EARLY GILES COUNTY
Many Updates to 2011 from
the original 1986 Edition,
then more updates to 2013
The limbs that move, the eyes that
These are not entirely me;
Dead men and women help to shape
The mold which I may not escape.
The words I speak, my written line,
These are not uniquely mine,
in my heart, and in my will,
ancestors are warring still.
Norman, Saxon, all ye dead,
whose rich blood my veins are fed,
aspect, gesture, voice's tone,
of my flesh, bone of my bone.
fields ye tilled, I plough the sod,
tread the mountain paths ye trod,
around my daily steps arise
splendours of the centuries.
Poems From Ireland, by Richard Towley
Times, Dublin, 1944.
were at least twenty-two different Young pioneer settlers families
in pre-1860 Giles Co and the surrounding area, fourteen in Giles
Co, most by 1830. “Surrounding Area” consists of Giles
Co, Maury Co,
western Lincoln, and Marshall Counties. Most Young descendants contained
in this book descend from the Youngs of Bradshaw Creek in Giles
Co TN, (in today's civil district 10) or their close cousins in
Maury, Marshall, and Lincoln Counties. There were other Young pioneers
in Hickman, and Franklin Counties (from PA and KY) who may or may
not be listed herein. The research emphasis was on the Young pioneers
of Giles Co and next door counties.
were eleven original researchers who contributed information for
this book, then two more were found who added much more since 1986.
Each had gathered informa-tion on his own for various reasons, most
being curiosity in his or her ancestry and the love of solving a
puzzle in which each researcher was a part. Flora East of Madera,
CA and Louise Young of Tyronza, AR had in the late 1960s supplied
John Young with the information which took his search to Giles Co,
and in April 1981 he made contact with cousin Gerald Young, and
in June with another cousin, Martha Ann Young, both of Giles Co.
From these two contacts other cousins were reached who freely gave
their information to this Young biography; as time went on, seven
more con-tributed heavily to the Young Family information.
for most of the SC research goes to Neva Fern Young of Temple, TX,
with much of her earlier information coming from Virginia Short
of Waco; Jackie Ellis of Walnut Creek, CA supplied the Willeford
information and much SC Young information; Juanita Ellis of Dallas,
TX supplied much of the informa-tion on a branch of the Youngs who
moved to TX; Gerald Young, Martha Young, and George Worsham of Giles
Co tirelessly tele-phoned, wrote, and visited cousins, cemeteries,
and the Giles Co courthouse for more info; and Geraldine
Young of Wellsville, OH wrote to
her cousins. Contributions from John Young were primarily TN census
reading and hundreds of hours in front of a keyboard. No single
person is responsible for this project; it was a joint effort which
could not have been accomplished without all eleven, plus the many
more not named on this page who provided twigs and branches to the
Family Forest. The Giles Co Historical Society must also be com-mended;
their publications provided quite a bit of information contained
herein. In the 2009-2010 years, most of the research was done via
the Internet. Be warned that often these records are abbreviated
from the actual record, so mistakes here may happen.
book, at first glance, would normally be called a Genealogy by most.
But since there are Youngs who have no obvious ties to others within
these pages, a better description would be to call it Kinology.
Keep in mind than genealogy information is always out of date as
people live and die.
more than five years we exchanged infor-mation by letter. But as
the Young names began to pile up, a computer with a word processor
was used. If anyone would prefer the information contained in this
book, contact John E Young. Even with these tools, undreamed of
in the pre-1983 years, there will no doubt be mistakes and omissions.
That is inev-itable in a venture of this size. But fortunately,
these mistakes can be corrected. Any additions and / or corrections,
and requests should be sent to John Young, PO Box 27045, Fresno
CA 93729. Email (in 2013) is
the Young Web Site is
are no spaces in these two addresses.
this book will have printed updates after 2010 is not known, but
corrections and additions will be added to our data files and web
page. For those who may need updated information only of just certain
names, contact the source person who has generally done the research
on that line, or contact John Young.
