John H. Jones and his
brother, William B. Jones, known as "Radicals,"
settled in the lower part of Macon County, Georgia in the
1820s and the place was called Hamburg. It was named for Hamburg,
Germany, because many of the settlers in this vicinity were
Germans. It was here that William B. Jones established a store,
ran a tavern and was postmaster. His daughter Sallie married
John R. Holsenback, her second husband was Whitmill Bunt Hill,
her third husband was Dr.Turner P. Oliver.
Sampson English and Jim Mathis came to this community in 1831. Tom
Harris settled on the place that was known as the Atwater
Place. His son, DeWitt Harris, invented a typewriter in later
years and it was said that he made a fortune. There was a
shop and a gin, and a mill on the stream known as Cook's Mill.
There was also a Baptist Church that was later moved to Oglethorpe.
When Thomas Hurry Morgan left Bolingbroke, Mass. in 1837, and came to Georgia
in a quest of health, little did he dream that he and his
descendants would form such a vital part in the history of
Macon County, Georgia. Tom Morgan settled at Hamburg, which
was a prosperous little village on the old stage road between
Macon and Columbus, and it was at this point that horses were
changed for the stagecoaches.
Hamburg was the junction of two Stage Routes. One went from Macon to Columbus and the
other from Hawkinsville (Hartford) to Columbus. This alone
in that day would make a thriving village, but besides this,
there was a nice hotel, doctor's office and two general stores,
one belonging to Morgan. Indians were here at this time and
traded in Morgan's store. In an old account book is an account
carried in 1850 against "Indian George." These Indians
bought by making signs as they could not speak our language.
Dr. Head was a prominent figure in Hamburg, and then Dr. T.
P. Oliver, a promising young physician, settled in Hamburg.
For the exact text see: page 142; "History
of Macon County Georgia", by Louise Frederick Hays; 1935.
Published by The County Commissioners as The Official History,
April 1933; Stein Printing Company, Atlanta, GA.