INCORPORATION AND BOUNDARIES. The town of Standish as incorporated Nov. 30, 1785, and named in honor of Miles Standish. It is indented in the north by Sebago Lake; bounded on the east by Windham and Gorham; on the south by Buxton, in York County; on the west by the Saco River; and on the north by Baldwin and Sebago. The land is low and sandy in the northern part, rocky and more elevated towards the south and east, with a mixture of clay towards the Saco River; the north is timbered plains and, and uninhabited. The Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad runs through the town and the Cumberland and Oxford Canal formerly connected with Sebago Lake at the eastern point. The Portland Water-Works Company take their water for the city from the lake, at the South Bay. The first election was held at the meeting-house, March 27, 1786. John Deane, Esq., was chosen moderator; besides the principal officers, there were elected surveyors of highways, tithing-men, fence-viewers, field-drivers, pound-keeper, an informer of deer, a sealer of leather, cullers of hoops and staves, sealer of weights and measures, wardens, a committee for examining accounts, a minister to preach three months, and an approximation of ?25 voted for his salary. Ebenezer Shaw, the original settler of Standish, came from Hampton, N.H., in response to an offer, made him by Moses Pearson, of 200 acres of land and a saw-mill, if he would build the mill, and move to the place with his family Mr. Shaw came in 1763, and built the mill in nine days' time. A fort, sixty feet square, had previously been erected of heavy, hewn timbers by the proprietors, in the present crossing of the roads, at Standish Corner, and lots laid out. Mr. Shaw was followed, the same year, by Daniel Cram, Daniel Sanborn, John Sanborn, Jonathan Sanborn, Michael Philbrick, Jonathan Philbrick, John Pierce, Moses Lowel, Caleb Rowe, Worthy Moulton, Jonathan Bean, and Jabez Dow, from New Hampshire, most of them having families. Judith, daughter of Jonathan Philbrick, born Aug. 27, 1763, as the first white child born in Standish. Samuel Warren settled at Bonny Eagle in 1768. The first baptism recorded was that of Mary Freeman, in 1769. Daniel Harmon, John Hall, James Moody, Moses Richardson, and Dominicus Mitchell came previous to 1776. Joseph Paine came from Cape Cod, Mass., in 1780. James Moody opened a blacksmith-shop near Standish Corner, in 1775; Josiah Shaw kept a tavern. In 1793, Aaron Parker purchased 200 acres of land on "the Neck," where his grandson Charles Parker now lives, for 150, and occupied it with his family. In 1782, Thomas Shaw built a windmill to grind corn. This was the first corn-mill in the town, and, with good wind, would grind fifty bushels of corn a day. In 1788 it was turned into an ashery, as the result of public enterprise at town-meeting. At this time there were forty voters in the town. Ashes were collected in a sail-boat, which traversed Sebago Lake, and brought sixpence a bushel. Eliakim Wescott settled on the Neck, near Wescott Falls, in 1795. Sergeant Shaw and Annie Tompson, the first couple joined in marriage, were united by John Deane, Esq., Sept. 14, 1786. The first few years the settlement was surrounded with hardships and dangers. When threatened by Indians, the little colony sought refuge in the fort. Becoming nearly starved on one occasion, two of the bravest ventured forth into the deep woods and shot a moose. Cutting off a quarter, they hastened into the fort, and returned with help for the remainder, only to find that the Indians had taken their game. John McGill, a hunter, lived in the fort for some years, until it was torn down to make room for the first church, which was erected in its place in 1769, and which was in turn torn down, after repeated efforts to have it removed. One dark night in 1805, Edward Tompson, Esq., magistrate, who kept a tavern joining the corner, was aroused by the crash of tearing shingles and clapboards. Taking his perforated tin lantern in one hand, and "the riot act" in the other, he sallied forth and commenced to read; before he had proceeded far, the destroyers threw shingles and put out his light; by this time, Dr. Howe, who kept the tavern where I. D. Sawyer's coat-factory stands, hand come to his assistance, but in vain. The morning sun rose only upon ruins, which were afterwards built into a school-house, and the street was clear. PLACES OF HISTORIC INTEREST The old home of Elliot Hammond, built by him in 1778, is the oldest building in the town. It stands overlooking the lake across the lower bay, a short distance to the east of the ground where, upon a grassy knoll, sleep the remains of Josiah Moses and the Waterhouse and Harmon families. The large weather-beaten house standing with its eaves to the road, and overlooking the lake from the bluff opposite Indian Isle, was built by Wm. Cummings in 1785, John Cummings, grandfather of Hiram T. Cummings, settling near by. The great willow in front has grown from a twig planted eight years after, and before breaking down spread over a diameter of 100 feet. Much of the timbered lands surrounding it were the cultivated fields of the pioneers. John Smith bought the old Cummings house of Dr. Howe, in 1825. Indian Isle, a wooded knoll of 100 acres, was a rendevous of Indians, and it is here, tradition says, white prisoners were secreted in the early wars. Stone implements are still sometimes found upon the island. A boat capsizing years ago near this island, with five men, who were never found afterwards, attaches a weird interest to the place. It is said this lake never gives up its dead. On the road leading from Standish Corner to the lake is the home of the poet Shaw, built in 1774, where the first settlement was made by Ebenezer Shaw. The ballads of Thomas Shaw, the son, were well-known along the coast of Maine for many years, and date back to the Revolutionary war. Conspicuous among his productions was the "Shipwreck of the Schooner Charles," on Richmond's Island, July 12, 1807. The ballad was headed by sixteen black coffins, to represent the number of victims, and surrounded with a heavy border. Thomas Shaw, his son, occupies the old homestead, which contains many relics of early days. The old church at Standish Corner is pointed out to the stranger as a monument to the religious energy of sires and grandsires, who rest in the cemetary across the street and in various parts of the town. BURYING-GROUNDS In 1772, Moses Pearson deeded to the town on-half acre of land at Standish Corner for a burying-ground. This is the oldest cemetery in the town, and contains the remains of Rev. Jonathan Gould, Isaac Snow Tompson, whose epitaph is "First Physician of Standish;" John Deane, Esq., Deacon Jonathan Philbrick, and others equally venerated. There is a find large cemetery at Steep Falls, inclosed with iron and granite and regularly laid out. The Bonny Eagle, containing the Warren, Davis, and Sturgis pioneers, and Peltiah McDonald, "a soldier of the Revolution;" the Harding Ground, on the Neck, where rest Rev. Elias F. Blake and Rev. Joseph White, are the principal burying-grounds in Standish, besides which there are thirty private and family burying-places in various parts of the town. VILLAGES AND HAMLETS Standish Corner, the point of original settlement, was for many years the business centre of Standish and the country to the northwest, which furnished a busy trade for two tanneries, six stores, and three hotels. The opening of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad transferred the business to Sebago Lake Station, which also absorbed that of the old landing where the Portland water-works connect with that lake. The business of the place consists of two coat manufactories, a general merchandise store, ladies' goods, hotel, harness-shop, marble- and blacksmith-shops, law-office, and two physicians. There are three churches, school-house, town farm and buildings, established 1867, and sixty dwellings. This is the oldest post-office in the town. Mails twice daily by stage, from Sebago Lake. Sebago Lake, on the lower bay of the lake, contains a depot, twenty-five dwellings, three stores, hotel, grist-and wood-mill, two clothing manufactories, carriage-shop, and the store-rooms of the Sebago Lake Ice Company of Portland. There was but one store on the opening of the railroad. A steamboat line was opened between Sebago Lake Station, Naples, Bridgton, and Harrison in 1867. Post-office established Jan. 1, 1872; Nathaniel Lane was first postmaster. Bonny Eagle is a post-office hamlet, of which twelve houses, the school-house, and the Methodist Episcopal church extend along the road from Bonny Eagle in Saco River to York's Corner, where there is a store and several shops. Steep