Search billions of records on

Elliotts of New England



Home Names Marriages Contents
Resume Updates Links Contact


Preface  Explanation of IDs Explanation of Fields Immigrant Ancestors
Stories Variations in Spelling of Elliott name References Citing This Source


From the source documents used to build the Elliotts of New England database comes much valuable information that could not be included in the database. Stories about families and individuals are examples.



Capt. John Elliott, of Boston

The writer was [Isaac J. Greenwood] was, for many years, unable to identify the John Elliott in question, until a descendant, the Rev. John E. Elliott, of Newington, Conn., informed him that in the summer of 1882, searching through a mass of old papers in the garret of a house, formerly occupied by his uncle Clark Elliott, he had found three documents of considerable interest, relative to his ancestor, viz.:

1.      A Letter of Marque, given by Col. Richard Phillips, governor of Nova Scotia, to John Elliot, in 1722, commissioning him to command a naval force for the protection of the fisheries of Canso, and the extermination of pirates.

2.      A petition from said Elliot, about June, 1728, to King George II., asking for a certain office, and referring to his services for the King, viz.: a great naval battle and signal victory in 1722; a serious wound, etc.

3.      A commission from the King, appointing John Elliot, who appears to have been originally from Topsham, co. Devon, in England, to the office of collector of customs at Newbury (now Newburyport), New England.

Referring to Hutchinson’s History of Massachusetts, Vol. II, 266-7, we find that in the latter part of July, 1722, the Eastern Indians, instigated by the French,

“Surprised Canso, and other harbors near to it, and took sixteen or seventeen sail of fishing vessels, all belonging to Massachusetts. Governor Phillips happened to be at Canso, and caused two sloops to be manned, partly with volunteer sailors from merchants’ vessels which were loading with fish, and sent them, under the command of Capt. John Eliot, of Boston, and John Robinson, of Cape Ann, in quest of the enemy. Eliot, as he was ranging the coast, espied seven vessels in a harbor called Winnepaug, and concealed all his men, except four or five, until he came near to one of the vessels, which had about forty Indians aboard, who were in expectation of another prize falling into their hands. As soon as he was within hearing, they hoisted their pendants and called out, Strike, English dogs, and come aboard, for you are all prisoners. Eliot answered that he would make all the haste he could. Finding he made no attempt to escape, they began to fear a tartar, and cut their cable with intent to run ashore; but he was too quick for them, and immediately clapped them aboard. For about half an hour they made a brave resistance, but, at length, some of them jumping into the hold, Eliot threw his hand gernadoes after them, which made such havoc, that all which remained alive took to the water, where they were a fair mark for the English shot. From this, or a like action, probably took rise a common expression among English soldiers and sometimes English hunters, who, when they have killed an Indian, make their boast of having killed a black duck. Five only reached the shore.

Eliot received three bad wounds, and several of the men were wounded and one killed. Seven vessels, with several hundred quintals of fish, and fifteen of the captives were recovered from the enemy. They had sent many of the prisoners away, and nine they had killed in cold blood. The Nova Scotia Indians had the character of being more savage and cruel than the other nations.”

      A similar account of the affair, drawn from New-England letters, dated Aug. 20th, appeared in Boyer’s Political State of Great Britain, for Nov. 1722. Alluding to “the great depredations committed by the Indians, who had surprised and taken several Vessels in the Harbors, and no less than 12 off Aspoggin, 40 leagues to the westward” (meaning the remarkable cliff of Aspotgoen, on the promontory that separates Mahone from Margaret’s Bay), this account informs us, that Capt. Elliot “arrived at Canso the last day of July, with his Colours flying, an Indian Blanket in form of a bloody Flag, at the Top-Mast Head, with the Head of their Chiefest King and Councillor on his Ensign Staff, and another on his Jack Staff, and two Scalps of those who commanded under them. The reason of their bringing away no more Scalps was because the Indians threw their men overboard as soon as killed.”

      Elliott’s consort, Capt. Robinson, who had become separated in a fog, was likewise successful in killing some of the enemy and in retaking two vessels; five of them however, lying in the harbor of Merliguash (or Lunenburg), he was, owing to the superior number of the Indians, unable to recover.

