdoer, Cwmnantddu, Freehold land, Golynos, Pentrepiod, Snatchwood, Tranch and Varteg.|
The village of Abersychan is at the confluence of the Sychan with the Tarfaen or Afon Lwyd. In 1844 it was formed into an an ecclesiastical parish from the civil parish of Trevethin ; it is 163 miles from London; 2 north-west from Pontypool, and has two railway stations, Abersychan on the Eastern Valleys branch of the Great Western railway and Talywain on the London and North Western branch of their line from Brynmawr to Pontypool.
It is in the Northern division of the county , petty sessional division, union and county court district of Pontypool, rural deanery of Blaenau Gwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.
The "Local Government Act, 1858" (21 & 22 Vict. c. 98), adopted June 3 1864, included the whole of the parish except Pontypoo1, but under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894," the parish is now governed by the Urban District Council, consisting of eighteen members.
The Abersychan Gas Company, formed in 1870, supplies gas from works near Abersychan railway station; water is obtained from works at Cwm Avon, the property of the Pontypool Gas and Water Co.
The civil parish contains portions of three ecclesiastical parishes viz. Abersychan, St Lukes and Trevethin. The church of St. Thomas, locally in the hamlet of Talywain, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and vestry, west porch and a western belfry containing one bell; there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1835.
The living i a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with 1½ acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the vicar of Trevethin, and held since 1877 by the Rev. William Rees Thomas MA. of Jesus.College, Oxford.
There is a Catholic chapel, built in 1863, and dedicated to St. Francis of Asisi, two Baptist chapels one Welsh and one English, and one English and one Welsh Congregational; there is also a Bible Christian chapel and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
Here is a Literary and Scientific Institution, founded 1864, in connection with the Societv of Arts.
The 'G' Company of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers was formed here in 1891, and numbers 70 rank and file
There is a police station here for the county constabulary, erected in 1885.
Abersychan House is the residence of Llewelyn Llewelyn Esq., JP, and Glansychan that of William Phillips James Esq., JP.
The soil is gravelly, subsoil, stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley and some land in pasturage. The area is 10,129 acres, rateable value, £43,441, and the population in 1891 was 15,296. The population of the St. Thomas ecclesiastical parish in 1891 was 8,843.
Parish Clerk: Robert Willis.
Post Office, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Telegraph Money Order, Express Delivery, Parcel Post, Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office - Mrs. Elizabeth Brain, subpostmistress.
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
Alfred H Bailey|
Thomas Hedges Deakin
Wm. J. James
Isaac Jeffries Edward Jones
John Daniel Jones
Llewellyn Llewellyn Esq
John Reese Morgan
Wilfred Wilson MD
Wm. Brown Mitchell
County Police Station: Sergt. Geo. Groves, & 6 constables.
Catholic School, (mixed), built 1863 (as chapel & school), for l00 boys & girls & 60 infants; average attendance, 80 boys & girls & 50 infants. Miss Norah Hennessy, mistress.
CWMAVON is a hamlet, with station on the Great Western railway, 5 miles north from Pontypool and one mile north-east from Blaenavon. The inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring collieries.
GARNDIFFAITH is a village, in this parish, half a mile north from Talywain station on the London and North Western railway and 3½ miles north from Pontypool. Here are Calvinistic, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels . The 'B' Company of the 3rd Volunteer South Wales Borderers, was formed here in 1859, and numbers 120 rank and file.
Post Office, M.0.0. & S.B. & Annuity & Insurance 0ffice - Richard Herbert, sub-postmaster
GOLYNOS is a hamlet adjoining the Varteg, about half a mile south-west from Talywain railway station and 4 northwest from Pontypool. Here are the mining works of the Lower Varteg Colliery Co Limited.
TALYWAIN is a hamlet, and has a joint station of the London and North Western and Eastern Valley section of the Great Western railway, about 2 miles north from Pontypool. Here is a Baptist chapel.
Post Office, M.0. & T.0., T.M.0., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Insurance & Annuuity & Telephone Exchange 0ffice-Llewelyn Barnfield, sub-postmaster.
VARTEG is a hamlet, with a station on the Abersychan section of the London and North Western railway, about 5½ miles north from Pontypool. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Chapels.
Post Office, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance 0ffice - Edward Webster, subpostmaster. Letters arrive from Pontypool at 5:55am & dispatched at 5:20pm. The nearsest telegraph office is at Talywain, 2 miles distant.
Board School (under Trevethin School Board), for 289 children, originally an old Wesleyan chapel; an infant school house has been added ; average attendance, 220; Alfred E. Pugh, master. Mrs.Charlotte Hankins, mistress.
Railway Station: Alfred Griffiths, station master.
St. Francis of Assisi Catholic, served from Pontypool; 9:00am & 11:00am & 6:00pm. Daily, 7:00am & 7:00pm.
Baptist (English); 11:00am & 6:00pm. Mondays and Thursdays; 7:30pm
Baptist (Noddfa) (English & Welsh), Rev.M.Moses, 11am & 6pm
Bible Christian, Rev. Thomas Nicholas; 11am & 6pm. Wednesdays, 7:30pm.
Congregational, Rev. John Llechryd Jones, 11am & 6 pm, Tuesdays, 7:30pm.
Congregational (English & Welsh), 11am & 6pm, Wednesdays, 7:30pm.
Primitive Methodist, 11am & 6pm, Wednesdays, 7:00pm.
Wesleyan, Rev. John Herbert Tite, 11am & 6pm, Tuesdays, 7:30pm.
Calvinistic Methodist, 10:30am & 6pm, and daily 7:00pm.
Congregational (Sardis), Rev David Morgan Davies. 11am & 6p.m, and Mondays & Wednesdays, 7:30pm.
Primitive Methodist, 11am & 6pm
Wesleyan, Rev. John Herbert Tite, 11am & 6pm, and Wednesdays, 7:30pm.
Edmonds, Mrs., Cwm-Avon house
Verity Abraham Robt. V D. Rosemoderis house
Wilson Wilfred MD Neville house
Hoskins & Llewellyn, Colliery Proprietors
Lewis John, Graigwen
Morgan Rev. John (Baptist), 39 Commercial road
Morgan Joseph,Rose cottage
Skyrme Mrs. J., Talywain house
Cooke Weed, furnace house
Davies, Andrew, JP, MD, Brynonen ho
Hall, Richard, Cwmffrwd house
Brace, Benjamin, shopkeeper
Herbert, Richard, grocer &c.
Lewis, David, Graigddu farm
Lower Varteg Colliery Co Ltd. (Thos. H. Deakin, managing director)
Probert, Abitha, (Mrs) grocer
Villiers, Georgina, (Mrs.), The Crown PH
Vipond, John & Co. Ltd., colliery proprietors (Frederick H. Davies, sec.)
Webster, Edward, boot maker & post office.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids