Extract for the Congregation of Shore Street, Donaghadee
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) and/or Soldiers Died in the Great War I have transcribed.
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Angus ||James||Bangor||Private||Canadian Infantry||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Angus||John B.||Bangor||Rifleman||Killed in Action|
|Angus ||Robert||Bangor||L/Corpl.||Royal Scots Fusiliers||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Angus||Thomas||Donaghadee||R.I.F.||Prisoner of War|
|Angus||William||Donaghadee||Rifleman||13th Batt. R.I. Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Campbell||Alex.||Donaghadee||Lance-Corporal||13th Batt. R.I. Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Campbell||Wm. A.||Portavo, Donaghadee|
|Galway||James||Donaghadee||Corporal||K.O.S.B.||3 times Wounded|
|Louden ||Benjamin George||Donaghadee||Sergeant||Black Watch|
|Louden ||Henry Thomas|
|McCullough ||John||Donaghadee||Rifleman||R.I.R.||Killed in Action|
|McGaffin ||Robert||Ballyhoy, Donaghadee||Killed in Action (poss? CWGC)|
|McGaffin ||W. (Jas.?)||Ballyhoy, Donaghadee||Private||Killed in Action (poss? CWGC)|
|Melville||William||Donaghadee||Private||10th Batt. R. Innis. Fus.||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Moore||Wm. J. M.||Donaghadee||Driver||R.E.||Wounded|
|Patton||Robert||Rifleman||R.I.R.||Prisoner of War|
|Patton||William||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Robinson||Robert||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||James||Herdstown||Private||Prisoner of War|
|Semple||Robert||East Street||Rifleman||R.I.R.||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||Wm.||East Street||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Semple||William||Manor Street||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Tanner||William||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Thompson||Charles||Donaghadee||Killed in Action (prob CWGC; SDGW)|
|Matear ||Robert||Ballwilliam||Private||Wellington Regiment, N.Z.E.F.||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
1. Recorded in the Roll of Honour but not on the church memorial.
2. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
3. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Akel" but on the church memorial as "Ab". Ref to census confirms "Abel"
4. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Donnen" but on the church memorial as "Dunnon".
5. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Edward" but on the church memorial as "A".
6. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Girvan" but on the church memorial as "Girvine".
7. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "London" but on the church memorial as "Louden". Both found on census and appear to be twins.
8. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Jas." but on the church memorial as "W". However a Robert and James McGaffin were found on CWGC serving with the Canadians.
9. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Mateer" but on the church memorial as "Matear".
10. These names also seem to appear on the memorial for Trinity, Bangor.