New England Historical and Genealogical Register; Capt. John Elliott, of Boston, Mass., 1722, Oct 1891




Lydia Eliot, the Kleptomaniac

English and American newspapers have recently contained many articles in regard to a notorious case of kleptomania, so-called, which is defined a morbid impulse or desire to steal. An early instance of this idiosyncrasy in New England is minutely mentioned in the records of the Roxbury (Mass.) Church, as follows: -

Anno 16556.

        26d, 6m. Lydia Eliot being convict of theft & lying & pride, all wch became famous & notorious she was cast out of ye Church. Her theift was ye taking away of lace from one shop in Boston, & neer ye space of a year after, stealing away a Tiffany Hood out of another ship, and being charged wth these things by ye Owners, she denyed ym agn & againe, but afterwd was found out & made restitution. (She stole also a skaine of yarn of halfe a pound, wch was found out after her excommunication.)

2d. 9m 1656. Lydia Eliot upon her humiliation & repentance was received againe & ye Church confirmed their love to her.”

        P. 252 Roxbury Church Records.

        The Roxbury Church members would have been aghast at the long, high-sounding name, kleptomania, but they knew what it was to be a their, and acted accordingly. Although their treatment of the case was different from that now thought appropriate, it was successful.

        Who was this Lydia Eliot? John Eliot, “the Apostle,” had a sister and a niece of this name.

        His sister Lydia was baptized at Nazeing, Essex, Eng., as Lidia Eleot, July 1st, 1610. She became the wife of James Penniman of Boston, Mass., before 1633m wgi due dub 1664. In 1665 she was married to Thomas Wight of Dedham (his second wife). Her will was proved in 1676. She could not have been the kleptomaniac, as at the time of the accusation and the discipline she was Lydia (Eliot) Penniman.

        The neice, Lydia Eliot, was the daughter of Deacon Philip Eliot (deacon in his brother’s church at Roxbury). Her baptixm appears in the Nazeing Church Records, thus: -“1631. Lede Eliot, daughter of Philip Eliot, 12 June.” Under the date, “4m. 20d 1652,” it appears in the Roxbury Church Records that “Lydia Eliot, daughter to Deacon Eliot confirmed. Since dismissed to ye Church at Taunton, Anno 1666.” She is mentioned in the will of her fathere, Philip, made “21 8. 1657,” to who he give £60. The record of Lydia, the niece, hardly warrants the conclusion that she was the guilty one, though this may have been. Insanity may have been in the family. Her cousin Benjamin, son of the Apostle, Judge Sewall found “much touched as to his understanding for which assertion he give illustrations.

        But there may have been more than two Lydia Eliots, or a servant may have assumed this surname; not an uncommon practice in some of the early settlements of this country.

New England Historical and Genealogical Register; Notes and Queries, January 1897




Honorable Thomas O. Elliott

Hon. Thomas O. Elliott, born in Thompson, Conn., July 26, 1842, when about ten years old moved with his parents to Pomfret, where he has since made his home. Beginning school at Thompson, continuing at Pomfret, and finishing, at the age of sixteen, in a select school at Abington taught by college students, he acquired a thorough fundamental education, after which he assisted his father for three years on the farm. Then the guns were fired upon Fort Sumter, and Sept. 12, 1861, he enlisted in Windham county. Co. K, 7th C. V. I., for three years service in the Civil war. His company was commanded by Capt. Jerome Tourtellotte, of Putnam; and his regiment was in charge of Col. Alfred Terry, and Lieut. Col. Joseph R. Hawley, who succeeded Col. Terry, Jan. 20, 1862, and who is now United States Senator from Connecticut. This regiment went South in the Port Royal expedition, and, being one of the few armed with the effective Spencer breech-loading rifles, was especially singled out through the war for hard fights. After the capture of the forts near Port Royal, S. C., it was sent ashore and assigned to garrison duty. Later it fought in the seven months’ siege of Fort Pulaski upon the surrender of which it again did garrison duty. In 1863, after fighting at James Island and Pocotaligo, it went in Brannan’s expedition to Fernandina, Fa., where it was stationed until April. Then it returned North, and from Morris Island, courageously did its best-through unsuccessfully-to help force Charleston into a surrender, four companies, including Co. K, leading the charge on Fort Wagner. Out of the 180 men in these four companies, 111 were killed. Its next battlefield was Florida again. There, in February, 1864, it fought nobly in the disastrous battle of Olustee, where the Union forces lost thirty-eight per cent of their men. In the following April it was sent to Virginia, and there, in Terry’s division, Tenth Corps of the Army of the James, fought in the battles of Drury’s Bluff, Deep Run, and Derbytown road, in skirmishes near Bermuda Hundred, and Deep Bottom, and finally in the battles at Cold Harbor, and the siege of Petersburg. With the exception of five months spent in the hospital at Hilton Head, Mr. Elliott remained with his regiment throughout its service. His absence was the result of a broken leg, received by a shot in the ankle, July 11, 1863, during the heavy charge on Fort Wagner, near Charleston. After returning to his regiment, however, being unable to march, he was detailed exclusively to driving the ambulance wagon. During the siege of Petersburg his term of enlistment expired, and he, with his regiment was muster out at New Haven. About a year later, Dec. 7, 1865, he married Mary L. Averill, of Pomfret, who was born Nov. 17, 1842, daughter of Lewis and Hannah (Burton) Averill.

      The social status of Mr. Elliott and his family is very high in Pomfret. He is a member of A. G. Warner Post, No. 54, G. A. R., at Putnam; and as a charter member of the Wolf Den Grange, No. 61, of Pomfret, he has served as master. Of this lodge his wife is also a member. In local politics he has been exceedingly active. Besides holding many minor town offices he has represented Pomfret in the State Legislature four times, in 1881 and 1882, in succession, again in 1891, the year of the obstinate deadlock, and finally in 1893, serving with marked efficiency. In 1901 he was elected on the Independent ticket as a representative to the constitutional convention for 1902. The honors bestowed upon him have been the merited result of a forceful character, broad culture and marked integrity.

History of Windham County, Connecticut, with Illustrations, Commemorative Biographical Record by Richard M. Bayles, 1889, page 30




George Thomas Elliott

Joined with his father in one of the largest florist business in New England under the style of William H. Elliott and Sons, Inc., of Boston, Massachusetts, George Thomas Elliott has been prominently identified in the flower circles of the community, and enjoyes the admiration and respect of all with whom he associates for the substantial and distinguished success which he has attained in his chosen field. With markets extending throughout the large cities of Massachusetts and with greenhouses and nurseries in New Hampshire as well as Massachusetts, the William H. Elliott and Sons, Inc., is known in all parts of the United States and supply their flowers with increasing and expanding interest in the trade. The specialty of the concern is the culture of roses and it is probably the largest individual rose grower in this section. Along with his extensive business affairs, Mr. Elliott has been active in civic movements, and has always ardently supported the programs and measures for the general welfare of Concord.

      George Thomas Elliott was born December 31, 1885, in Brighton, Massachusetts, a son of William H. and Lucy F. Elliott. He attended the local grammar and high schools, and having been reared to and closely associated with the flower business throughout his boyhood and youth, it was natural that he should choose that enterprise for his career. That it was a happy choice, and one in which his ability and talents could be fully exercised to greatest extent has been demonstrated distinctly by the position which he enjoys in the florist trade and among his colleagues. With his father, he began the florist business in Brighton, Massachusetts, and the business was incorporated under the style of William H. Elliott and Sons, Inc., rose growers. Offices have been established in the Gardner Building in Boston and also at the Florist Exchange in Boston. Their greenhouses, numbering three in New Hampshire are considered the largest in that State, and their twenty-seven greenhouses in Brighton constitute the largest aggregate footage in the United States. A million feet of glass are needed to cover the houses. At the present time the volume of business has so increased that thirty thousand roses are cut each day and prepared for the market. In 1926, Mr. Elliott purchased a number of large greenhouses in Concord, Massachusetts, at Nine Acre Corners, which he is developing in conjunction with his other business affairs by specializing in the growing of tomatoes and cucumbers, and turning the tract into a large market garden and truck farm. Another distinction which belongs to the company is that they are recognized as the largest growers of spearmint in New England. Mr. Elliott in addition to his active business management is a member of the board of directors of the concern.

