Congregation of Ballygowan
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) and/or Soldiers Died in the Great War I have transcribed.
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Boyce||James||Magherascouse||Private||14th Royal Irish Rifles||Twice Wounded|
|Brown||William||Ballygowan||Private||Sutherland Highlanders||Wounded 5 times|
|Burrows ||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (possible CWGC; SDGW)|
|Burrows ||Robert J.||Ballygowan||Private||Royal Engineers|
|Clarke||James||Ballygowan||Private||19th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action|
|Connolly ||Samuel||Ballygowan||Royal Navy|
|Craigan ||Robert||Magherascouse||Private||North Irish Horse||Wounded|
|Dickson||A. McC.||Ardmore||Lieutenant||18th Royal Irish Rifles||M.C., Wounded|
|Dickson||J. E.||Ardmore||Lieutenant||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Dumican ||Samuel||Ardmore||Lieutenant||Royal Irish Rifles|
|Gabby||William||Magherascouse||Private||17th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Galbraith ||David||Ballygowan||M.T. Army Service Corps||Prisoner of War|
|Gibson||Joseph||Ballygowan||Private||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Gibson||Joseph||Ballygowan||Private||19th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Gibson||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||19th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|Gibson||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||16th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Grant ||John||Ballyknockan||Private||Dublin Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Hanna||David||Ballykeigle||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded and Prisoner|
|Hill||Charles||Ravara||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Jordan||Alexander||Ballygowan||Private||Army Service Corps|
|Jordan ||Lowry||Ballygowan||Lance-Corporal||2nd Rifle Brigade||M.M. and Bar, Twice Wounded (CWGC)|
|Jordan||Wallace||Ballygowan||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McDowell ||James W.||Died|
|McDowell||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Prisoner of War|
|McIlwaine ||James||Ballygowan||Corporal||14th Y.C.V.|
|McMurray ||Robert D.||Ballygowan||Highland Light Infantry|
|Mannis||Daniel||Ballygowan||Private||12th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Mannis||George||Ballygowan||Sergeant||13th Royal Irish Rifles||M.M.|
|Massey||Robert||Ballygowan||Private||16th Cyclists' Co.||Prisoner of War|
|Maxwell||John||Carnesure, Comber||Private||10th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Meharry||John||Ballygowan||Private||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Mills||John||Ardenvohr Street, Belfast||17th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed|
|Mills||William||Ballygowan||Private||Army Service Corps|
|Murray ||John||Magherascouse||Royal Navy|
|Nixon||Alexander||Ballygowan||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Pyper||Thomas||Moneyrea, Ballygowan||Private||North Irish Horse|
|Pyper ||William||Moneyrea, Ballygowan||19th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Rea||John||Ballygowan||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|Reid||William||Ballygowan||Private||13th Royal Irish Rifles|
|Stevenson||William||Ballygowan||Private||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Young||George||Ballygowan||Private||Army Service Corps||Killed|
|Young ||Harry||Private||R.M.||Killed in Action|
|Grant||Samuel||Ballyknockan||Private||Canadian Infantry||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|McDowell||R. J.||Ballygowan||Lance-Corporal||Canadian Infantry||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Millar||Wm. Barry R.||Ballygowan||Corporal||13th Australian Infantry||Killed in Action|
|Shiels ||Robert||Magherascouse||Private||Canadian Infantry||Wounded|
|Stevenson||Samuel||Ballygowan||Private||Army Service Corps, Aust. L.H.|
|Dickson ||Miss J. Kathleen|
1. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
2. While the Roll of Honour records two men with the name "Robert Burrows" the memorial records only one "Robert J. Burrows" who died. It may be possible that these entries relate to the same man.
3. The Roll of Honour records the rank of Robert Craigan as "Private" while the church memorial records it as "Lieutenant".
4. The church memorial records the spelling of the name as "Domican".
5. While the Roll of Honour records no rank the church memorial records it as "Private".
6. While the Roll of Honour records rank as "Private" the church memorial records it as "Corporal".
7. The memorial records Lowry Jordan as having died. The CWGC lists L. Jordan "RAF" as being buried in Ballygowan Churchyard. The London Gazette of 10 Aug 1916 records 4034 Pte L Jordan Rif Brigade being awarded the MM.
8. The church memorial records the rank as "Sergeant".
9. While recorded in the Roll of Honour William Pyper is not recorded on the church memorial.
10. The christian name is recorded on the church memorial as "Henry".
Original images courtesy of Barry Niblock.