the end of each biography are letters and numbers within parentheses
which are the codes for the sources of information; the sources
are found at the end of the book. There is usually a pattern of
order in which the source codes were given: books first, people
second, and census and other county information last, but that order
of sources has no implication on whom or what supplied the most
information. In other words, (61,MD, NY,GE, 1aeyz) does not imply
that the primary source of info was the book Loyalist
In The Southern Cam-paign (source code 61) since it was listed
first, nor does it imply that M Evelyn Davis gave more info than
Geraldine E Young nor more than Neva Young, etc.
there are many Young descendants with the same names, an ID code
had to be used to identify them. These are the letters and num-bers
in [brackets] following most names. All who descend from a pre-1860
Young immigrant to Giles Co and many nearby counties were given
an ID number. Each child's ID number is a continuation of his parent's
number. When two Young cousins have children, their child is normally
continued under the father's number. Whenever possible, the birth
names of females are used; if the maiden name is not known, then
the "Mrs" title is used with her hus-band's name, or _____ for the
missing family name. Each biography of all Young descendants are
listed alphabetically, with the non-alphabetical names shown in
the index (an index is not available, nor needed, on the Young Web
Page). Young ancestors can be traced backwards by looking up the
name of the parent, which is given with each person listed; begin
with the most recent generation and move backwards. If two parents
are given, the second one having an ID code number, then both are
you search for a person alphabetically, and cannot find him, also
check for variant spellings of that person’s name. For example,
Katherine Young may be shown as Kathryn or Kate or Katie Young,
or even Catherine Young. Sometime a separate biography was not made
of a child if there was nothing more known of him, other than perhaps
a name and birth date.
early pioneers, being cut off from their families in the homeland
or in a previous state, would name their children in memory of brothers,
sisters, parents, etc. But not always. Just as today there are popular
personages who become the sources of names for newborn children,
this happened centuries ago also. But then the famous person was
not a music, movie, or television star, but was often a stage idol,
war hero, or president. This should be kept in mind when an unexplained
name appears to be pop-ular in one generation over a short span
of time and among children of families who are not closely related.
a reference to a decade, such as "the 1820s," is made. This includes
the years 1820 through 1829. "1700s" or "1800s" means the years
1700-1709 or 1800-1809, not the whole century. The century for those
years would be called the 18th Century or the 19th Century.
those who continue the Young search, remember that in the newly
settled territories the first pioneers would often have many names
for the same place or stream; it took a few years to establish a
commonly accepted name. For example, James Creek in Spartanburg
Co SC was called Jamies Creek, Jimmy's Creek, and James Creek; the
Tyger River at the present western side of Union Co was also called
Cane Creek, and Tygar was also used as the spelling.
like to berate the Union soldiers who burned Southern courthouses
during the Civil War, thus destroying vital records. But it was
not always the Yankees who did this. There was a well established
case near Atlanta, GA where the advan-cing northern General wondered
why the local courthouse was already burning as he and his men approached.
The Union Army had not shot cannon-balls at the courthouse in advance.
It was later learned that some of the local people had started that
fire in order to destroy tax and police records, so that their families
would be able to avoid paying their property taxes, and would be
able to be freed from jail without any criminal evidence. So all
the blame for courthouse burning in the South cannot be blamed on
Since there were so many people with same or similar common names
(John, William, Mary,
Elizabeth, Thomas, Joseph,
who was a Young
pioneer of early
of one of these pioneers,
given an ID# starting [Y1..., [Y2...,
[Y3..., etc with a CAPITAL
letter Y. Any other Young
and descen-dant who were not from the early Giles Co area, but whose
ancestry was traced anyway because they lived among the Giles
Co area Young families, was given an ID number with a small
case y, such as Richard
Young [y1e] (his descendants settled in the western side of AR,
in Scott Co.)
this project first started in the early 1980s, as each new Giles
Co Young pioneer was found, they were given an ID# starting with
[Y1], then [Y2], [Y3], etc. It was only later learned that some
of these early pioneers were siblings, or a nephew / niece / cousin
of an early Young pioneer. A quick look at the ID#s will show where
in Giles Co, or nearby, they lived by 1830:
was John Archibald Young,
born 1774, was from Spartanburg Co SC and settled in eastern Giles
Co TN in early 1809.
was Nathaniel Young, born
1777, was from Spartanburg Co SC and settled in Maury Co TN about
was Joseph Young, born
1780-1781, was from Spartanburg Co SC and settled in Maury Co
TN about 1805, then was living in Giles Co by 1820.
