Extract for the Congregation of First Presbyterian Church, Comber
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website, Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) which I have transcribed or Lives of the First World War (LOTFWW).
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Adair ||W. C.|
|Beers||Robert||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Beers||William||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Black ||Robert John|
|Boyd ||George Taylor||Comber||L/Corporal||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Boyd||James||Comber||Corporal||3rd Royal Irish Rifles|
|Burgess||Samuel R.||Comber||Corporal||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Caldwell||Victor||Comber||Private||Royal Irish Regiment|
|Campbell ||H.||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Casey ||George||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Casey ||James||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Casey ||Thomas||Comber||Driver||Army Service Corps|
|Casey ||William||Comber||Private||Worcester Regiment|
|Dickson||William||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Donnan||William||Comber||Private||Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Finlay ||James||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Died|
|Fisher||George||Comber||Corporal||Trench Mortar Battery|
|Fisher||Thomas James||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Galway||James||Comber||Gunner||Royal Field Artillery||Wounded|
|Galway||Samuel||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Gamble ||David John||Comber||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Died in Germany (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Gamble||John||Comber||Private||4th Seaforth Highlanders|
|Gibson||George||Comber||Private||Army Service Corps||Wounded|
|Glover ||Alexander||Comber||Private||16th Royal Irish Rifles||Died (CWGC)|
|Glover||John||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Graham||Donald||Comber||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Graham||Louis||Comber||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Graham||Norman||Comber||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps||M.C.|
|Graham||William||Comber||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Gunning||James||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Hood ||A.||Comber||Sapper||Royal Engineers|
|Hood||W. J.||Comber||Stoker||Royal Navy|
|Horner||Jacob||Comber||Trooper||North Irish Horse||Wounded|
|Johnstone||James||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Kirk||James||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Loughran||James||Comber||Sergeant||Royal Field Artillery|
|Megraw||Ainsley||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Minnis||George||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Mitchell||David||Comber||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps||Wounded|
|McBurney ||Edward||Comber||Engineer-Lieut.||Royal Navy Reserve||Killed|
|McBurney ||James Wilson||Comber||Lieutenant||14th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|McCann||Albert||Comber||Engineer-Lieut.||Royal Navy Reserve|
|McCann||Robert||Comber||Lieutenant||Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve|
|McCulloch ||John||Comber||Private||8th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McQuoid||William J.||Comber||Corporal||Army Service Corps|
|Oliver ||Ellis||Comber||Private||6th Royal Irish Fusiliers||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Oliver ||John||Comber||Ass. Mech.||Royal Air Force|
|Oliver ||John||Comber||Corporal||19th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Oliver||Thomas||Comber||Private||20th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Patton||James||Comber||Private||11th/13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Patton||Joseph||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Price||John||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Proctor||Hugh||Comber||Lieutenant||Royal Flying Corps||Wounded|
|Proctor||James||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Proctor||John||Comber||Bombardier||Royal Field Artillery|
|Quinn||John||Comber||Sergeant||Royal Marine Light Infantry||Killed (CWGC)|
|Ritchie||J. A.||Comber||2nd Lieutenant||Army Service Corps|
|Ritchie ||Henry D.||Killed|
|Scott||Albert||Comber||2nd A.M.||Royal Flying Corps|
|Scott||William||Comber||Private||18th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Shannon||William||Comber||Sergeant||2nd Royal Irish Rifles|
|Skillen||John||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Smyth ||David (sen.)|
|Smyth ||David (jun.)|
|Smyth ||John B.|
|Smyth ||Robert (Bertie)||Comber||Engineer-Lieut.||Royal Navy Reserve|
|Speers||James||Comber||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Speers||William||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Stevenson||Alexander||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Strange||George||Comber||Lieutenant||2nd Royal Garrison Artillery|
|Strange||Girvan||Comber||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Swindle ||John||Comber||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Thompson||Hans||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Thompson||James||Comber||Private||1st King's Liverpool|
|Thompson||Robert||Comber||Rifleman||12th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Thompson||Wm. J.||Comber||Rifleman||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Todd||Hugh||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Todd||John||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Todd||Joseph||Comber||Lance-Corporal||12th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Vogan||Samuel||Comber||Rifleman||2nd Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Watt||W. H.||Comber||Corporal||26th Royal Field Artillery||Wounded|
|Wherry ||Alexander||Comber||Private||Royal Engineers|
|Wherry ||David||Comber||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Woods ||Frederick J.|
1. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
2. Roll of Honour gave rank as "Sergeant" but CWGC and SDGW give as "Lance Corporal".
3. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "William" but on the church memorial gives initial "H".
4. Surname recored in the Roll of Honour as "Cassey" but on church memorial as "Casey" as does 1911 census.
5. While both church memorial and Roll of Honour list as killed (RoH lists 13th RIR) I can find no reference in either CWGC or SDGW.
6. The Roll of Honour lists regiment as "13th RIR" but CWGC and SDGW give it as "12th RIR".
7. Can find no correspoding reference in SDGW.
8. The Roll of Honour lists initial as "J" but church memorial gives it as "A".
9. The Roll of Honour lists as survived but is recorded as having died on the church memorial.
10. The Roll of Honour lists regiment as "20th RIR" but CWGC gives it as "14th RIR".
11. The Roll of Honour lists regiment as "13th RIR" but CWGC and SDGW give it as "8th RIR".
12. The Roll of Honour lists regiment as "13th RI Rifles" but CWGC and SDGW give it as "6th RI Fusiliers".
13. The Roll of Honour lists two "John Olivers" but the church memorial gives only one.
14. Surname listed on the Roll of Honour as "Smythe" but on church memorial as "Smyth". The Roll of Honour also gives the name as "Bertie" but church memorial lists name as "Robert"
15. The Roll of Honour lists regiment as "18th RIR" but CWGC and SDGW give it as "12th RIR".
16. While the Roll of Honour lists suranme as "Wherry" the church memorial gives it as "Wheerie". However, the 1911 census also gives spelling as "Wherry".