Congregation of Ballygowan
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) and/or Soldiers Died in the Great War I have transcribed.
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Boyce||James||Magherascouse||Private||14th R.I.R.||Twice Wounded|
|Brown||William||Ballygowan||Private||Sutherland Highlanders||Wounded 5 times|
|Burrows ||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||R.I.R.||Killed in Action (possible CWGC; SDGW)|
|Burrows ||Robert J.||Ballygowan||Private||R.E.|
|Clarke||James||Ballygowan||Private||19th R.I.R.||Killed in Action|
|Dickson||A. McC.||Ardmore||Lieutenant||18th R.I.R.||M.C., Wounded|
|Dickson||J. E.||Ardmore||Lieutenant||13th R.I.R.|
|Galbraith ||David||Ballygowan||M.T. A.S.C.||Prisoner of War|
|Gibson||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||19th R.I.R.||Prisoner of War|
|Gibson||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||16th R.I.R.||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Grant ||John||Ballyknockan||Private||Dublin Fus.||Wounded|
|Hanna||David||Ballykeigle||Private||13th R.I.R.||Wounded and Prisoner|
|Hill||Charles||Ravara||Private||13th R.I.R.||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Jordan ||Lowry||Ballygowan||Lance-Corporal||2nd Rf. Brigade||M.M. and Bar, Twice Wounded (CWGC)|
|Jordan||Wallace||Ballygowan||Private||13th R.I.R.||Killed (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McDowell ||James W.||Died|
|McDowell||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||13th R.I.R.||Prisoner of War|
|McIlwaine ||James||Ballygowan||Corporal||14th Y.C.V.|
|McMurray ||Robert D.||Ballygowan||High. Lt. Inf.|
|Massey||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||16th Cyclists' Co.||Prisoner of War|
|Maxwell||John||Carnesure, Comber||Private||10th R.I.R.|
|Mills||John||Ardenvohr Street, Belfast||17th R.I.R.||Killed|
|Pyper ||William||Moneyrea, Ballygowan||19th R.I.R.|
|Young ||Harry||Private||R.M.||Killed in Action|
|Grant||Samuel||Ballyknockan||Private||Can. Inf.||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|McDowell||R. J.||Ballygowan||Lance-Corporal||Can. Inf.||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Millar||Wm. Barry R.||Ballygowan||Corporal||13th Australian Inf.||Killed in Action|
|Shiels ||Robert||Magherascouse||Private||Can. Inf.||Wounded|
|Stevenson||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||A.S.C., Aust. L.H.|
|Dickson ||Miss J. Kathleen|
1. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
2. While the Roll of Honour records two men with the name "Robert Burrows" the memorial records only one "Robert J. Burrows" who died. It may be possible that these entries relate to the same man.
3. The Roll of Honour records the rank of Robert Craigan as "Private" while the church memorial records it as "Lieutenant".
4. The church memorial records the spelling of the name as "Domican".
5. While the Roll of Honour records no rank the church memorial records it as "Private".
6. While the Roll of Honour records rank as "Private" the church memorial records it as "Corporal".
7. The memorial records Lowry Jordan as having died. The CWGC lists L. Jordan "RAF" as being buried in Ballygowan Churchyard. The London Gazette of 10 Aug 1916 records 4034 Pte L Jordan Rif Brigade being awarded the MM.
8. The church memorial records the rank as "Sergeant".
9. While recorded in the Roll of Honour William Pyper is not recorded on the church memorial.
10. The christian name is recorded on the church memorial as "Henry".