Falls is the principal village of Standish; is a station on the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, and contains five stores, a post-office, hotel, church, saw-mill, and wood-working machinery, and is a shipping-point for lumber. There are thirty-eight residences in Standish, and some on the opposite side of the Saco River. The first settlement here was made by Capt. Benjamin Poland, who built a mill a mile below the falls in 1826. James Foss opened the first store in 1829. Tobias Lord erected a grist-mill in 1836. William Pierce established the first hotel here in 1826. The place is finely located on high land and surrounded by beautiful groves. Richville, is a flag station near Rich's mill, in the north part of the town. CIVIL LIST. Selectmen. 1786. Caleb Rowe, Daniel Hasty, John Deane. 1787. Josiah Shaw, Peter Moulton, Enoch Linnel. 1788. Isaac S. Tompson, Josiah Shaw, George Freeman. 1789. Peter Moulton, Josiah Shaw, Thomas Shaw. 1790. John Deane, Daniel Hasty, Job Eastman. 1791. Peter Moulton, Enoch Linnel, George Freeman. 1792. Peter Moulton, Theodore Mussey, George Freeman. 1793. Joseph C. Rackliff, Dominicus Mitchell, James D. Tucker. 1794. Peter Moulton, Daniel Lowell, Dominicus Mitchell. 1795. James D. Tucker, Dominicus Mitchell, Peter Moulton. 1796. James D. Tucker, Dominicus Mitchell, George Freeman. 1797. Dominicus Mitchell, Enoch Linnel, Peter Moulton. 1798. Dominicus Mitchell, James D. Tucker, Enoch Linnel. 1799 1800. James D. Tucker, Edmond Massey, Joseph Dow. 1801. Peter Moulton, John Deane, Josiah Shaw, Daniel Hasty, Levi Cram. 1802. Peter Moulton, Levi Cram, Joseph Dow. 1803. Levi Cram, William Tompson, Jonathan Philbrick. 1804. Peter Moulton, James D. Tucker, John Sanborn. 1805. Levi Cram, William Tompson, Wm. Higgins. 1806. William Tompson, John Lowell, William Higgins. 1807. William Tompson, William Higgins, James Hasty. 1808. Peter Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Sargent Shaw. 1809. Simeon Moulton, Peter Rowe, James D. Tucker. 1810. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Jr., Samuel Dennet. 1811. Simeon Moulton, Moses Rih, John Sanborn. 1812. Simeon Moulton, Moses Rich, William Graffam. 1813. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Jr., Wm. Hasty, Jr. 1814. Simeon Moulton, William Hasty, Jr., Jonathan Dow. 1815-16. Edmund Mussey, Daniel Hasty, Jr., John Spring. 1817-18. Simeon Moulton, Mark White, Timothy Higgins, Jr. 1819. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Knowles Higgins. 1820. Simeon Moulton, Col. John Spring, Mark White. 1821 Mark White, William Tompson, William Hasty, Jr. 1822. William Tompson, Benjamin Haskell, Jr., James Hasty, Jr. 1823. William Tompson, Knowles Higgins, Jonathan Dow. 1824. Isaac S. Spring, Sargent Shaw, Jonathan Dow. 1825. William Tompson, Mark White, John Cummings, Jr. 1826-27. Wm. Tompson, John Cummings, Jr., Enoch F. Higgins. 1828. John Cummings, Jr., William Tompson, Enoch F. Higgins. 1829. William Hasty, Sargent Shaw, Jabez Dow. 1830-32. Benjamin Poland, Benjamin Chadbourne, Jabez Dow. 1833-35. Benjamin Chadbourne, Edmund Mayo, Lemuel Rich. 1836-37. Benjamin Chadbourne, Lemuel Rich, Jabez Dow. 1838. Benjamin Chadbourne, Daniel Davis, Tobias Lord; 1839. Tobias Lord, Daniel Davis, Peter Shaw. 1840. Lemuel Rich, Daniel Davis, Peter Shaw. 1841. Lemuel Rich, Samuel Phinney, Joseph Sanborn. 1842. Samuel Phinney, Joseph Sanborn, Lemuel Rich. 1843. Lemuel Rich, Samuel Phinney, John Knapp. 1844-45. Joseph Sanborn, Ebenezer Moulton, Eliakim Wescott. 1846-47. Joseph Sanborn, Wm. T. Chadbourne, Frederick Lowell. 1848. William T. Chadbourne, Frederick Lowell, Joshua Paine, Jr. 1849. Joseph Sanborn, Joseph S. Tompson, James Foss. 1851. Joseph Sanborn, Joseph S. Tompson, Josiah Moulton. 1852. Joseph S. Tompson, Lemuel Rich (3d), Wilson Dow. 1853. Joseph S. Tompson, Seth Higgins, Eliakim Wescott. 1854. Joseph S. Tompson, Jonathan Moore, Amos Boulter. 1855. Joseph S. Tompson, Henry M. Chadbourne, Joseph Sanborn. 1856. Henry M. Chadbourne, Seth Higgins, Peter Paine. 1857. Joseph Sanborn, Frederick Lowell, Eliakim Wescott. 1858. William Paine, Josiah L. Swett, Samuel L. Davis. 1859-60. Samuel O. Paine, Lemuel Rich (3d), Arza Mayo. 1861. John H. Philbrick, Lemuel Rich (3d), William Wingate. 1862. Lemuel Rich (3d), Elisha B. Mitchell, Harvey Wescott. 1863. Joseph Sanborn, Ebenezer Moulton, Asa Berry. 