Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

LLANVIHANGEL-YSTERN-LLEWERN



LLANVIHANGEL-YSTERN-LLEWERN, or Llanvihangel-Tavernbach, is a parish, on the road from Monmouth to Abergavenny and on the river Trothy, 5 miles west-by-north from Monmouth, 5 north-west from Dingestow station on the Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, and 8 from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, partly in the hundred of Skenfrith and partly in that of Raglan, petty sessional division of Skenfrith, union and county court district of Monmouth, Skenfrith highway district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Michael, restored in 1874-5, at a cost of 800, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret of wood and stone, containing 3 bells. There are monuments to the Hopkins family, and the church affords 150 sittings.The register dates from the year 1685.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value 164, with residence and 81 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1891 by the Rev. James Howell Bevan Powell, of Worcester College, Oxford.

Talycoed Court, a large, and handsome brick mansion in the Queen Anne style, erected in 1882, is the seat of Col. Joseph Alfred Bradney D.L., J.P., F.S.A.

Lord Llangattock, who is lord of the manor, Col. Bradney, the trustees of the late Col. Evans, R. A. Hewat esq. and the trustees of the late Rees Thomas are the principal landowners.

The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and some barley. The area is 1,856 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, 1,329; the population in 1891 was 159.

Parish Clerk, William Morgan.

Letters through Monmouth, arrive at 8 am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at The Hendre.

Onine Wall Letter Box cleared at 9.30 a.m. & 4 p m
Church Wall Letter Box cleared at 8 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.

Endowed School (infants), endowed by the Rev. Roger Thomas in 1730 with a house & land now producing about 10 annually, the present school was erected about 1840 , for 40 children; average attendance, 18.
Mrs. Mary Ann Frances, mistress

PRIVATE
Bradney Col. Joseph Alfred, D.L., J.P., F.S.A. Talycoed court; & Boodle's club, London S W
Powell Rev. James Howell Bevan, Rectory

COMMERCIAL
Bowcott Thos., farmer, Lower Red house
Bradley William, wheelwright, Onene
Ellaway Bros. farmers, Mill House farm
Evans Herbt. farmer, Parsonage farm
Evans John, farmer, The Grange
Evans Thomas, farmer, Lower house
Evans Thomas, farmer, White house
Frances Richard, farmer, Mardy farm
Jones Evan, farmer, Pont-yn-ychan
Jones George, haulier & farmer, Penpwllcalch
Lewis John, farm bailiff to Colonel Bradney.
Long Samuel, farmer, Upper House farm
Matthews Price, farmer, The Pant
Moses Henry, farmer, Sunny bank
Pitts Harriet (Mrs.), grocer, Onene.
Thomas Jn., farmer, The Court farm
Webb Isaac, farmer, Upper Red house


dex