was Thomas Young, born
1781, was from Spartanburg Co SC and moved to Columbia, Maury
Co about 1818. He later moved to Giles Co. The above four men
were brothers, children of Nathaniel Young.
was Thomas Young, born
before 1756, and lived in the South Carolina Colony in the area
that became Spartanburg Co in 1785. He moved to Lincoln Co TN
in the winter of 1809-1810, and died there in 1813. He was an
uncle of the prior four Young settlers named above, and a brother
of Nathaniel Young.
was Mary "Polly" Young,
born between 1785 and 1790 in Spartanburg Co SC; She was a daughter
of Richard Young (brother of Thomas Young [Y5] above, and a brother
of Nathaniel Young), and moved to Columbia, Maury Co in the late
was Nancy Young, born in
1795 in VA. She moved to eastern Giles Co by the early 1810s.
was Ephraim Andrew Young,
born about 1799 in VA. He settled along the south central edge
of Giles Co next to the AL border by 1820.
was Rufus Knight Young.
born in 1795 in Providence Co RI, and settled in eastern Giles
Co in the late 1810s. He married a son of John Archibald Young
was Archibald E Young,
born about 1754 in Mecklenburg Co NC, and moved to northeast Giles
Co in 1811 or 1812. He may have been the grandfather of Nancy
Young [Y8] above.
was Adam Young, born before
1776; on 17 July 1797 Adam bought 834 acres on both sides of Richland
Creek in what was to become Giles Co. He was the first Young land
owner of Giles Co.
was Josiah W Young, born
1802 in GA, and married Elizabeth Reddell in Giles Co TN in 1825.
In 1830 they were found living in Lawrence Co TN and in 1831 they
moved to Searcy Co AR.
was Hiram Young, born 7
May 1805 in VA, lived in Lincoln Co in the early 19th century,
and came to Giles Co in 1853.
was Rebecca Young, daughter
of John Young and Elizabeth Andrews of Meck-lenburg Co VA, and
a sister of Ephraim Andrews Young [E8].
was James Young, born in
KY and who lived in Giles Co with wife Margaret in 1840.
was John A Young, born
in Bedford Co TN in 1847, and moved to southern Giles Co after
1870 with his wife Nannie Jackson.
was Nicholas Young, born
about 1747 in Germany, and settled in William Penn’s Colony
near Bethlehem, Bucks Co (now in PA), before the American Revolution.
Isaac Young of north center Spartanburg Co SC.
Young, born in the 1760s, and came to Maury Co about
1811. He married a Nancy Adkins.
Young, born 1775 or before, and lived in Maury Co
Young, born 1795 in KY, and lived in Maury Co in
1830 and afterwards.
W Young, born 1762, and lived in Maury Co TN in
was Moses Young,
born 1792 SC and lived in TN before 1860 and in Webster Co MO
from 1860 until he died.
was Claiborn Young
of Morgan Co MO, and whose son moved to Webster Co MO where the
[Y19] and [y23] families also lived.
of the above Young pioneers who were not at first identified as
children of the Young pioneers, were given their unique ID#. such
as [Y5]. Otherwise, if they were children of the known pioneers,
they were given ID#s as a continuation of the above pioneers ID#.
Hill Cemetery is a quarter mile west of Highway 65 in Giles
Co TN, and a short distance up the hill (north) of Highway 15; the
old homestead of John Archibald Young [Y1] is on the other side
of Highway 65, downhill from this Cemetery. This Cemetery was apparently
a family Cemetery in the early 19th century, but over the years
many people were buried there who have no obvious family ties to
the Young families nearby. Most, if not all, of the 19th century
burials of those with Young or Smith family names are related to
John Archibald Young [Y1] or his wife Nancy Smith. The Cemetery
is on rocky ground and therefore has few remaining sites for more
graves. See Bradshaw below. (GE,JY, NY, GY, MA)
was a farming community at the east center of Giles Co nestled along
Bradshaw Creek, contained in the present Civil District 10, and
is now a short walk west of Frankewing. In 1836 the state government
changed the system of dividing the counties, from a militia system
to civil district system. The Giles Co leaders then divided the
county into 17 districts. Bradshaw fell into the new Civil District
10. Bradshaw Creek was named for surveyor William Bradshaw who became
stuck in quicksand while surveying there for the government in 1783.
