Search billions of records on
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
BETTWS-NEWYDD is a parish, on the road from Clytha to Usk, 2 miles from Nantyderry station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford railway, and 4 miles north from Usk, in the Southern division of the county, Usk hundred and petty sessional division, union of Abergavenny, county court district of Usk, rural deanery of Raglan, archcleaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western turret containing 2 bells, and there is a beautiful roodloft: the church has been restored, and has 90 sittings. The register dates from the year 1734. The living is a rectory, with Trostrey annexed, joint net income 127, with glebe (94), in the gift of Sir A. J. Fludyer (baronet) and the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff alternately, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Herbert Sheppard M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge, who is also perpetual curate of Kemeys-Commander. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor, and Sir Arthur John FIudyer (baronet) of Ayston Hall, Uppingham, Rutland, is the principal landowner. The soil is gravelly, subsoil, gravel and lime. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, turnips and mangolds. The area is 1,129 acres ; rateable value, 867; the population in 1891 was 102.

Parish Clerk, Eli Brooks.

Post Office. James Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Usk, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Usk is the nearest money order office, and Nantyderry the nearest telegraph Office, 3 miles distant
Wall Letter Box, at Brook, cleared 4.50 p.m., week days only

Joint National School for the three parishes of Bettws-Newydd, Trostrey & Kemeys-Commander, built in 1872, for 60 children; average attendance, 44; William Appleby, master.

Brook Mrs., Brook house
Lane William, Bettws lodge
Oatley Mrs. Thornberry
Sheppard Rev. Herbert, M.A., The Rectory
Davies David, cattle dealer
Harris Catherine (Mrs.), farmer
Hobbs W. & A., farmers, Lower Berthlwyd
Williams Richard, haulier
Williams James, blacksmith, farmer & shopkeeper, Post office
Williams Thomas, farmer, Birch farm
Williams William Charles, Black Bear P.H