Hepzibah Primitive Baptist Church,
better known by most people as Red Hill, is located three miles
west of Oglethorpe. This church is said to be one of the oldest
churches, in Macon County. It is claimed to be over one hundred
years old. The old records have been destroyed or misplaced
so that the dates of the church cannot be determined. The names
of the elders and members that constituted the church cannot
be given as they were in the records that have been lost.
The earliest record that can be found of its activities
is that of 1831. Elder Sampson English was pastor of the church
at the time and the second log building was in use. Elder English
came to this county in 1831 from North Carolina, and was immediately
called to serve Hepzibah Church. He very ably filled this place
from that year until August, 1863. Elder Sampson English served
the church until October, 1876, at which time Elder s. Respess
was called. He served from then until 1884. In August, 1884,
the Church of Hepzibah met in conference and granted letters
of dismission to all of her members. It was decided to discontinue
meetings at this place. The members went from Hepzibah to Bluff
Springs Primitive Baptist Church.
In October, 1918, thirty-four
years since discontinuing meetings at Hepzibah Church, the members
met and decided to hold services there again instead of Bluff
Spring. Elder Bullard served as pastor of the church until July,
1823. Elder J. A. Bowen of Collins, Ga., was called to take
his place. He served faithfully until 1930. At that time Elder
J. H. Chance of Cochran, Ga., was called to serve Old Red Hill
Hepzibah Church is now a member
of the Uptoia Association. Elder J. W. Hartly of Cordele, Ga.
Is the present pastor and has been for the past 29 years.
To read the exact text see: page 179; "Macon County Life:
1933-1983" by Ryland Dean Fowler, editor; copyright 1983
by The Macon County Historical Society. Story posted here with
permission from Mr. Dean Fowler.