Bradshaw's center was the Bradshaw Missionary Baptist Church. The
surrounding coun-tryside is green and lush with many rolling hills.
Among the first settlers was John Kennedy and his wife Sarah Britton,
Sam and James McKnight, John Archibald Young [Y1] and his wife Nancy
Smith, Joe Jarmin, Nicholas Holley, and Odem Hightower and his daughter
Hardy. Hardy High-tower built the first mill on Bradshaw. There
were many others, including Archibald Smith, some of his brothers
and sisters and his father Buckner Smith.
the above mentioned early settlers, John Kennedy and wife Sarah
Britton came to Bradshaw in 1808-1809 and were the parents-in-law
of Nancy Young [Y3b]; probably James McKnight was the father-in-law
of Mary E Young [Y1c6]; John Archibald Young [Y1] and Nancy Smith
both came from Spartanburg Co SC in 1809; Buckner Smith was the
father of the above Nancy Smith who married John Archibald Young
[Y1], and was the father of Archibald Smith who lived next door
to John Archibald Young [Y1]; Joel Jarmin came in 1808; Nicholas
Holley Sr came from Spartanburg Co in 1809 and was the grandfather
of Nicholas J Holley [Y4a3] below; and Odem Hightower came from
Spartanburg Co in the winter of 1807-1808; Odem's daughter Hardy
came the following year.
a century ago, directly across the road from where Bradshaw Church
sits today, there was a very small, one room log church erected
in 1811, known as the Center Point Methodist Church. It was named
because of its early origin and this was thought to be more centrally
located for all people of the Bradshaw community. It is about two
miles southeast of Beech Hill Cemetery and downstream along Bradshaw
Creek. One of the early Harwell settlers donated the plot of land
for this church. When the church doors were closed and no longer
used, the people of the Bradshaw community bought the log building,
opened its doors and with only seven members, Bradshaw Baptist Church
was born in the late 1840s. The seven members were Nicholas Holley
and his wife, Nick Burns and wife, Allen Williams and wife, and
a Mrs ____ Redd. Nicholas J Holley [Y4a3] (born in 1824 at Brad-shaw),
whose wife was Margaret S ____, were two of these founders. (Of
all the Young descen-dants in Giles Co, the Holley descendants of
Mary T Young [Y4a] have lived at Bradshaw longer than any others.)
Some of these founders gave new land for another church after the
little church burned. This land also became Center Point Cemetery.
1856 the county budgeted $275,000 to build a section of the Nashville
& Decatur railroad from Columbia to the AL line. In 1909 the
railroad began a new line between Nashville and Decatur, and it
was completed in 1915; the Bradshaw portion was finished in 1914.
It went by the Bradshaw church Cemetery and had a depot where Frankewing
is now; Frankewing was named after Frank Ewing, a political friend
of the railroad officials. There are no stops along this line today,
but years ago Frank-ewing at the south edge of Bradshaw and Diana
at the north edge were even big enough for trains to stop. With
the rise of Frankewing (population 100 within town itself around
1950, and 400 or so within three miles of town), began the demise
of Bradshaw as a farming community in its own right. Bradshaw was
an area of farm families and not an actual town.
Mount Zion Methodist church was organized in 1817 (which was the
beginning of the future Frankewing), just eight years after Giles
Co was chartered.
original Zion Methodist Church, a one-room log building, was erected
in 1811 on a plot of ground given by "Chip" Harwell. Since then,
another church was built in 1817. In the nearby Cemetery lie many
of the oldest families, mem-bers of this church: Harwell, Sherrell,
little is known of the early history of the first school called
Bradshaw, but by 1870 there were three one-room schools in the community.