1864. Joseph S. Tompson, Samuel O. Paine, Amos Boulter. 1865. Ebenezer Moulton, Joseph Sanborn, Asa Berry. 1866. Ebenezer Moulton, William Freeman, Samuel O. Paine. 1867. Samuel O. Paine, James K. Emery, Merritt I. Paine. 1868. Merritt I. Paine, Wm. D. Freeman, Daniel S. Davis. 1869. Wilson Dow, William H. Dresser, Eliakim Wescott. 1870-71. William H. Dresser, Eliakim Wescott, Wilson Dow. 1872. Wilson Dow, Ambrose Cram, William Rich. 1873. Ambrose Cram, Elisha B. Mitchell, Augustus Y. Staples. 1874. Henry M. Chadbourne, Oris R. Phinney, A. S. Hutchinson 1875. John D. Higgins, Samuel Dingley, Augustus S. Hutchinson. 1876. Henry M. Chadbourne, Wm. H. Libby, Orville S. Sanborn. 1877. Henry M. Chadbourne Seth Higgins, Almon H. Cressey. 1878. Orville S. Sanborn, Tobias Lord, Jr., Ichabod Cousins. 1879. Almon H. Cressey, Winthrop B. Dresser, John H. Davis. TOWN CLERKS. Theodore Mussey, 1786-89; Dominicus Mitchell, 1790; Theodore Mussey, 1791-95; James D. Tucker, 1796; Theodore Mussey, 1797-1803; William Tompson, 1804-7; Daniel Hasty, 1808; Daniel Hasty, Jr., 1809-10; Isaac S. Spring, 1811-12; Theodore Mussey, 1813-16; James Hasty, Jr., 1817-29; Oliver Frost, 1830-32; Phineas Ingalls, 1833-43; Horatio J. Swasey, 1844-48; John H. Philbrick, 1849-56; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1857-58; Joseph S. Tompson, 1859-60; James K. Emery, 1861; Joseph S. Tomnpson, 1862; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1863; William B. Cobb, 1864; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1865; William H. Dresser, 1866-67; William Paine, 1868; Joseph S. Tompson, 1869-72; to fill vacancy, John D. Higgins, 1872; John D. Higgins, 1873-74; William H. Libby, 1875; Orin K. Phinney, 1876-77; William H. Libby, 1878; Isaac D. Sawyer, 1879. TREASURERS. Josiah Shaw, 1786; Jonathan Philbrick, 1788; Theodore Mussey, 1789; Dominicus Mitchell, 1790; Theodore Mussey, 1791-1803; William Tompson, 1804; Theodore Mussey, 1805; William Thomson, 1806-7; James Philbrick, 1808; Samuel Dennet, 1809-11; Isaac S. Spring, 1812; Theodore Mussey, 1813-17; James Hasty, Jr., 1818-29; Oliver Frost, 1830-32; Phineas Ingalls, 1833-43; Horatio J. Swasey, 1844-48; John Philbrick, 1849-56; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1857-58; Joseph S. Tompson, 1859-60; James K. Emery, 1861; Joseph S. Tompson, 1862; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1863; William B. Cobb, 1864; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1865; William H. Dresser, 1866-67; William Pain, 1868; Joseph S. Tompson, 1869-72; to fill vacancy, John D. Higgins, 1872; John D. Higgins, 1873-74; William H. Libby, 1875; Orin K. Phinney, 1876-77; William H. Libby, 1878; Isaac D. Sawyer, 1879. CONSTABLES AND COLLECTORS. Sargent Shaw, 1786; Dominicus Mitchell, 1787; Israel Thorn, 1788; Daniel Hasty, 1789; Josiah Shaw, 1790; Daniel Hasty, 1791; Simeon Sanborn, 1792; John Peirce, Peter Moulton, 1793; James Moody, 1794; Daniel Lowell, 1795-96; Edward Mussey, 1797; James Moody, 1798; Joseph Dow, 1799-1800; Edward Tompson, Joseph Dow, cons., James Harty, col., 1801; Edward Tompson, 1802; Robert Rowe, 1803; Joseph Dow, 1804-5; Daniel Hasty, 1806; Silas Lowell, col., Bryan Martin, cons., 1807; Thomas Shaw, 1808; Richard Pierce, 1809-10; Joseph C. Rackliff, 1811; Levi Sanborn, cons., Peter Sanborn, cons., 1812; John Philbrick, 1813; Daniel Freeman, 1814; Caleb P. Philbrick, 1815-16; William Butler, 1817; Caleb P. Philbrick, 1818-21; Joseph Bailey, 1822; Edward Thompson, 1823-26; James Hasty, Jr., cons, and col., Edward Tompson, cons., 1827; Edward Tompson, cons., James Hasty, Jr., col., 1828; Daniel Hasty, 1829-30; Samuel Phinney, 1831-35; Peter Shaw, 1836-38; William Paine, cons., 1838; Lemuel Rich, 1839; Charles Tompson, 1840; Arza Mayo, cons., 1840; Arza Mayo, cons., Charles Thompson, col., 1841; Charles Thompson, 1842-44; Arza Mayo, cons., 1844; Joslyn C. Robinson, 1845-47; Jonathan Moore, 1848-50; Lorenzo H. Moore, 1851; Alvah Weeks, 1852-54; Samuel L. Davis, 1855-57; Ebenezer C. Hamblin, 1858; Lyman Sanborn, 1859; Lyman Sanborn, Robert Ridlin, cons., 1860; Lyman Sanborn, 1861, Alvab Weeks, 1862; Ebenezer Shaw, Jr., Ebenezer C. Hamlin, cons., 1863; Alvah Weeks, William H. Dresser, eons., 1864; Uriah A. Berry, 1865; Ephraim Higgins, 1866; John L. Chase, 1867-69; Merritt I. Paine, 1870; Walter Brugdon, Alfred S. Cousins, cons., 1871 Alfred S. Cousins, 1872-73; Daniel A. Paine, 1874-75; John E. Tompson, 1876; John P. Moulton, 1877; Alfred S. Cousins, 1878; James Moody, 1879. JUSTICES. John Deane, 1786-90; Josiah Thatcher, 1791; John Deane, 1795-1803; Thomas Mussey, 1804; John Deane, 1808; William Tompson, 1809; Theodore Mussey, 1812; William Tompson, 1820; B. Chadbourne, 1834; James Hasty, Jr., 1835; E. Mayo, 1836; Horatio J. Swasey, 1839; James Hasty, 1839-41; Benjamin Chadbourne, 1845; Phineas Ingalls, H. J. Swasey, 1845-48; Charles Tompson, 1845; Phineas Ingalls, H. A. Swasey, 1846; Joseph Sanborn, William C. Lowell, 1847; T. M. Bradbury, 1848; H. J. Swasey, J. H. Philbrick, Caleb Hodsdon, 1849; John Sawyer, 1849; Phineas Ingalls, 1851; H. J. Swasey, George M. Small, Lemuel Rich (3d), 1852; Joseph Sanborn, 1856; Ebenezer Moulton, 1857; H. J. Swasey, 1858. CHURCHES. The "Records of the Church of Christ in Standish" recite that the first religious organization in the town was formed May 11, 1769, under the patronage of the original proprietors of the land, who erected a church on the site of the old fort at Standish Corner in that year, and John Tompson, who was ordained at Portland, Oct. 25, 1768, was settled by them as pastor. The salary was payable in "one-third each, cash, East India goods, and produce." There were seven members, John Tompson, John Pierce, George Freeman, Michael Philbrick, Josiah Shaw, David Sanborn, and Peter Moulton. Mary, wife of Josiah Shaw, Jonathan Philbrick and wife, and Ebenezer Shaw and wife joined the church during that year. Jonathan Philbrick was the first deacon. Rev. Jonathan Gould was ordained Sept. 16, 1793, and became pastor at once, retaining charge until his death in 1795. He was succeeded by Rev. Daniel Marrett, who was ordained for that purpose, and also died at Standish, after a pastorate of thirty-three years. The present "Old Church" was erected in 1805, and dedicated by him in 1806. Thomas Church was one of the main contributors. Rev. Thomas Tenny was ordained in 1820, and was pastor until 1829. In 1834 a dissension occurred, taking away many of the members. After the reorganization of the Evangelical Church, as the new society was named, the Unitarian Church Covenant was drawn up by Rev. Amos D. Wheeler, a young minister just ordained, and was adopted April 14, 1835. He was pastor until 1846, and was succeeded in turn by A. M. Bridge in 1843; E. J. Gerry, 1846; Geo. Osgood, 1854; Jacob Caldwell, 1855; Rev. Mr. Nickerson, 1862. THE EVANGELICAL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH was organized Feb. 5, 1834, by Rev. D. Merritt, with 73 members. The officers were Rev. Thomas Tenny, Pastor and Clerk; Enoch Moody and Joshua Paine, Deacons. Revs. Clark Perry, Silas Baker, Isaac Weston, William Rand, and D. Harris succeeded as pastors. Mr. Harris died at this charge, June 9, 1850, and was succeeded by Rev. James P. Hadley, who made many converts to the church. Rev. Mark Gould became pastor in 1858; Charles Soule, 1862; Calvin Chapman, 1863; Samuel Hopkins, 1866; Stephen H. Robinson, 1873; and John P. Trowbridge, the present pastor, in 1873. A fine building was erected in 1834 by Josiah Davis, Thomas Tenny, Joshua Paine, Committee. Present membership, 37. FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH. Baptist meetings were held as early as 1793. In 1803 there was an effort made to obtain from the town that part of the church tax which came from Baptist citizens, but without success. Meetings were held at the house of John Plaistead, on Standish Neck, until the erection of the church in 1806, through the efforts of Simeon Moulton. Clement Phinney, a young school-teacher, who was converted at this time, became afterwards a prominent minister. Sargeant Shaw was an early minister. In 1816, Miss Almira Wescott was ordained, and became a leading preacher. Rev. Joseph White died here. Rev. Zachariah Leach, 1816; Clement Phinney, 1816-25; John Buzzell, Christopher Bullock, Jeremiah Bullock, Thomas Strout, and Walker Parker have since supplied them. May 4, 1861, the Free-Will Baptist Provisional Church was organized by Rev. James Buzzel, who had been a regularly ordained minister of the Free-Will Baptist Church. Clark Cannel was chosen clerk. Rev. Thomas Strout succeeded to the pastorate in 1869, when George Maybery was chosen clerk, and Melvin Shaw deacon. Meetings are held in a school-house, the old church having been torn down in 1875. Present membership, 28. The Free-Will Baptist Chinch at Steep Falls was organized Feb. 21, 1847, by Rev. Andrew Jacobson. Among the first members were Irva Norton, Peter Graffam and wife, Peltiah Hobson, Statera Hobson, and Lyman Fisher, who was chosen clerk. Their building was erected in 1851 and dedicated by Rev. Mr. Peck, of Portland, July 31st of that year. Pastors: Andrew Hobson, L. Parker, 1859-71; E. C. Cook, 1872-74; A. G. hill, 1874-76; Peltiah Hobson, present pastor. Present membership, 104, of whom 28 are non-residents. Officers: Israel Small, Deacon and Clerk; John Rand, Deacon; S. H. Cousins, Treasurer; Israel Small, Robert Ridlon, Evans Harmon, Committee. METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. The first Methodist class was formed under the preaching of Revs. Alfred Metcalf and Daniel Berry in 1802. Early meetings were held in Capt. Jonathan Moore s house, the room-partitions being removed for that purpose. Thomas Shaw, Jonathan Moore, Ann Warren, and George Thomas, who was class-leader until 1821, were among the first members. Revs. Ebenezer Blake, Philip Ayer, and Joel Wick preceded Joseph Dennet, who came in 1816, and was followed by James Jaynes. Rev. Mr. Aimes, who died in Gorham, John Paine, Jonathan Whiting, Philip and John S. Ayer, Melville B. Cox, and Jolin Shaw also preached on this circuit. Rev. Mr. Shaw died in Gorham while a young man. Through the exertions of Rev. Green G. Moore a church was erected in 1826 at York s Corner. Revs. Nathaniel Morris, Samuel Jewett, Philip Munger, 1832; M. Wright, 1834; James Harrington, Daniel Crockett, David Copeland were pastors to 1838; Nathaniel Pride succeeded in 1839; John Hatch, 1840; Isaac Lord, 1841; Orlando H, Jasper, 1842; George S. Davis, George D. Strout, 1843; O. H. Jasper, 1845; Edward A. Stuffman, 1848; Luther B. Knight, 1856; Benjamin Freeman, 1858; John E Baxter, 1860; S. V. Gerry, 1862; Nathan Andrews, 1863; H. H. Martin, 1864; William C. Stevens, 1867; Ezra Sanborn, 1869; Alva Cook, 1871; Benjamin F. Pease, 1874; W. S. McIntire, 1877; W. F. Berry, 1878: George Hoyt, 1879. Present trustees: Charles F. Brown, A. Boulton, David L. Warren, A. Usher. Recording steward and class-leader, Aaron S. Nason. Membership, 82. A church was organized at Standish Corner in 1849; Jonathan Moore, Joseph Moody, Freeman Paine, John and Daniel Rich, and others, to the number of 29, joining in application for a charter. A building was erected by Jonathan Moore, Joseph Moody, Freeman Paine, and Leonard Chase, trustees, and dedicated by Rev. Joseph Jennie, presiding elder, Dec. 4, 1849. The pastors have been John C. Perry, 1849; Daniel Waterhouse, N. D. Centre, C. C. Mason, Alpha Turner, S. S. Ranks, J. Rice, Marcus Wright. Present steward, Freeman Paine. Trustees, Freeman Paine, William Dollif, Daniel B. Jackson. Membership, 28. THE STANDISH ACADEMY was incorporated by act of Legislature, in 1848, with Rev. Ichabod Nichols, Rufus P. Cutler, John T. G. Nichols, Andrew Hobson, Jonathan Moore, Wm. H. Lowell, Edwin J. Gerry, Geo. H. Nichols, Green Cram, Gardner Dennett, Theodore M. Bradbury, Thomas Cram, Joshua Payne, Jr., James W. Emery, trustees. Rev. Ichabod Nichols was made President; William H. Lowell, Vice-President; T. M. Bradbury, Secretary; and Gardner Dennett, Treasurer. The upper floor of the First Parish church was filled by them, and occupied as academy rooms. In August, 1849, the Legislature of Maine conveyed to the trustees one-half township of land; their committees effected a sale to Wm. T. Chadbourne, for $4350. The principals have been Thomas Talbott, 1848-49; Richard Gardner, Lincoln F. Emerson, 1851; George Sennot, 1852; D. L. Lane, 1853; Lucien Hunt, 1853-54; Henry Dunlap, 1856. The academy declined, for want of sufficient patronage. The last meeting of the directors was held July 14, 1857. ASSOCIATIONS. There is a lodge of F. A. M., Standish Centre. Lodges of I. O. of G. T.: Sebago Lake, No. 96; Steep Falls, No. 77; Bonny Eagle, No. 21. Patrons of Husbandry, Standish, No. 122. Cornet Band, Steep Falls, established 1879, Andrew F. Sanborn, leader. Merchants: Theodore Mussey, Robert Rowe, Standish Corner, 1803; Benj. Chadbourne, Joseph Webster; Old Landing, 1825; Wm. Foss, Wm. Wintgate, Steep Falls, 1826; Cousins & Banks, Wingate & Hobson, Tobias Lord, Jr., Steep Falls, 1878; Nancy W. Trafton, ladies' goods, W. Paine, postmaster, 1878; J. S. Webster, Lemuel Rich & Son, Sebago Lake, 1878; J. P. Warren, Bonny Eagle, 1878. Manufacturers: Archambeau & Decormier, grist-mill, established 1874; G. M. & S. C. Rich, lumber and stones; J. C. Dyer, staves; F. A. Radou, F. Harmon, W. S. Hanscom, carriages; Waterhouse & Plummer, boots and shoes; Irvin & E. T. Libby, smiths; W. H. Bacon & Co., clothing, Sebago Lake; Wingate & Hobson, clothing; Tobias Lord, box-lumber, plaster, and grist- mill; Coolbroth & Tucker, grist- and stave-mill; W. D. & Leroy S. Mayo, coopers; C. N. Shaw, smith, Steep Falls; Isaac D. Sawyer, established 1877; Evans & Libby, clothing; D. B. Jackson, marble; Bryant Paine, D. U. Paine, A. Rand, N. Rand, coopers; S. Higgins, Freeman Paine, smiths. SCHOOLS AND ACADEMIES. The first school was organized in the western district previous to 1787, in which year a proposition was presented for building a school-house. The next year, ?60 were voted to build a school-house. The first school committee were Bryan Martin, Peter Moulton, Joseph Case, and William Cummings. Mrs. Cummings taught school in her house in 1793, giving the children their lessons while working at her loom. In 1821 the town was regularly organized into 10 school districts, and in 1836 increased to 15. The town now comprises 13 school districts. Whole number of school children, 607. For the year ending March, 1879, moneys raised by the town were $2100, of which $50 is assigned to Fry's Island, an island in Sebago Lake, containing 1000 acres, and occupied by one family. The balance is divided among the various districts. There are good wood school-houses in each district, except that in No. 4, at Sebago Lake, which is of brick. LAWYERS. Simon Greenleaf, late Professor of Law in Harvard University, and author of "Greenleaf on Evidence," 1833; Randolph S. Codman, William Boyd, Nathan Appleton, Daniel C. Pooh, Henry Lowell, Fitz-Henry Mussey. Present Horatio J. Swasey, who commenced practice at Standish Corner, in 1833. PHYSICIANS. Dr. Isaac Snow Tompson, Dr. Ebenezer Howe, who died in 1841, Dr. Phineas Ingalls, Dr. Toles, Dr. Whitney, Dr. William Westcott. Present Dr. William Cobb, from 1864, Dr. A. V. Thompson, 1874 to 1879. WILLIAM H. DRESSER, eldest son of Joseph and Olive (Dennett) Dresser, was born in Hollis, York Co., Me., Jan. 1, 1832. His father was a native of Buxton, and died about 1837. His mother was a daughter of the late John Dennett, of Hollis, one of the early settlers of that town, a farmer and tanner by occupation, a prominent citizen of the town and county, and who, for twenty years in succession, was a representative in the Legislature of Massachusetts prior to Maine becoming an independent State. William H. received his education in the common school and Standish Academy. For ten years he was a teacher during winter terms, working on the farm in summers. In 1867 he opened a general store in Standish, having become a resident of that town when only two years of age by the removal of his parents, who settled there from Hollis in 1834. He continued his mercantile business for three years. In 1870 he was appointed deputy sheriff, which office he held until 1876, when he was elected on the Republican ticket sheriff of Cumberland County and by re-election, in the fall of 1878, is now serving his second term. In early childhood Mr. Dresser began to take an interest in local politics and a general interest in the affairs of town and county, and as a citizen of Standish represented his town in various official places of trust. For three years he was a member of the school board; was collector and treasurer of the town and for three years selectman, assessor, and overseer of the poor. The other children of his father's family are Daniel R. and Angeline, wife of James W. Brown, principal of the State Reform School in Minnesota. He married, April 27, 1861, Cassendana, youngest daughter in a family of ten children of Wear and Mercy (Sanborn) Cram, of Standish. Her grandfather, Daniel Cram, was one of the early settlers of the town. Mrs. Dresser was born February 1830. Their children are Walter H., Alvin c., Maud G., and Mabel. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCES. TOBIAS LORD, son of Tobias and Susan (Deering) Lord, natives of Kennebunk, York Co., was born in Hollis, York Co., Dec. 30, 1803. His early life was spent on the farm and in assisting his father in lumbering. The remainder of his life, after reaching his majority, has been spent in farming, lumbering, and as a merchant. He married Adeline, daughter of Joseph Hobson, of Buxton, Me. Of this union were born five children, four of whom are living, viz., John, Jeremiah, Abbie, wife of Dr. William S. Cobb, of Standish, Tobias, Jr. Politically he was originally a Democrat, but became a Republican upon the formation of that party. He was a representative from Buxton in the State Legislature of 1836. In the spring of 1836 he removed from Buxton to Standish, and has been a representative since he resided in Cumberland County, and has also held the local offices of assessor and selectmen. TOBIAS LORD, JR., youngest son of Tobias Lord, was born in the town of Standish, Cumberland Co., Me., Dec. 2, 1846. His parents removed from Buxton some forty years ago, and settled at Steep Falls, where his father has been largely engaged in the lumber business, and during his residence there he has been instrumental in building up the village. Tobias Lord, Jr., received a good common-school and academical education, and at the age of sixteen was appointed clerk in the Provost-Marshal General s Bureau, Washington, D.C. After one year he resigned and became a clerk for his father. In 1875 he succeeded his father in the general store, and has since carried on a successful business at Steep Falls, Standish. Mr. Lord is an interested, active, and influential member of the Republican party, and represented the district of Standish and Baldwin in the Legislature of 1879 and 1880. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since he reached his majority, passing through the York and Ancient and Accepted Scottish bodies to the thirty-second degree, and has been installed Chancellor Commander of the first lodge of Knights of Pythias instituted in Standish. He is a man of great perseverance, of strict integrity in all his business relations, and performs his official duties with zeal and fidelity. COL. LEMUEL RICH (3D), son of Israel and Rhoda (Smith) Rich, was born in the town of Standish, Aug. 25, 1804. His father was born in Gorham in 1776, and his ancestors were from England, settled in Truro, Mass., from which place the family removed to Cumberland County. Col. Rich received his education in the common school and in Gorham Academy. His early life was spent in agricultural pursuits, teaching school, and in the cooper business. In 1831 he began selling general merchandise in the town of Standish, and in the same year, December 2d, he married Esther, daughter of James Bangs, of Gorham. They have an adopted son, John H., who is a member of the firm of L. Rich & Son, of Standish. Politically, he was originally a Democrat, but became a member of the Republican party during President Pierce s administration. He was a representative in the State Legislature in 1840 and 1841; county commissioner in 1842, '44, '45, and '46; and has held the office of justice of the peace since 1831, a period of nearly one-half a century. He is a member of the Baptist Church of Standish. He joined the State militia in 1823, was commissioned lieutenant in 1826, and resigned with the rank of colonel. His wife died March, 1874. WILLIAM RICH, son of Col. Lemuel and Betsey (Smith) Rich, was born in the town of Standish, Oct. 15, 1809. His education was received in the common school and at Parsonsfield Academy. His life has been spent on the farm and in the manufacture of lumber. He married, Oct. 19, 1837, Hannah, daughter of Joshua Emery, of Gorham. She was born in that town, May 16, 1816. Of this union were born six children, Lyman H., born July 19, 1839, and died Dec. 13, 1857; Samuel C., born Sept. 12, 1841, and resides with his father; W. E. Channing, born April 10, 1843, principal of Lameree Grammar School at South Boston; Cyrus H., born March 18, 1845, resides in Lowell; Eugene, born April 10, 1847; Emery, born Nov. 7, 1850. The mother of these children died Nov. 17, 1850. Mr. Rich married, June 26, 1853, Lucy, daughter of Daniel Freeman, of Standish. She was born Dec. 8, 1821. Of this union was born one daughter, Hannah E., born July 25, 1857. He is a respectable farmer, and has held the office of selectman in his town. He is a member of the church, and a promoter of kindred interests.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids