Congregation of Glennan
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) and/or Soldiers Died in the Great War I have transcribed.
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Anderson ||W. J.||Emyvale||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Boyd*||Allan||Emyvale||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Cargill ||Jack||Glasslough||Sergeant||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Clow ||Hugh Brodie|
|Foster||Kelvey||Glasslough||Sergeant||9th Batt., Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Gillanders||Joseph||Glasslough||Lance-Corporal||12th Batt., Royal Irish Rifles|
|Gillanders||Robert||Glasslough||Sergeant||12th Batt., Royal Irish Rifles|
|Gillanders||Samuel||Glasslough||Private||9th Batt., Royal Irish Rifles|
|Gillanders||William||Glasslough||Private||Army Service Corps|
|Mitchell||Wm.||Glasslough||Sergeant||152nd Coy. Royal Engineers|
|Nixon ||James||Glasslough||Private||Royal Army Medical Corps||Died (CWGC)|
|Nixon||Thomas||Glasslough||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Steenson* ||Samuel||Tynan||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Stewart||Robert||Glasslough||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Sturgeon* ||Daniel||Glasslough||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Sturgeon||Samuel||Glasslough||Sergeant||12th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Vance*||Samuel||Glasslough||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Vance||William||Glasslough||Private||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Wilson*||Alec||Glasslough||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Wilson||John||Glasslough||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Woods||Wm.||Glasslough||Q.-Master Sergt.||2nd Irish Guards|
* The names of those recorded on the Roll of Honour as having fallen are not on the main memorial (see photo below). I would presume they are on a separate memorial elsewhere in the church.
1. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
2. Name recorded in Roll of Honour as "Anderson" but "Amberson" on the church memorial.
3. First name recorded on the church memorial as "John".
4. A James Nixon is recorded as having survived on the church memorial but the James Nixon on the Roll of Honour is buried in Glennan Churchyard. Need to find church's memorial to the fallen to check if there was a second James.
6. Recorded on CWGC as serving with 9th Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers.
7. The names of these women are recorded on the church memorial with no indiction of type of service. It is confirmed that Millie Eakin served as a nurse and it can be reasonably assumed so did the others.
Image courtesy of Anne McCully.