The church of St. Michael, restored in 1860, is an ancient, structure in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north-west porch and a western bell-turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1592. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £78, with 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Llandaff. There is a Bible, Christian chapel on the summit of the hill.
The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay.
The chief crops are seeds and roots. The area is 1,031 acres ; rateable value, £753 ; the population in 1891 was 136.
Parish Clerk, John Vaughan.
Letters through Chepstow & Usk arrive at 9 a.m. Llanishen is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Nearest Letter Box, Cobblers Plain, cleared at 6 p.m.
This parish is included in the United School Board district of Llanishen, Llanvihangel-Tor-y-Mynydd & Trelleck Grange, formed 30 Aug. I875, & the school is in Llanishen parish.
(Marked thus * letters through Usk.)
*Anstry Oliver, farmer, The Wern
Constance, Joseph, farmer, Star hill
Davies Edgar Morgan, castrator
Dowle Lewis Henry, farmer, Tor-y-mynydd farm
Dawes Job, farmer, Berthgrwn farm
*Frost John, farmer, Llanpill
Lane Mary (Mrs.), farmer, The Corn
*Morgan James, Star inn P.H.
Morgan Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Ty-mawr
Morgan Richard farmer, Star hill
Morris Thomas, farmer, Star hill
Price Alfred, shopkeeper
*Pritchard John. farmer, Llangunnog farm
*Thomas Isaac, farmer, Ty-bach
*Watkins Wm., farmer, Gwerninog farm
*Williams Jas. farmer, Court House farm
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids