Extract for the Congregation of Shore Street, Donaghadee
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) and/or Soldiers Died in the Great War I have transcribed.
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Angus||George||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Angus ||James||Bangor||Private||Canadian Infantry||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Angus||John B.||Bangor||Rifleman||Killed in Action|
|Angus ||Robert||Bangor||L/Corpl.||Royal Scots Fusiliers||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Angus||Samuel||Bangor||Sergt.-Major||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Angus||Thomas||Donaghadee||Royal Irish Fusiliers||Prisoner of War|
|Angus||William||Donaghadee||Rifleman||13th Batt. Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Bunting||James||Donaghadee||Sergeant||Army Service Corps|
|Bunting||Robert||Donaghadee||Corporal||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Campbell||Alex.||Donaghadee||Lance-Corporal||13th Batt., Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Campbell||Wm. A.||Portavo, Donaghadee|
|Clegg||Matthew||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Clegg||Richard||Donaghadee||Private||Army Service Corps|
|Clegg||Robert||Shore Street||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Foster||Robert||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Galway||James||Donaghadee||Corporal||Kings Own Scottish Borderers||3 times Wounded|
|Gaw||John||Donaghadee||Lance-Corporal||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Girvine ||Alex.||Donaghadee||Driver||Royal Engineers||Wounded|
|Gray||Alex.||Donaghadee||Corporal||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Hamil||Peter||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Lennon||Thos.||Donaghadee||Private||Army Ordnance Corp|
|Lindsay||Francis W.||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Louden ||Benjamin George||Donaghadee||Sergeant||Black Watch|
|Louden ||Henry Thomas|
|McCullough ||John||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|McCutcheon||Jas.||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McDowell ||Fergus||Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McGaffin ||Robert||Ballyhoy, Donaghadee||Killed in Action (poss? CWGC)|
|McGaffin ||W. (Jas.?)||Ballyhoy, Donaghadee||Private||Killed in Action (poss? CWGC)|
|Magowan||Robert||Driver||Army Service Corps||Wounded|
|Melville||William||Donaghadee||Private||10th Batt., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Moore||Wm. J. M.||Donaghadee||Driver||Royal Engineers||Wounded|
|Morrow||John||Herdstown, Donaghadee||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Patton||Robert||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Patton||William||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Robinson||Robert||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||James||Herdstown||Private||Prisoner of War|
|Semple||Robert||East Street||Rifleman||Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||Wm.||East Street||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||William||Manor Street||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Tanner||William||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Thompson||Charles||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Matear ||Robert||Ballwilliam||Private||Wellington Regiment, N.Z.E.F.||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
1. Recorded in the Roll of Honour but not on the church memorial.
2. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
3. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Akel" but on the church memorial as "Ab". Ref to census confirms "Abel"
4. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Donnen" but on the church memorial as "Dunnon".
5. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Edward" but on the church memorial as "A".
6. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Girvan" but on the church memorial as "Girvine".
7. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "London" but on the church memorial as "Louden". Both found on census and appear to be twins.
8. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Jas." but on the church memorial as "W". However a Robert and James McGaffin were found on CWGC serving with the Canadians.
9. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Mateer" but on the church memorial as "Matear".
10. These names also seem to appear on the memorial for Trinity, Bangor.
Original image courtesy of Barry Niblock.