      At the outbreak of the World War, Mr. Elliott enlisted in United States Army, September 5, 1917, and saw service in France with the American Expeditionary Forces for two years and two months. He sailed with his outfit for France, September 18, 1917, and remained at the front on the battlefields for the duration of the war. When he was mustered out of service with an honorable discharge he had attained the rank of sergeant, first-class, attached to the Motor Transportation Corps. He is an active and influential member of the Boston Florist Club. In politics he is a Democrat. His religious affiliation is with the Congregational Church of Concord.

      In 1911, in Chicago, Illinois, George Thomas Elliott married Alma Brockhardt, and they reside in Concord. Mr. And Mrs. Elliott are the parents of the following children: George Thomas, Jr., Raymond A., and Frederick W.

Middlesex County and Its People, A History, Volume IV by Edwin P. Conklin, 1927




Commodore Jesse D. Elliott

Born, Hagerstown, Md., July 14, 1782; appointed a midshipman, Apr. 2, 1804, by President Jefferson; promoted to a lieutenancy, April 10, 1810. In 1812, he was attached to the command of Commodore Isaac Chauncey at Sackett’s Harbor. On the declaration of war against Great Britain he was sent to the upper lakes to purchase naval vessels and make preparations for the creation of a naval force on those waters. In October, 1812, while at Black Rock, he commanded a boat expedition which, in the night, boarded and captured two British brigs lying under the guns of Fort Erie. For this he received the thanks of Congress, $12,000. for himself and his men, and a sword which was presented to him by the President of the United States. In July, 1813, he was promoted and in command of the Niagara. At Perry’s victory, September, 1813, he was second in command and received for his gallantry a gold medal from Congress. In October, 1813, he succeeded Commodore Perry in command on Lake Erie. In 1815, was in command of the Ontario on the Mediterranean Squadron. March 17, 1818, he was promoted to the rank of Captain, and till 1842, was engaged in locating light-houses, dockyards, and fortiforcations on the coast. As a commodore he commanded the West India squadron, the Charlestown navy yard, the Mediterranean squadron and the navy yard of Philadelphia. His home was for many years in Carlisle, Penna. He died in Philadelphia, Dec. 18, 1845.

American Revolutionary Soldiers of Franklin County Pennsylvania, Virginia Shannon Fendrick, 1944, p71




Elliot-Buckland Murder Trial

The Elliott-Buckland murder trial, in September, 1834, excited the interest not only of the town, but the whole country round. Moses Elliot, the accused, was a lad of twelve, and Josiah Buckland, his victim, was but a year older. These boys had made up their minds to run away, and on a Saturday in April, 1834, had repaired to a hop-pole house on the Rice farm, on the Wilbraham road, to divide their clothing and to make some preparations for their journey. The upshot was that in the middle of the day Elliot fled home, and was subsequently seen going in the direction of the hop-house with a spade, presumedly to bury the dead. No boy so young had ever been tried for murder in the Commonwealth, and the greatest excitement prevailed when Chief-Justice Shaw and Judges Wilde and Putnam opened the extra session in the autumn of that year. Attorney-General Austin and District Attorney Dewey presented the case for the State, and Judge Morris was assisted by the brilliant and eloquent George Ashmun. People neglected their business in order to hear the evidence. The Elliot boy’s name for mischief-making confirmed the popular belief in his guilt, and Judge Morris was set to confront a desperately strong tide of circumstances. His plea was over two hours long. The old court-house (Odd Fellows’ building) was packed to the doors; crowds hung about the building, and country teams were standing in all the approaches to the Springfield hall of justice. Hundreds had driven into the village many miles to hear Morris’s defence. The lawyer had first to sweep aside prejudice and a popular feeling of guilt, and then to offer explanations of the stern facts of blood, death, and of the secretive acts of Elliot. Morris had a rotund, sweeping, and impetuous style of oratory. His powerful arms would sweep through the air, and he would pose, or stamp his foot, or stride to and fro before the twelve jurymen, as was the wont of the profession half a century ago. The court-room had been gradually drawn to the prisoner’s side, and under the skilful handling of Morris the jury, too, were affected; and when the lawyer sat down women were in tears, and the whole body of listeners deeply moved. The jury acquitted Elliot after an absence of two hours, and a memorable scene of relief and congratulation followed.

Springfield, Massachusetts, 1636-1886




Honorable James Elliot

Hon. James Elliot was the first elected of the three members of Congress who were citizens of Brattleboro at the time of their election.

      His name, with that of Judge Chapin and others, is recorded as one of the corporators of the first joint stock company that originated in this place. This company built the first bridge connecting the East village with New Hampshire in 1804, when it is evident Mr. Elliot was a resident of Brattleboro. He was but about 26 years of age at this time, and this, with other circumstances or events, with which he was connected, compels us to believe he was the most conspicuous in early life, and attended to the serious duties of manhood while other young men of his age were “sowing their wild oats.”

      His intimate acquaintance with Gen. William H. Harrison, and high appreciation of his character, caused Mr. Elliot to say, “I wish Gen. Harrison could occupy the highest office in this nation; if every man in this country knew the General as I know him, he would go to the presidential chair with an overwhelming vote.” These remarks were made several years before Harrison was before the public, or thought of, as a candidate for president. To our surprise, not four months had elapsed, after the death of Mr. Elliot, when Harrison received the nomination, and following soon came the “overwhelming vote,” which swept the venerable sage of North Bend from this quiet home to earthly greatness.

      In politics, Mr. Elliot was a Jeffersonian democrat and, to some extent, a party man: but he estimated character and ability far above party lines.

      After remaining in this town over 25 years, he moved to Newfane. In a Brattleboro paper appeared the following obituary:

      “Died at Newfane, Vt., Nov. 10, 1839, Hon. James Elliot, aged 64. He was a native of Gloucester, Mass. He came to reside in Guilford in early life, and enlisted under Gen. Wayne at 18 years of age, and served in the Indian wars three years, quartered most of the time in the west part of Ohio, then a wilderness. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in Windham county, Vt. In the war of 1812 he held a captain’s commission. Before he was 30 years of age, he was elected one of the representatives to Congress from this State, and ably discharged that trust for three successive elections.

      “His after life was variegated with different scenes and services. Besides his attention to the practice of law, he served several years as register of probate and clerk of the courts, and the past two years had the office of state’s attorney for the county of Windham.

      “He sustained through life the character of an honest man, with talents and intellectual acquirements of the first order.”

      His remains were brought here and deposited in Prospect Hill cemetery, where, since 1797, we have placed other of our honored dust and choicest treasurers. His widow-a daughter of Gen. Dow-survived him 30 years, and died in New York city.

Vermont Gazeteer OR Vermont Historical Magazine, Brattleboro, p78




George Elliot

George Elliot was a large sufferer by fire. In 1823, his store, with all its contents, was burned. It was rebuilt, and the second story occupied as a dwelling. This shared the same fate about two years after. Nothing was saved. His wife, with an infant child in her arms, followed by the nurse, barely escaped over the burning stairs. Absent at the time, Mr. Elliot returned only to find his property in ashes, and his little family without shelter, food, or clothing, except as furnished by neighbors. Yet his heart failed not. He was liberally aided by his fellow citizens, and the present building was erected on the old site, and he was soon again in successful business. He afterwards lost two or three other buildings by fire, on none of which was there any insurance.

