Page 22 1900 Joseph English -Questions for Applicant - Pension
Questions for Applicant
State of Georgia,}
....Joseph English ....of said State and County, desiring to avail himself of the
Pension Act approved December 15th, 1894, hereby submits his proofs, and after being duly sworn true answers to make the following questions, deposes and answers as follows:
1. What is your name and where do you reside? (Give State, County and post office) Joseph English, Englishville, Macon Co Ga.
2. How long have you been a resident of this State?
All my life.
3. When and where were you born?
March 1st, 1830.
4. When and where and in what company and regiment did you enlist or serve?
April 1862 in Americus Co D, 11th Battallion Artillery.
5. How long did you remain in that company and regiment?
More than three years.
6. For how long a period did you discharge regular military duty?
7. When, where and under what circumstances were you discharged from service?
By close of war.
8. What is your present occupation?
9. How much can you earn per annum by your own exertions of labor?
10. What has been your occupation since 1865?
11. Upon which of the following grounds do you base your application for pension viz.: first, "age and poverty," second "infirmity and poverty" or third "blindness and poverty"? 1st.
12. If upon the first ground, state how long you have been in such a condition that you could not earn your support? If upon the second, give a full and complete history of the infirmity and its extent? If upon the third state whether you are totally blind and when and where you lost your sight?
About 4 years.
13. What property, effects or income do you possess?
14. What property, effects or income did you possess in 1894, 1895, 1896 and in 1897 and what disposition, if any, did you make of same?
15. In what County did you reside during those years and what property did you then return for taxation?
Macon county returned no property.
16. How were you supported during the years 1896 & 1897?
By what little I could do & the help of my Sons.
17. How much did your support cost for each of those years, and what portion did you contribute thereto by your own labor or income?
About $50.00 and I contributed very little.
18. What was your employment during 1896 & 1897? What pay did you receive in each year?
19. Have you a family? If so, who composes such family? Have they a homestead?
My wife and no minor children. Wife badly afflicted physically & mentally. They have no homestead.
22. Are you receiving any pension, if so, what amount and for what disability?
Sworn to and subscribed before me this the}
8th day of Dec 1898. } Joseph English
J S Elmore Ordinary Applicant
Of Macon County