Bradshaw proper, Diana, and Frankewing had one and two room schools;
Bradshaw's one room school house, with grades through the twelfth
year, was at Beech Hill, a short distance west along the road from
the Baptist Church. Those students from the Diana and Frankewing
schools who wanted to continue through the twelfth grade would transfer
to the Beech Hill school after the eighth grade. There were 250
to 300 students in school at Beech Hill in the 1960s. These small
schools are now gone; the students now attend larger consolidated
Co schools. The children today can't possibly realize how school
was a generation ago, the students barefoot, their lunches in brown
paper sacks, and carrying water in a bucket for the classroom when
the hand pump went dry.
was here, at Beech Hill close to Bradshaw Creek, where John Archibald
Young [Y1] settled in 1809, built a permanent home between 1814
and 1816, and lived the remainder of his life. Highway 65 running
north to within eight miles of Columbia was constructed in the 1960s
and runs between John Young's old homestead and Beech Hill Cemetery
where so many of the Young family members are now resting. When
John's brothers Joseph Young [Y3] and Thomas Young [Y4] also settled
nearby is not known, but it wasn't too much later. John's brother-in-law
Archibald Smith moved next door to John about 1812, coming from
Spartanburg Co where the Young brothers were born and grew up. (They
were actually born in 96 District, from which Spartanburg Co was
it is almost impossible to tell the exact locations of the pre-20th
Century countryside farm houses, and since old Bradshaw was the
farm area along the branches of Bradshaw Creek (much of the center
of District 10), it is therefore assumed within these pages that
all of the center
of district 10 is Bradshaw. Actually, the resi-dents today call
Bradshaw the area where Little Bradshaw Creek, which runs by Beech
Hill, meets Bradshaw Creek. (56, N,GE, GY,MA,1z, 15yzi)
is a small quiet town in Giles Co's civil district 10, on the eastern
side of the county, and is at the southern end of Civil District
10. The Mt Zion Methodist Church is here, and behind the church
is Mt Zion Cemetery, which is still in use. (Do not confuse Mt Zion
Cemetery with New Zion Cemetery located at New Zion Baptist Church
on Highway 31A, which runs northeast from Pulaski to Cornersville.)
See Bradshaw above. (MA,N)
County lies in the center of TN, just north of the AL border,
west of Lincoln, southwest of Marshall, south of Maury, and east
of Lawrence Counties. The county is green and hilly, with numerous
streams and creeks running throughout, and a population of about
33,000 in 1900. Pulaski, with a population of 2,500 in 1880, 4,000
in 1900, and 6,000 in 1940 is the county seat and was established
in the center of the county in 1811.
the 18th Century, before the settlers from the east moved in, the
terrain was overrun with dense cane and wild animals, and five or
six Indian tribes who all claimed the right to hunt in this territory.
By the summer of 1805, the only Indians, by a treaty among themselves,
who claimed rights to what was to become Giles Co were the Chickasaw.
They had the south and west part of the future Giles Co until an
1816 treaty with the White men.
Maury Co was established in November 1807, the area of the future
Giles Co was considered to be part of Williamson Co. Deeds of this
pre-1808 era are to be found in the courts of Williamson Co, if
they exist at all. For two years after the formation of Maury Co,
the pre-1810 Giles Co records may be in the Maury Co courts. On
14 November 1809 Giles Co was established by an act of the State
Legislature. Nearly half of the new county lay in Chickasaw territory
until September 1816.
first permanent settlement in what was to become Giles Co was made
near the present towns of Elkton and Prospect in 1805. Appar-ently
the only Young families who very early settled in the southern portion
of the county was Ephraim A Young [Y8], but not until after 1820,
and after the Indians had given up their land to the White settlers
in 1816. His sister Rebecca Young and her husband Major John William
Kyle had settled in the area around 1807. The early pioneers who
settled in the northeast and east side of Giles Co are as follows-
In the Brick Church area between 1808 and 1810: John Dabney Sr,
Robert Gordon and sons Thomas K and John, Joseph McDonald (who married
Elizabeth Gordon, son of Robert Gordon), Richard McGhee (McKee?),
the widow Clark and her sons, John Haynes and his son James S, John
Jones, Sam Jones, Robert Alsop, Jacob Jarmin, old
John McCanless and his sons, a Mr Nation and children,
Lane Sr, Thomas Lane Esquire, William Henderson and his brother
John Henderson, Jonathan Andrews, and the families of Frazier, Tungett,
and Samuel; In the Bradshaw Creek area in 1808 and 1809: Odem Hightower
and his daughter Hardy, John Kennedy and his wife Sarah Britton,
John Elliff, Joel Jarmin, James McKnight, Samuel
Young [Y1]and his wife Nancy Smith, and Nicholas Holley Sr; In the
northeast corner of the county from 1810 to 1812: Archibald E Young
and his wife Sarah Powell and most of their children, Ambrose Yarbrough,
and Shands Golightly. (55, 56, 58, 66,15zi)
County is three counties west of Giles Co. Upon the end of
the Civil War in 1865, many TN families were moving to AR and TX,
and often MO; those who had the means to make the trip went to TX.
