FROM NORTH CAROLINA they
moved to Georgia in a one-horse wagon and settled in a two-room
log cabin built all by himself. Located down on Camp Creek
in Macon County in the year of 1831 when the country was almost
an unbroken forest still infested with wild beasts and Indians.
TO THEM WERE BORN eight sons
and three daughters; namely: Robert, William, Samuel, Matthew,
Joseph, Thomas, Jasper, and Edwin; daughters: Frances, Sarah
and Mary. Seven of their sons served in the Confederate army
in 1861. From these have sprung the large English family,
who now reside in Macon County, and many others who have settled
SAMPSON ENGLISH was a man
of the strictest integrity, lived at home, boarded at the
same place, and produced on his farm all that his family used
or needed. He bothered nobody and was never known to have
a case in court.
THESE WORTHY CHARACTERISTICS seem to have been transmitted to his progeny, they attended
to their own business, made an honest living, paid their debts
and voted a Democratic ticket.
HE ORGANIZED AND BUILT the
first Primitive Baptist Church in this county and gave it
the name of Old Red Hill, which is located only three miles
from Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served this church as minister
until his death and was laid to rest in the Old English cemetery
five miles from this point in the same county.