, p. 203. From his marriage until the outbreak of the Revolution he was farmer in Amwell Township, Hunterdon county, New Jersey.
On the organization of the militia of Hunterdon County for the defense of the rights of the Colonies, George Ely at once took an active role in the organization and equipment and was commissioned a Captain of the Second Regiment and served throughout the war. He was promoted to Lieutenant -Colonel of the 3rd Regiment 21 June 1781, and soon after to Colonel of the same Regiment.
Soon after the close of the Revolution he moved to Northumberland County, PA, and took up large tracts of land near Shamokin where he died in 1820.
In his later life he was propietor of a tavern, a favorite occupation of old soldiers incapacitated by the war, and in that day only men of the highest standing were entrusted with a licsense.
The will of Colonel George is dated June 5, 1820, and was probated on July 31 of the same year. His wife Susanna survived him over a year, dying on November 30, 1821. page 203 20
“The village of Elysburg is located in the suthern half of Ralpho Twp., it was originally called Petersburgbut when a postoffice was establiished , a change became necessary and it was named Elysburg after Colonel George Ely who was a prominent pioneerin Northumberland County. He bought 311 acres in 1796 and as early as 1800 George Ely kept hotel in this vicinity; the first house within the present village was built by Samuel Ely” Normamgene points out that no Elys currently live in Elysburg 1984 63
and the “History of orthumberland County by Herbert C. Bell--1891”