History of the Town of Mason, N. H. from The First Grant in 1749, to the Year 1858, John B. Hill, 1858, page 277




David Elliot in the Revolutionary War

David Elliot has been described to us as a man of marked character, and worthy of some words of notice in the annals of the town of his adoption. [Mason] In the spring of 1775, soon after the commencement of hostilities at Lexington and Concord, Capt. Towne was engaged in raising a company of volunteers in New Ipswich, to join the confused army of avengers, then rolling in from every quarter towards Boston. Among the few who came from neighboring towns to join this patriotic band, were the brothers David and John Elliot, from Mason. The company was soon formed (65 in number), marched to Cambridge, and was attached to Col. Reid’s regiment, and there assigned the post of honor, the right wing. At the battle of Bunker Hill, they were early on the ground and in the hottest of the fight, though each man had but a gill of powder and fifteen balls dealt out to him in the morning. David Elliot, like most of his company, had only his fowling-piece of arms, which, after a few rapid discharges, became hot and dangerous. Just then he discovered a good musket on the ground, the owner having been killed or carried away. He seized the prize, expended the remainder of his ammunition with it, brought it off the field, and kept it to the day of his death. Capt. Towne’s company remained in service till the evacuation of Boston by the British, in the spring following, and was then discharged. Among the strong-headed men of Dublin in the olden time, Mr. Elliot held a very respectable rank, and exercised an increasing influence. He was much consulted in private matters, employed in the public affairs of the town, and held a commission in the militia. He was a member of the Baptist church.

History of Dublin, New Hampshire, p329




Elliott-Colby Fight

When others who chose had entered the lists, and tried their strength, then Colby would step forward and defy them all. Being all well stimulated and warmed up with rum, that was free as water at such times, it was not uncommon to end the wrestling sport with a serious fight. Colby at such times was insolent and provoking. No one liked to engage him alone, and yet they could not well brook his insults. At the raising of Major Livermore’s house, 1785, Colby got into a quarrel with the Elliots, from the Borough-Joseph and his two sons, Barnard and John. The two latter attacked him together. John sprung upon him like a cat, clasping him round the waist, while Barnard seized him behind. In the wrestle they all fell together, when John Elliot bit Colby’s nose half off. Pained and infuriated by the bite on his nose, Colby rose, shook John off and dashed him on the ground; then, seizing Barnard by his neck and bottom of his pants, tossed him head first into West’s brook; and turning, kicked the old man off the ground. This fight is well remembered by Benjamin Gale and Richard Herbert, and was related as above by the late Isaac Shute.

History of Concord, New Hampshire, Bouton, 1856, p570 


Lydia (Goodwin) Elliot

In several respects Mrs. Lydia Elliot, or, as now commonly called, “Aunt Lydia,” whose life-like likeness is here exhibited, is the most remarkable person that ever lived in Concord. She entered on her 103d year in January1855. She is at this time in good health, in the enjoyment of her mental faculties and bodily senses in a remarkable degree, - her hearing only being somewhat impaired. She relates of herself, “that she never had a physician in her life, except at times of confinement with her children; never took physic, or an emeric, or had a tooth drawn, or was bled.” She has always been industrious, and even laborious; spinning and weaving at home, or in families where she was wanted. In her younger life she used to go to Mr. Nathaniel Rolfe’s, about a mile and a half from her home, to assist in pulling flax. Sometimes she carried an infant, and then she would lay the babe, wrapped in a blanket, under the shade of a tree, and work all day-nursing her child as it needed. Many a time has she walked from the Borough to the old North Meeting-house, on the Sabbath, to worship, carrying a babe in her arms. In the last fifty years of her life she has dressed herself every day. During the last seven or ten years she has spent a considerable portion of her time in knitting, at which she is very expert. She has a good appetite, is most of the time cheerful and uncomplaining; walks erect, and converses with ease and good sense. On the hundredth anniversary of her birth, January 30, 1853, a religious service was held at the house of her son, Mr. David Elliot, with whom the old lady resides, of which the following account subsequently appeared in the New-Hampshire Statesman.


We gladly availed ourself of the opportunity to be present, on Monday last, at the religious services held in the dwelling of Mr. David Elliot, in the north-west part of Concord. The circumstance which suggested them was, that on the preceding day his mother, Mrs. Lydia Elliot, attained the age of one hundred years. The occasion attracted to the dwelling a number of people so large as nearly to fill the lower rooms; and, as may easily be imagined, it was one of very deep interest, not only to the descendants of Mrs. Elliot, but all others who had the privilege of being present. People of all ages were there-quite a number of whom had reached the allotted period of human life, and several who numbered more than eighty years.

