Search billions of records on
Charles Inglis (1734 - 24 Feb 1816)
migration: Ireland - Lancaster, PA - Dover, DE - NJ - Halifax, Nova Scotia
CHARLES INGLIS, Anglican Bishop
INGLIS, Charles, Anglican bishop, born in Ireland in 1734; died in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 24 February, 1816. He emigrated to this country, and previous to 1759 took charge of the free school at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He was licensed by the Bishop of London in December, 1758, and appointed missionary at Dover, Delaware, by the Society for the propagation of the gospel, he labored there from 1759 till 1765, when he became assistant minister of Trinity church, New York city. In 1775 he replied to Paine's "Common Sense" by a pamphlet, which proved so offensive to the "Sons of Liberty" that they committed it to the flames. Two editions were printed subsequently at Philadelphia. Though requested to do so by Washington, he refused to omit the prayer for the king and royal family, and after the Declaration of Independence he caused his church to be closed, and retired in August, 1776, to Flushing, L. I., which was then in possession of the British.

After Washington's defeat he followed the royal army to New York, and was chosen rector of Trinity church in 1777. In 1781-'2 he was chaplain to the 1st battalion of New Jersey volunteers, and at the evacuation in 1783 went to Halifax. In 1787 he went to England, and on 12 August was consecrated at Lainbeth the first bishop of Nova Scotia, with jurisdiction over the other North American provinces, he had the distinction of being the first colonial bishop of the Church of England. In 1767 King's college (now Columbia) conferred upon him, and in 1770 he became one of the governors of the college, an office which he retained until his removal from the city.

He published " Essay on Infant Baptism" (New York); "A Vindication of the Bishop of Llandaff's Sermon" (New York); two sermons, and a letter in "Hawkins's Historical Notices."

His son, John, also bishop of Nova Scotia, and appointed a member of the council in 1825, died in London in 1850.--John's son, Sir John Eardley Wilmot, British soldier, born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1814; died in Hamburg, Germany, 27 September, 1862, took part in the campaign of the Punjaub in 1848-'9, and obtained the rank of lieutenant-colonel. His regiment was at Lucknow when that place was besieged by the Sepoys in the summer of 1857, and after the death of Sir Henry Lawrence he succeeded to the command, he was knighted and brevetted major-general.
Edited Appletons Encyclopedia
Copyright © 2001

page created: 03 Jun 2004 / updated: 06 Mar 2010
Web Design:
Learn more at:
© 2001-2012 Barbara English West. All rights reserved.