The church of St. David is a small edifice of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, western porch and a western bell turret containing 2 small bells: thereare 70 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1709, marriages, 1713, burials, 1711. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £107, in the gift of T. Colborne esq. of Newport, and held since 1866 by the Rev. James Blower B.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who is also rector of and resides at Gwernesney.
In this parish are almshouses, erected in 1625 by Roger Edwards esq. for 12 old and infirm persons, to be selected from the three parishes of Llangeview, Llangwm and Gwernesney; the founder also gave land for the support of the same by deed dated 1621; the management is in the hands of 14 trustees, of whom the vicar is one; the trustees for the charity were first elected in 1625: the Rev. William Watkins Jones, vicar of Llantrissent, has been chaplain of the almshouses since 1897.
The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. is lord of the manor, and W. H. P. Jenkins esq. of St. Pierre, Chepstow, and E. B. Reece esq. of Cardiff, are chief landowners.
The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat. The area is 1,462 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, £1,609; the populationin 1891 was 146.
Parish Clerk and Sexton, Thomas Morgan.
Letters from Usk by messenger at 7 a.m., returning thereto at 5.15 p.m. Usk is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this parish attend the schools at Llangwm Ucha & Usk.
Graham Arthur Gore, Bryn awel
Spencer Rees William J.P., Graigolway
Church Oliver, farmer
Cowles John, farmer
Davies Oliver, New inn
Derrett George, farmer
Dowle Henry, carpenter, Rose cottage
Francis Charles John, farmer, Llangeview farm
Jenkins Oliver, farmer, New House farm
Morgan Charles Ryan, beer retailer
Price William, farmer, Upper Mardee farm
Slade George, farmer, Mardee farm
Spencer Rees William, farmer, Graigolway