Philo Goff (58) was born
16 February 1811 near Frankfort, Hancock County, Maine, a son
of John Goffe (49) and Jane Gregston (50). He came to the
Pittsburgh area with his family, arriving in December 1817.
Philo married Prudence Marie Brown (76) of Pittsburgh
in Allegheny City on 2 November 1830. Prudence was born in Virginia
in September 1812. Together they had eleven children: Milton Browning (95), born 17
December 1831; Rebecca J. (133), born about 1833; Mortimer
(129), born about 1835; Mary (128), born about 1837;
Ann (132), born about 1838; Nellie (130), born
about 1841; Elizabeth (288), born about 1843; Ada (289),
born about 1845; Francis Deborah (245), born about 1848;
and John Newton (131), born
Philo was a carpenter in Sewickly, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania,
where he moved in 1835. He was an ardent member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, as were other Goff members of his generation.
He belonged to the Sunday-school founded by John
R. Garrison (72), his brother in law, in Sewickly in
1837. In 1843, he was Treasurer, and in 1844, he was Secretary
of the Sunday- school.
He died in an industrial accident in Sewickly
on 15 April 1853. Originally buried in the Old Sewickly Graveyard,
he was later moved to the present Sewickly
Cemetery near his son, Milton Browning Goff.
After Philo's death, Prudence, left with a number of her own
children and orphaned children of a daughter to support, sold
land bought by Philo in Sewickly. She later moved to Allegheny
City (now Northside Pittsburgh). She died in Martinsburg, West
Virginia on 17 April 1876, and is buried in Sewickly
MBGoffObit, OCACMar1866N176, SewicklyCemRec,