The Old Stage Road leading east and west across the center of Hardin
Co was the one used by the travelers from Giles Co, often by wagon
in order to take their belongings. The ferry operators at Savannah
had to register or mark the wagons to get them across the Savannah
River at the proper time; first come were first served.
covered wagons drawn by horses and mules, even more frequently by
oxen, were seen hourly going west. Some of the time it was the eldest
son who would go ahead to determine whether the whole family should
also make the trip, but most of the time the entire family went
along. The mother and her smaller children often walked so that
the slow oxen could progress more rapidly. An ox team made from
fifteen to twenty miles each day.
travel continued, and in 1866 more wagons were seen than the previous
year. Travel continued until about 1868, but then the families began
to return; they had gone to AR and learned the hard way that the
new land was not as rich as in TN, nor was the water as abundant,
or else there was so much water that their crops could not survive.
Many of these travelers, having seen Hardin Co on their way westward,
settled there; between the 1860s and the twentieth century there
were many descendants of the Bradshaw Young families who made Savannah
and the rest of Hardin Co their home. (See the East families.)
generation later, Hill, Ellis, Red River, and other northeast TX
Counties served to be the choice place in which to settle; Giles
and Hardin descen-dants are there now.
Savannah Cemetery, located just outside the town of Savannah in
Hardin Co, has been poorly maintained over the years and many of
the stones have been discarded into a nearby ravine; many people
buried there now have no head stones. It was not until the early
1980s before any effective effort was made (by the Hardin Co Historical
Society) to preserve the records contained on the Hardin Co Cemetery
gravestones. (NB, 51,58)
Co TN is at the northeast corner of Giles Co, The southwest
corner of Marshall Co now contains Corners-ville and Robertson Fork.
These two communities used to be part of the northeast corner of
Giles Co’s Civil District 17, but about 1873 this portion
of district 17 was made a part of Marshall Co. Prior to this transfer,
Cornersville was just inside Giles Co, almost at the Marshall Co
border, but after the transfer, Robertson Fork then was just inside
Marshall Co, and the Cemetery belonging to the Robertson Fork Church
of Christ wound up divided by the new county line.
County SC has many early records of Alex-ander, Andrew, Benjamin,
Elizabeth, James, Samuel, William, and Sewel & Vachael Young.
In the Spartan Militia of 96 District SC were Luel (Sewel?) and
Vachill Young from June to Decem-ber 1780 serving in Major Zachariah
Gibbs' Regiment; there was a Captain William Young in this same
regiment. The Sewel and Vachael names are quite rare, so these two
men must be the same. This would be a possible clue as to which
area some of the Spartanburg Co Youngs may have come from prior
to SC. Other Rowan Co records of the 1763-1774 period name: John
Mitchell and Vachael Young in a 1768 lawsuit; Sewel Young was appointed
instead of William Divers for public service; many Brandon names
(see Major Thomas Young). From the 1775-1789 period the names Edward
Smith and William Young appear, and also a William Young Sr. From
1762-1772 deed records William Young and wife Elizabeth sold land
to Samuel Freeman in 1767; Charles McKnight of Mecklenburg Co, NC
gave power of attorney to Samuel Young and also sold Samuel many
hundreds of acres, witnessed by Thomas McKee (see William Young
of the Enoree River).
would appear that the Young men named here lived in Rowan Co from
the 1760s, except when they were in SC during the Revolution, but
had ties with men who had the same family names as others who were
found in nearby Spartanburg and Union Counties SC after 1785. (71,NY)
Carolina was originally part of a land grant to Sir Robert
Heath, and was part of a strip of land which included both of the
present Carolina states and extended to the Pacific Ocean; this
strip was named the Province of Carolina (land of Charles). The
spelling was changed to Carolina in 1663. In 1711 the Carolina Colony
was split into the North and SC Colonies. TN was a county of NC.
