Extract for the Congregation of First Presbyterian Church, Armagh
I have compared the entries in the Roll of Honour with the names recorded on the Memorial installed in the church. I have added those names not recorded in the Roll and noted any differences etc. I found either as a footnote or in brackets. For those fallen, where possible, I have also added a link to the relevant entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website, Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) which I have transcribed, Lives of the First World War (LOTFWW) or National Archives of Australia (NAA).
|Surname||First Name||House||Address||Rank||Regiment, Battalion or Unit||Remarks|
|Anderson ||Leigh Maxwell||Victoria Street||Lieutenant||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers||Died (CWGC)|
|Blair||Harold||Barrack Hill||Private||Royal Engineers|
|Bratten||James||Tyra||Sergeant||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Briggs||John J.||Milford||Sergeant||3rd Royal Irish Fusiliers||Prisoner of War|
|Brittain||Ernest||Barrack Hill||Sergeant||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Brown||Robert||Sunnymede||Lieut.-Col.||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Clarke ||William||Ballmagalliah (Ballynagalliagh?)||Driver||Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Clarke||William J.||Tyra||Private||Prisoner of War|
|Dunlop ||John L.||Captain|
|Ferris||Joseph Skelton||2nd Lieutenant||Royal Air Force|
|Ferris||William T.||The Mall||Lieutenant||Black Watch||Wounded|
|Foster||Charles||Dobbin Street||Lieutenant||Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Gallagher||George H.||Newry Road||Private||Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Gallagher||William||Newry Road||Private||Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Hopkins||John||Gaol Square||Sergeant||Royal Irish Fusiliers||D.C.M.|
|Hutton||Charles||Market Street||Air Mechanlc||Royal Air Force|
|Hutton||William||Market Street||Air Mechanlc||Royal Air Force|
|Irwin||Robert J.||Boyd's Row||Driver||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Kerr||William||Private||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Leeman||Percival G.||Victoria Street||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps||M.C.|
|Leeman||Reginald T.||Victoria Street||Captain||Royal Army Service Corps|
|McAlister (McAlester) ||Jack (John)||Railway House||Private||9th Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Macartney ||George||Killuney||Private||Post Office Rifles||Wounded|
|McAteer ||William||Gaol Square||Private||9th Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|McAteer||Alexander||Gaol Square||Private||Royal Irish Rifles||Wounded|
|McDougall||John||Scotch Street||Private||Irish Guards|
|McKennell ||John||Killylinn||Trooper||North Irish Horse|
|McLaughlan||John S.||Milford||Corporal||Royal Irish Fusiliers||Wounded|
|McLaughlan ||William||Milford||Private||Royal Irish Rifles||Killed in Action (CWGC; SDGW)|
|Mahaffy  ||Lamont Hutchinson||Tower Hill||Captain||Royal Army Medical Corps||Mentioned in Despatches (LOTFWW)|
|Mahaffy  ||Lamont||Tower Hill||Bombardier||Royal Garrison Artillery||(LOTFWW)|
|Miller||R. C.||Drumsill||Lieutenant||Royal Field Artillery|
|Reid ||William G.||Royal Engineers|
|Reynor||Samuel||Gaol Square||Private||Royal Irish Fusiliers||Wounded|
|Sleator||Clyde||Railway Street||Air Mechanlc||Royal Air Force|
|Thomson||Bertram||Abbey Street||Lieutenant||Royal Garrison Artillery|
|Thomson||Alex. B.||Abbey Street||Private||Army Ordnance Corps|
|Todd||W. Frederick||Milford||Private||Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Todd||Thomas Harold||Milford||Corporal||Royal Army Medical Corps|
|Trimble||Alan||English Street||Corporal||Royal Engineers|
|Trimble||Charles||English Street||Lieutenant||Royal Field Artillery||Wounded|
|Watson ||Frederick William|
|Boyd||Herbert||English Street||Corporal||Canadian Engineers|
|Farley||Andrew Frederick McAllister||Thomas Street||Private||Canadian A.V.C.|
|McKennell ||Thomas||Killylinn||Private||P.P. Canadian Light Infantry||Killed in Action (CWGC)|
|Magill||Samuel||Newry Road||Private||Canadian Engineers|
|Maxwell ||Herbert Ernest||English Street||Private||Australian E.F.||(NAA)|
|Maxwell||Robert||English Street||Private||Canadian E.F.|
|Stuart||Herbert||Tower Hill||Corporal||Canadian Royal Army Medical Corps||Killed in Action (poss CWGC)|
|Brooks ||Edith K.|
|Maxwell ||Margaret J.||Royal Red Cross|
1. Recorded on the church memorial but not in the Roll of Honour.
2. Recorded in the Roll of Honour but not on the church memorial.
3. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "McAlister" but on the church memorial as "McAlester" but the 1911 census records family "McAlister".
4. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "McCartney" but on the church memorial as "Macartney".
5. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "McKennall" but is "McKennell" on church memorial and in 1911 census.
6. Surname recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Mahaffey" but on the church memorial as "Mahaffy". Address is recorded as "Tower Hill" but 1911 census records as "Barrack Hill".
7. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "T. H." but on the church memorial as "Lamont H.". LOTFWW records name as "Lamont Hutchinson" as does 1911 census.
8. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Wm." but on the church memorial as "Lamont". LOTFWW also records name as "Lamont" as does 1911 census.
9. Name recorded in the Roll of Honour as "Fred." but on the church memorial as "Herbert". NAA records name as "Herbert Ernest".
10. Roll of Honour recorded name as "S. M.", the church memorial as "Hugh Maxwell" but CWGC and LOTFWW and census gives name as "Liegh Maxwell".
11. Roll of Honour recorded regiment as Royal Irish Fusiliers" but CWGC and SDGW gives as "Royal Irish Rifles".
12. Surname recorded in SDGW and LOTFWW corresponds with memorials but the CWGC gives a spelling of "McLauchlan".
Original images courtesy of Patrick Hugh Lynch.