      Prior to the commencement of religious services, several people who went up from this part of the town, were introduced to Mrs. Elliot by her grandson, with each of whom she held brief conversations. These were Mr. Richard Herbert, Mr. Abiel Walker, Francis N. Fisk, Esq., Mr. James C. Dame, (the venerable father of Mr. George Dame, of the Pavilion,) Mr. And Mrs. Bouton, Mrs. Dr. Carter, and the editor of this paper. Others, also, before and at the close of the exercises, availed themselves of the opportunity to say a few words to the venerable lady, upon whom all eyes were turned. On the morning of that day she rose in season to breakfast with the family, dressed herself without assistance, and made the bed in which she slept. She is a person of medium female height; her eye yet gives evidence that in youth she was one whose countenance was lighted by the vivacity of that organ; and, although quite deaf, she yet possesses her bodily and mental faculties in a remarkable degree. She was dressed in a very neat and becoming manner, and during the religious exercises sat immediately near the table by which stood her pastor, Rev. Mr. Tenney. She was seated in a rocking-chair, which she kept in constant motion, and intently eyed the clergyman during the exercises. Immediately back of her chair were several aged people, and in tiers in the rear of them, those of various ages down to children and youth. From this room, the doors opened into other apartments, so that all might hear.

      Rev. Mr. Tenney commenced by reading the first four verses of the 71st Psalm, by Watts, 3d Part, as follows: [Not repeated.]

      Succeeding the reading of the above stanzas was a discourse by Rev. Mr. Tenney, founded on the 71st Psalm, 18th verse: “Now also, when I am old and grey-headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to dome.” From this appropriate discourse, the train of remark in which may be readily conjectured, and which was listened to with the utmost attention by all, and by none more than the venerable person for whom it was particularly written, we gather the following facts:

      Lydia Goodwin (now Mrs. Joseph Elliot) was born in territory once called Salisbury Newtown, (now Newton, in this State,) January 30, 1753. She married Mr. Elliot in 1773, and they removed to Concord in February, 1778. She was of a family of nine children; two sons and seven daughters. One of her brothers was a soldier in the French War, and died at twenty-two years of age, and a sister died when only four years old. Of the others, Samuel died in Northfield, when more than 97 years of age; Molly died in Concord, aged 97; Sally in Candia, aged 99 years and eight months; Elizabeth lived to be 77; Hannah died at 50, and Judith is now living in Loudon, aged 96. Of the six daughter who were married, all survived their husbands, and no one married a second time. The husband of Mrs. Lydia Elliot, the subject of this notice, died about forty years ago.

      She had eleven children, all of whom reached mature years, and ten were married. Four only are now living. Her grand-children number seventy; her great-grand-children one hundred, and of the fifth generation there are known to be at least eight. Her son, Mr. David Elliot, at whose dwelling these services took place, is seventy-five years of age, although his appearance indicates a person of but little over sixty. It is a long-lived family, as preceding facts make very certain.

      Rev. Mr. Tenney, at the conclusion of his discourse, invited Rev. Dr. Bouton to make such remarks as would be suggested by the occasion; who proceeded accordingly to address the congregation for a few minutes, in the course of which he stated, that of the aged people who died in Concord since his settlement, it was usually the case that such as lived longest possessed to the last their mental, and usually their bodily faculties, in remarkable perfection. Of such, he named Capt. Joseph Farnum, aged 97; Mrs. Hazeltine, aged 100 years and six months; Mr. John Shute, aged 98; Mrs. Robert Ambrose, aged 98; Mr. Jeremiah Bridge, aged 93; and Polly Odlin, aged 95.

      The services occupied about one hour and a quarter, at the close of which many took leave of Mrs. Elliot by a formal farewell, and the company soon dispersed, highly gratified with the opportunity of being present and looking upon the second person in Concord who reached one hundred years of age.”

      To the above notice it may be added, that after the meeting a pair of neatly wrought stockings were shown to the company, which were knit by Mrs. Elliot the past summer, and which were ornamented with figures called clocks. When she was ninety-one years of age she knit a pigeon net of fifty-two yards, and “lashed” the net-completing the whole in seven days.

Source: History of Concord, New Hampshire, Bouton, 1856, page 651