SC was accepted as a state in 1788, but more than a century before,
in 1683, the first three counties were established: Colleton, Berkeley,
and Craven. Eventually all three counties were discontinued; the
present Berkeley Co is not derived from the original of the same
name. In 1769 the province of SC was divided into the seven judicial
districts of Beaufort, Camden, Charleston, Cheraws, Georgetown,
Orangeburg, and Ninety-Six. By the time of the Revolution, the Piedmont
had nearly half of the White population of about 60,000 in the Colony.
In 1795 Pinckney and Washington Districts were established. Three
years later the nine districts were divided into twenty-four. From
Ninety-Six District, Abbeville, Edgefield, Newberry, Laurens, and
Spartanburg Districts were formed. And from Pinckney District, Union
and York Districts were formed.
District was in the original Berkeley Co, and Spartanburg Co was
formed from Ninety-Six District in 1785. The "District" name was
commonly used long after many of these districts became counties,
even after the 1868 state consti-tution changed 30 districts to
were some of the earliest pioneers in the Piedmont districts which
became Anderson, Edgefield, Greenville, Laurens, Newberry, Spartan-burg,
Saluda, and Union Counties. Bush River (in Laurens Co) and Cane
Creek (in Union Co) were two of the larger meeting houses in the
Piedmont during the 1770-1822 years; both meeting houses were named
after the streams on which they were located. Cane Creek, also called
the Tyger River, was established in 1775 as a branch of the Bush
River meeting house.
from PA and down the Shen-andoah spilled over into the Piedmont
of VA and the Carolinas in the early and middle 18th Century, populating
that region with Presby-terians and German Moravians who worked
without slaves and resented control of the assemblies by slave-holding
Anglican planters and merchants of the coastal areas. (62,70, GE,JE)
County is in the Piedmont in the northwest part of the state,
bordered on the north by NC. Settlements in this portion of the
state began in the 1730s, but most of the early settlers arrived
from 1745 to the 1760s, coming from the Rhine section of Germany,
the New England Colonies, and the Ulster section of Ireland. The
Scotch-Irish immigrants came about 1761.
the early boundaries of Spartanburg and Union Counties there were
three streams of importance to the early Young families, all flowing
in an easterly direction and tying into the Broad River: Pacolet
River in the north part of both counties; Tyger River, lying about
ten miles above the southern boundaries of both counties and twenty-five
miles below and paralleling Pacolet River; Enoree River, the southern
boundary of Spartanburg and Union Counties, separating both counties
from Laurens and Newberry Counties to the south. All three rivers
are tributaries of the much larger Broad River, the eastern boundary
of Union Co. Tyger River was also called Cane Creek in the 18th
were four separate Young families in these two counties: the Youngs
of Pacolet River in northern Spartanburg Co, many of whom moved
to Greenville Co; the Youngs of Tyger River at the eastern edge
of Spartanburg Co, most of whom moved to Giles, Maury, and Lincoln
Counties in TN; the Young family who lived along Enoree River near
the point where Spartanburg and Union Counties join; and the Youngs
of Union Co.
was an economic depression in SC in 1808 which must have reached
even the inde-pendent Up Country settlers. Thus, many of the farm
families from the Up Country moved west to the better farmland of
decisive battles of the Revolutionary War took place in the area:
Kings Mountain on 7 October 1780 in northeast of York Co, roughly
fifty miles north of the town of Union; and Cowpens on 17 January
1781, about fifteen miles northeast of the town of Spartanburg.
These two battles turned the tide of the war in the South. (GE,
JE, 62, 66,70)
Spartanburg Co SC
SC 1810 Map
Open Giles Co TN Area Map.
Giles Co TN Civil Districts
Open Lincoln Co TN Civil Districts
TN Census Maps 1791-1880.
MO Counties Map.
Co MO Map.
Bio #2 (First Biography
Page), or Go To Biography #03,
The MEMOIR Of MAJOR Thomas YOUNG,
or Source Codes.