The church of St. Cadwallader is a small building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a fine embattled western tower containing one bell: the church was entirely restored in 1887 at a cost of £1,098: there are 90 sittings.The register dates from the year 1793. The church was broken into in 1821 and the earlier registers stolen. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Llanwern, joint net income £250, with residence, in the gift of The Misses Rous and the archdeacon of Llandaff alternately, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Jeffery Hooper, of St. David's College, Lampeter. Here is a Presbyterian Hall to hold about 40 persons.
The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The Misses Rous and Mrs. W. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Leicestershire, are the principal landowners.
The soil is a clayey loam; subsoil, clay and stone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,390 acres; rateable value, £3,943; and the population in 1891 was 166.
Thomas Davies, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Newport, arrive at 9.20 a.m. & dispatched 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office & telegraph office is at Magor, 3 miles distant
A School Board Of 5 members was formed 17th December, 1875.
Rev. J. Hooper, chairman & honorary clerk to the board.
Jeffery Jenkins, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), built in 1878, at a cost of £800, for 32 children ; average attendance, 26.
George Moss, master
Hooper, Rev. Jeffery, (vicar of Bishton & rector of Llanwern), Vicarage
Davies James, farmer, Common farm
Davies Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Davies Noah, farmer
Davies Reginald, farmer, Castle farm
Gale Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Heulan row
Gale Cecelia (Mrs.), farmer, Highmeadow farm
Gale, David, farmer, Village farm
Gale Hannah Mrs., New inn P.H.
George Benjamin, farmer, Great House farm
Rees Reginald, farmer
Rodway Abigail (Miss), farmer, Coeduspoeg farm
Rosser Morgan, farmer, Ridings farm
Tamplin Edward, farmer