Extract for the Congregation of Portaferry
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website, Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) which I have transcribed or Lives of the First World War (LOTFWW).
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Bailie (Baillie)||James||Priestown||Corporal||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Caughey||William||Church Street||Corporal||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Dodds||Alexander||Ballybrannigan||Private||10th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Dodds||William J.||The Square||Royal Air Force|
|Donaldson||Andrew||Thomastown||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Gowan||George||Kearney||Private||Army Service Corps|
|Hanna ||Wm.||The Shore||Sergeant||1st Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Moreland||Andrew||Corrock||Private||8th Royal Irish Rifles|
|McCluskey||Hugh||Ballyblack||Private||18th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McCluskey||William J.||Ballyblack||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Died in Training (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McDonnell||Alex.||The Shore||Signaller||294th Royal Garrison Artillery||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|McDonnell ||David John||Ballygalget||Private||11th/13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McDonnell||James||The Shore||Captain||17th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McMullan||William||Ballyward||Corporal||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McNeece (McNiece) ||John||Quinton||Signaller||7th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Savage||Edward||Barr Hall||Corporal||8th Royal Irish Rifles||Twice Wounded|
|Savage||John||Bar Hall||Engineer||H.M.S. Minneapolis|
|Savage||Langtry||Bar Hall||8th Royal Irish Rifles||Twice Wounded|
|Savage||H. Leslie||Bar Hall||Cadet||Royal Air Force|
|Torney||William||High Street||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Wotherspoon ||George Harle||Church Street||Private||Italian E.F. Transport Service|
|Bailie||Harry R.||Priestown||N.Z., Canterbury Regt.|
|Kelly||David||Ferry Street||Canadian A.S.C.|
|Savage||William||Bar Hall||N.Z.E.F., Dardanelles||Wounded|
|Wilson||J. W. Albert, M.D.||The Square||Captain||R.A.M.C., B.E.F., Africa|
|Wilson ||Charles Hugh Patrick||The Square||Canadian A.S.C.||Killed (CWGC)|
1. Recorded in the Roll of Honour but not on the church memorial.
2. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
3. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour and church memorial as "Bailie" but CWGC and SDGW as "Baillie".
4. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "McNeice" but on the church memorial as "McNeece".
5. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Witherspoon" but on the church memorial as "Wotherspoon" as does 1911 census.
6. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Parke" and as having been "Wounded" but on the church memorial as "C.H.P." and "Killed". CWGC records "Charles H. P." and 1911 census in full.
7. Battalion recorded in the Roll of Honour as "18th" but CWGC and SDGW give as "11th/13th".