Wilson Zaccheus Wilson, son of Robert Wilson (1690 - 1745) and Rachael Pritlowe (1692 - 1727), was born in 1713 in Chester Co PA. He married Martha Armstrong about 1729 in PA. Martha was born in Ireland in 1708, and died in Mecklenburg Co NC after 1758. Zaccheus died in Oglethorpe Co GA in 1796. They had nine known children-
a. Robert Wilson was born in 1730 in PA. He married Eleanor Carothers at Newville, Cumberland Co PA. She was born in Lancaster Co PA in 1737, daughter of James Carothers, and died in Mecklenburg Co NC in 1810. Robert died at Steele Creek, Mecklenburg Co on 14 December 1793. After one child was born in PA, Robert and Eleanor came south from PA to NC about 1750, and was probably the first or second of his brothers to move to NC. They moved to newly created Anson Co NC about 1750, in the part of the county which became Mecklenburg Co in 1762. Robert and Eleanor had ten to twelve children, all but the eldest were born in NC-
1. Joseph Wilson, b 1749, died in 1833 in Williamson Co TN. He married Sarah White from VA about 1774, She was born in 1752 and died in Sumner Co in 1833. They had at least thirteen children, born in Mecklenburg Co NC and in Sumner Co TN-
a. Martha Wilson, b abt 1775 in Mecklenburg Co.
b. Ellen Wilson, b abt 1780 in Mecklenburg Co.
c. Sarah Elmira Wilson, b abt 1782 in Summer,.
d. Thomas Wilson, b 1 Jan 1783 in Mecklenburg Co.
e. Zaccheus Wilson, b abt 1784 in Sumner Co.
f. James T Wilson, b 1788 in Sumner Co.
g. David Wilson, b abt 1789 in Mecklenburg Co.
h. Moses Wilson, b 1790 (W)
i. Montillion Wilson, b 1791 in Sumner Co.
j. Eleanor Wilson, b 1792 in Sumner Co.
k. Elizabeth Wilson, b 1794 in Sumner Co.
m. Anne Wilson, b 1795 in Sumner Co.
n. Fanny Wilson, b 1800 in Sumner Co. (W)
2. Aaron Wilson, b 1751, married Hannah Martin from Marshall Co TN. Aaron died in 1833 in Bedford Co TN.
3. John H Wilson, b 1753, married Susannah Boone in Mecklenburg Co in 1774, and died in 1838 in Marshall Co TN. They had seven children.
4. James Wilson, b 1757, died in Williamson Co TN in 1843. He married Sarah Ogilvie in 1784 and they had five children born in Mecklenburg Co and in GA. Sarah was born in 1760 and died in 1843.
5. Robert Wilson, b 1760, died in 1819 in Williamson Co TN. He married Jane McDowell in 1783 in Mecklenburg Co. She was born in 1766 in York Co SC and died in 1853 in Rutherford Co TN. They had nine children born in Mecklenburg Co, in GA, and in Williamson Co & Rutherford Counties TN.
6. Samuel Wilson, b 1762, died in Williamson Co TN in 1812. He married Martha Clark in 1788 in Williamson Co. She was born in Mecklenburg Co in 1771 and died in Williamson Co in 1844. They had ten children born in Mecklenburg Co and in Williamson Co. (W)
7. Thomas Wilson, b 1763, died in 1854 in Williamson Co TN. He married Annie Miller and they had six children.
8. Zaccheus Wilson, b 1765, died at Henderson, Williamson Co TN on 21 October 1842 and was buried in Wilson family cemetery on the Robert E Wilson farm one-half mile southeast of Allisona, Williamson Co and directly north of the center of the northern border of Marshall Co, in the center of TN. This would be about 25 miles south of the center of Nashville. “Circuit Court Minute Book 12, page 207: March 10, 1847. Nancy Wilson et al Exparte. Zacheus Wilson died in 1842 leaving a will. He left a widow Nancy Wilson and 11 children now living and the descendants of three of the children who are now deceased. Zacheus left a tract of land containing 247 acres bounded on the east by Cowden McCord, north by John Scales' land, west by Samuel Brown, south by Thomas Wilson. Nancy is willing to take a sum of money for her dower instead of the land.”
Zaccheus married Nancy Alsey Graham in 1782, and married Nancy Long in 1816. Ms Graham was born in Rowan Co NC in 1762 and died in Pontotoc Co MS in 1871. Ms Long was born in 1780, daughter of John Long, and died in Pontotoc Co MS after 1857. In the 1850 census there, she was age 70 and lived with her son Hugh. Between the two woman, Zaccheus had sixteen children-
a. Mary C Wilson, b 1784, probably in NC, married Holcomb B Harvey.
b. A E Wilson (son), b 1792, probably in NC.
c. Elizabeth Wilson, b 12 Oct 1795 in Williamson Co TN, died 3 October 1844 at Chapel Hill, Marshall Co TN. She married Robert Ramsey in Williamson Co on 7 February 1811 and had twelve children.
d. Robert Wilson, b 1796 in Williamson Co TN, died in 1842. He married Sarah Russell and they had two sons born in the 1820s in Bedford Co TN.
e. James Wilson, b 8 Nov 1801, died 19 December 1868 in Knox Co TN.
f. David R Wilson, b 1802 in Williamson Co TN, died in 1884. He married Sarah _____ and they had three or more children born between 1835 and 1847.
g. Zaccheus Wilson, b abt 1804 in Williamson Co TN, died 6 December 1843 in Mexico. He married Ann Forstan in Greene Co AL on 9 January 1926, had a son, then he married Nancy White on 1 September 1831 in Williamson Co TN.
h. Matthew James Wilson, b 8 Mar 1805 in Williamson Co TN, and died 6 July 1887 in Williamson Co. He married Elizabeth Russell in Williamson Co on 28 November 1832. They had six children before she died on 5 April 1850 in Williamson Co, then Matthew married Melissa Ann Wilson there on 27 February 1851 and they had five children. Melissa Ann was a born 25 February 1817 in Williamson Co, daughter of Josiah Wilson (born 1787 NC, son of Samuel Wilson and Martha Clark) and Rexina Wilson. Melissa’s first marriage was with Samuel Scales on 3 April 1838 with whom she had two children before Mr Scales died in 1842.
i. Margaret W Wilson, b abt 1806 in TN, married Robert W MItchell on 20 December 1827 in Williamson Co.
j. James G Wilson, b abt 1809 in Williamson Co TN, married Ms Mariah _____.
k. Thomas P Wilson, b 1810 in Williamson Co TN.
m. John L Wilson, b 6 Jul 1818 in Williamson Co TN, died in December 1848 in Williamson Co.
n. Simeon Elliot Wilson, b abt 1820 in Williamson Co TN, married Louisa Jane Allenon 1 October 1844 in Marshall Co. They had nine children between 1845 and 1863.
p. Jane S Wilson, b abt 1822 in Williamson Co TN, died in 1857. She married Milton F Whitehead in Williamson Co on 13 September 1840 and they had five children between 1841 and 1849.
q. William S Wilson, b abt 1824 in Williamson Co TN, died in 1880 in TX. He married Mary Williams on 29 July 1844 in Marshall Co. Mary died in 1850 in Pontotoc Co MS with the birth of her second daughter.
r. Hugh Columbus Wilson, b 21 Jan 1826 in Williamson Co TN, died in Lee Co TX on 20 August 1895. He married Nancy Elizabeth Williams on 3 February 1848 in Itawamba Co MS. (W,PH)
9. Josiah Wilson, b 1766, died in 1840 in Marshall Co TN. He married Mary Allen from NC. She was born in 1769 and died about 1850 in Marshall Co. They had nine children born in Williamson Co and in Marshall Co TN.
10. Moses Wilson, b 1769, died in Marshall Co TN in 1850.
11. Jonah Wilson, b 1774
12. Rachel Wilson, b 1776 (W,101)
b. Samuel Wilson was born in 1732 in Lancaster Co PA. He married twice; the first wife was Elizabeth Knox, daughter of Captain Patrick Knox, and the second wife was Sarah Moore. Samuel died in Sumner Co TN in 1814. The mother of each of the known children is not known, but probably the first wife had just two children; all children were born in Mecklenburg Co NC-
1. James Wilson, b 1755
2. Captain David Wilson, b abt 1759 and lived in Mecklenburg Co NC into the 1820s, was a son of Samuel Wilson (Sr). He married Mrs Sallie (White) McConnell in Rowan County NC about 1772, then came into TN after his uncle Major David Carroll Wilson and Jane Rowan had settled there. They had six children-
a. David Wilson, b in Mecklenburg Co NC in 1785. He lived in Sumner Co TN from about 1800 and married Jinny Carothers on 9 May 1804 at Gallatin, Sumner Co; James Carothers was the bondsman. She was born at Rocky River, Mecklenburg Co NC on 14 December 1777, daughter of Robert Carothers and Margaret White, and died 13 October 1845 at Petersburg, Marshall Co TN. David died in 1859 at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX. They had eleven children, most born at Gallatin, Sumner Co TN-
b. Pleasant Wilson, b 1805, married Sarah Stone in Sumner Co on 26 December 1826; the bondsman was Richard A Tompkins. Sarah was born 21 December 1802 in Jackson Co TN, daughter of Stephen Stone and Mary Loving, and died in 1850 in Collin Co TX. After she died, Pleasant then married Rebecca Nowland in Collin Co on 25 January 1854. Rebecca was born in Collin Co in 1833, and died 9 April 1859 in TX. Pleasant died at Aubrey, Denton Co TX in 1860. He had four daughters with Sarah, and two more children with Rebecca-*
1. Jane Wilson, b 1825 in Sumner Co TN, married Robert House and was a widow by 1850. She then lived with her widowed father in Collin Cop TX. Jane had two children, both born in TN but grew up in TX-*
a. Robert House, b 1842 (340n)
b. Sarah A House, b 1844 (340n) (W,340n)
2. Mary G Wilson, b 1828 in Sumner Co TN, married William H Herron in Collin Co TX on 24 December 1850. (W,340n)
3. Sarah A Wilson, b 1830 in Sumner Co TN, married William J Roberts on 21 June 1856 in Collin Co TX. He was born in Wilson Co TN on 12 December 1829, son of John Roberts and Hannah Foster, and died 8 May 1905 at Hess, Jackson Co OK. Sarah died at Hess in 1919. They had eight children, all born in TX. (W,340n)
4. Mary J Wilson, b abt 1838 in Sumner Co TN, died by 1850. (W)
5. Susan J Wilson, b abt 1854 in TX. (W,340q)
6. Samuel H Wilson, b abt 1856 in Collin Co TX. (W,340q) (W,337m,340nq)
c. Zaccheus Wilson, b 1805. There are two marriages in Sumner Co which ccould be for Zaccheus: the first on 6 November 1824 to Keziah Stone, and another on 15 January 1829 to Mary Clark. The bondsman for the first marriage was James T Wilson, and the bondsman for the second was Addison Wilson [R2c5c]. (W,337m)
d. Robert Wilson, b 1807, married Louisa Null in Sumner Co on 3 December 1828, and died in 1843. (W)
e. Elizabeth Wilson, b 1810, died 11 November 1896 at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX. She married Alexander Carruth on 25 June 1829 in Sumner Co. He was born in February 1800 at Lebanon, Wilson Co TN, son of Alexander Craighead Carruth and Susan Simms, and died in June 1858 at Gunter, Grayson Co TX. They had ten children; all but the last were born in TX-*
1. James Eldridge Carruth, b 25 Jul 1830 in Wilson Co. (W)
2. John Thomas Carruth, b 30 Mar 1832 in Wilson Co. (W)
3. Susan J Carruth, b 1834 in Wilson Co. (W)
4. Harriet Carruth, b 12 Mar 1837 in Wilson Co. (W)
5. Martha L Carruth, b abt 1839 in Wilson Co. (W)
6. David A Carruth, b abt 1842 in Wilson Co. (W)
7. Alvira Carruth, b abt 1846 in Collin Co. (W)
8. Elizabeth Carruth, b abt 1846 in Collin Co. (W)
9. Robert T Carruth, b 21 Jun 1850 in Collin Co. (W)
10. Adelaide Kitty Carruth, b abt 1856 in TN. (W) (W)
f. William Carothers Wilson, b 5 Dec 1810, married Margaret Null on 11 November 1827. She was born in 1812 and died in 1897. They had six children-*
1. William Carothers Wilson, b abt 1832 (W)
2. Martha A Wilson, b abt 1834 in TN, married William A Null on 24 August 1860 in Grayson Co TX. He was the widower of Martha’s aunt Margaret Amanda Wilson. William was born in TN in 1810, son of Jacob Null and Elizabeth Graham, and died 29 October 1868 in Grayson. Martha and William had three children, all born in TX-*
a. William A Null, b 28 Dec 1863 (W)
b. Mark Null, b 1864 (W)
c. Viola Null, b 29 Jun 1866 (W) (W)
3. Margaret Jane Wilson, b 9 Jan 1840 in TN. (W)
4. William H Wilson, b abt 1843 (W)
5. W S Wilson, b abt 1848 (W)
6. J A Wilson, b abt 1849 in TX. (W) (W)
g. James R Wilson, b 18 Mar 1814. He married Martha Ann _____ (Martin?) in Sumner Co about 1835. She was born in 1816 in SC, and died 16 August 1873 at Weston, Collin Co TX at “age 57.” She was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. James then married Verlinda Norfleet in Collin Co on 12 October 1873. She was born in 1815 in KY. James died at Weston on 28 March 1891 and was buried next to Martha. He and Martha had three children-*
1. Elizabeth G Wilson, b 1836 in TN, lived in Collin Co TX in 1850. She married William J Roberts about 1858, and in 1860 lived next door to her uncles Leonidas Wilson [R2c7j] and Pleasant Wilson [R2c7a]. In 1870 she lived two doors from her sister Mary in Collin Co. Elizabeth died at Hess, Jackson Co OK after 1920. William was born in TN in 1830 and died 8 May 1905 at Hess. They had a son-*
a. John J Roberts, b 1859 (340qr)
b. George Roberts, b 1862 (340r)
c. Ida Roberts, b 1865 (340r)
d. Robert Roberts, b 1867 (340r) (W,340nqr)
2. William B Wilson, b 13 Mar 1839 in Sumner Co TN, lived in TX, and died at Orr, Love Co OK in March 1915. He married Mary Huff in Collin Co on 7 December 1858. She was born 15 June 1840 in Grayson Co VA, daughter of Matthew B Huff and Theodota Day, and died about 1899 at Griever Canyon, Woods Co OK. In 1870 Mary and her three eldest children lived with William’s parents in Collin Co. William B and Mary had seven children, all born in TX-*
a. William David Wilson, b 29 Sep 1862 in Collin Co. (W,340r)
b. James Ervin Wilson, b 17 Mar 1866 in Collin Co. (W,340r)
c. Laura May Wilson, b 10 May 1869 in Collin Co. (W,340r)
d. Doris Belle Wilson, b 5 Jun 1871 (W)
e. Charles B Wilson, b 6 Apr 1876 at Denton, Denton Co. (W)
f. Rose Lee Wilson, b 11 Jun 1879 in TX. (W)
g. Mary Lillian Wilson, b 18 Feb 1882 in TX. (W) (W,340n)
3. Mary C Wilson, b Dec 1841 in Sumner Co. She married Jacob S Helms about 1858 and in 1860 lived next door to her parents. Jacob was born in VA in January 1836. Mary died 9 June 1918 in AL. They had two children, both in Collin Co TX-*
a. George W Helms, b Jan 1860, died 5 November 1869 and was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. (340qc)
b. Ellen Helms, b 1862, married Jake Bush by 1880, and may have married Walter Tyler. (W,340r)
In 1870 Mary’s sister Elizabeth lived two doors away. (W,340nqrsu) (W,340nqrc)
h. Sarah Jane Wilson, b 1816, died in 1859 at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX. She married Joseph House in Carroll Co TN on 22 November 1838. He was born in Sumner Co in 1814, son of John House and Mary Inge, and died in 1849. (W)
i. Jeremiah Henry Wilson, b 24 Oct 1817, married Elizabeth White in Sumner Co on 16 March 1830. In 1840 they still lived in Sumner Co. Jerry died at Aubrey, Denton Co TX. They had one son-*
1. son Wilson, b 1830s in Sumner Co TN. (337k) (W,337mk)
j. David Carroll Wilson, b Mar 1819, died at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX on 11 March 1886. He married Mary Ann Poteet in Sumner Co on 6 January 1841. The bondsman was Samuel K Henderson. Mary was born in Sumner Co on 18 March 1815, and died 9 April 1871 in Grayson Co TX. They had five children-*
1. George Washington Wilson, b 1841 in Sumner Co TN. (W,340q)
2. Isabella Jane Wilson, b 27 Jan 1843 in Carroll Co TN. (W,340q)
3. Sarah Louise Wilson, b abt 1845 in Carroll Co TN. (W,340q)
4. Amanda Ann Wilson, b 7 Jan 1848 in Carroll Co TN. (W,340q)
5. Priscilla Angeline Wilson, b 20 Dec 1849 at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX. (W,340q) (W,337m,340q)
k. Margaret Amanda Wilson, b abt 1824, married William A Null in Carroll Co TN on 20 March 1845. He was born in 1810 in TN, son of Jacob Null and Elizabeth Graham, and died 29 October 1868 in Grayson Co TX. Margaret died in Grayson Co in 1859. After she died, William married Margaret’s niece, Martha A Wilson [R2c7d1] in Grayson Co on 24 August 1860 and had three more children. With Margaret he had six, all born in Carroll Co TN-*
1. Martha Jane Null, b abt 1846 (W)
2. Penelope Tennessee Null, b 11 Dec 1847 (W)
3. Robert T Null, b Dec 1849 (W)
4. David F Null, b 14 Dec 1852 (W)
5. Susan L Null, b 22 Jan 1854 (W)
6. Victoria E Null, b 22 Oct 1855 (W) (W)
m. Leonidas “Lee” Wilson, b 30 Jul 1826, married Ann Matilda Naugle at Lebanon, Wilson Co TN on 7 October 1847. Ann was born 16 December 1832 in PA, daughter of Jacob J Naugle and Frances McNeil, and died 22 October 1856 at Weston, Collin Co TX. She was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co next to graves of some of her children. Lee then married Sarah A _____ by 1859 and they lived next door to Lee’s eldest brother Pleasant Wilson in Collin Co. Sarah was born in TN on 6 December 1829 and died 22 April 1901. Lee died at Weston on 19 June 1895. Both are buried together in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. Lee and Ann had four children, and with Sarah he had two children. All were born at Weston, Collin Co TX-*
1. Margaret Amanda Wilson, b 17 Oct 1850 (W,340q)
2. Lucretia Jane Wilson, b 15 Sep 1852 (W,340q)
3. David J Wilson, b 12 Nov 1854, died 15 October 1857 and was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. (340c)
4. Matilda A Wilson, b 17 Oct 1856, died 20 October 1861 and was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. (340qc)
5. Mary S Wilson, b May 1859 (W,340q)
6. William Wilson, b 16 Feb 1861, died three days later and was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. (340c)
7. Betty C Wilson, b 1 Sep 1870, died 8 November 1884 and was buried in Chambersville Cemetery in Collin Co. (340c) (W,340qc)
n. Alexander Wilson, b 25 Jul 1829, died 28 June 1885 at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX. He married Talitha Fox at Van Alstyne on 22 August 1852. She was born 14 December 1835 at Pond Creek, Hopkins Co KY, daughter of Ulysses Fox and Delilah Wyatt, and died 1 September 1920 at Wellington, Hollingsworth Co TX. Alex and Talitha had twelve children, all born at Van Alstyne, Grayson Co TX-*
1. Sam Houston Wilson, b 12 Jul 1853 (W)
2. Delilah Jane Wilson, b 28 Aug 1855 (W)
3. David Preston Wilson, b 29 Oct 1857 (W)
4. Rebecca Ellen Wilson, b 18 Mar 1860 (W)
5. Robert Price Wilson, b 24 Mar 1862 (W)
6. Uel Alexander Wilson, b 22 Nov 1864 (W)
7. Mary Elizabeth Wilson, b 17 Jun 1867 (W)
8. James Pleasant Wilson, b 5 Jul 1869 (W)
9. Martha Mattie Wilson, b 29 Mar 1872 (W)
10. Josie Malissa Wilson, b 8 Jun 1874 (W)
11. Wallace Tilatha Wilson, b 5 Jun 1876 (W)
12. Johnny Wilson, b 17 May 1878 (W) (W) (W,337m)
3. John Wilson, b 1765, married Ann Meek. She was born in 1762 in Mecklenburg Co, daughter of Adam Meek and Elizabeth Miller, and died in 1840 in Marshall Co TN. They had a son Ascha Wilson.
4. Moses Wilson, b 11 Oct 1766, died 11 August 1843 in Carroll Co GA. Moses married Mary Barbara Costner and they had a son Moses, born in NC in 1801 and died in Carroll Co GA in 1865. (W,101)
5. Zaccheus Wilson, b abt 1768, married Elizabeth Wilson [R2c4], daughter of David Carroll Wilson and Jean Rowan. (Much David Wilson's info from Wm D Wright.)
c. Zaccheus Wilson was born in 1733 in Lancaster Co PA where Newville, Cumberland Co is today. Zaccheus grew up in PA. He married Elizabeth Congor about 1765 in Rowan Co NC, fought in the War of Revolution against England, and lived in Mecklenburg Co NC. He moved to Washington Co NC about 1779, in the area which became Sumner Co NC in 1786 (the state of TN wasn’t begun until 1796). Zaccheus was one of the first settlers of the Gallatin area of Sumner Co TN. He died in Sumner Co TN in 1824 and was buried near Gallatin. Elizabeth Congor was born in 1742 at Woodbridge, Middlesex Co NJ and died in 1796 in Rowan Co NC. They had six children, all but the youngest born in NC-
1. Mary Wilson, b 1767, died 1851 in Sumber Co TN. She married James C Wilson in 1787 in Sumner Co.
2. Isaac Wilson, b 1768, married Anne McCord and died in 1807. They had a son named Isaac Wilson.
3. James Wilson, b 1773, died in 1836.
4. Jonathan Wilson, b 1773, died in 1857 in Sumner Co TN. He married Narcissa Wilson in 1795 in Sumner Co. She was born in 1779 in Mecklenburg Co, daughter of David Carroll Wilson and Jean Rowan [R2c], and died in Sumner Co in 1824. Jonathan then married Elizabeth Wallace in 1831. She was born in Mecklenburg Co in 1777 and died in Sumner Co in 1854. Jonathan had five children with Narcissa, and probably none with Elizabeth.
5. Stephen Wilson, b 1778, died in 1849. He married Mary McElwrath in Sumner Co in 1811. She was born in 1791 in Cabarrus Co NC and died in 1848 in Sumner Co. They had three children born in Sumner Co.
6. Melissa Wilson, b in Sumner Co TN. She married Joseph Bradner Wallace in Sumner Co in 1818. He was born in 1795 in Sumner Co and died there in 1885. Melissa died in Marshall Co in 1854. They had a daughter Matilda Wallace, born in Marshall Co in 1825. (W,101)
d. Elizabeth Wilson was born in 1739 in Lancaster Co PA where Newville, Cumberland Co is today. She died in 1792 in the Fort White area of NC (Knox Co, where Knoxville TN is now). Elizabeth married Luke Lea in Caswell Co NC. He was born in 1739 in Spotsylvania Co VA and died in 1813 in Amite Co MS. They had nine children born in Caswell, Wilkes, and Surry Counties NC. (W)
e. David Carroll Wilson was born in 1742 in Lancaster Co PA where Newville, Cumberland Co is today. He married Jean Rowan [R2c] about 1765 in PA, either in York Co or in neighboring Cumberland Co PA, and soon after they moved to Mecklenburg Co NC where their six children were born. Jean died about 1780 and David then married Sallie White in 1781 in NC. Sallie was born about 1753 in Mecklenburg Co, and this was also her second marriage. The first was with a Mr McConnell. Jean and David had six children, probably in Mecklenburg Co, and with Sallie he had six more. Jean’s children moved to Sumner Co TN where David died in 1803. They mostly married and settled in Sumner Co, then many moved to TX. Sallie’s children probably mostly remained in NC. David was a Major and was an officer of the War of Independence. For his service received from the State of North Carolina, a track of land in Sumner Co TN, where he settled. He was a member of the Territorial Assembly in 1794, and was the Speaker of the House of Representatives. He was a magistrate of Sumner County as early as 1787. His residence was about two miles east from Gallatin. He was a valuable member of the new settlement, and took an active part in all public affairs and in the Indian wars. Wilson County was so named in his honor, although Major Wilson never lived in Wilson Co. David C Wilson’s and Jean Rowan’s children are shown under Jean’s biography.
f. John Wilson was born in 1745 in Anson Co NC, lived in Rowan Co, and died in 1804 in Carter Co TN. He perhaps married twice. The second wife was Elizabeth Harris, married in 1876 in Mecklenburg Co. She was born there in 1742 and died in Sumner Co TN in 1804. They had twelve children, born in both Mecklenburg Co NC, VA, and in Sumner Co TN-
1. James S Wilson, b 1765 in Mecklenburg Co.
2. Mary Wilson, b 1765 in Rowan Co NC.
3. Dorcas Wilson, b 1769 in Mecklenburg Co.
4. Garland Wilson, b abt 1770 in Amelia Co VA,
5. Markus Wilson, b 1771 in Mecklenburg Co.
6. Ebenezer Wilson, b 1773 in Mecklenburg Co.
7. Jenny Wilson, b 1777 in Mecklenburg Co.
8. John Wilson, b Mecklenburg Co.
9. Isabella Elizabeth Wilson, b 1782 in Mecklenburg Co.
10. Fordyce Wilson, b Sumner Co.
11. Harris S Wilson, b Sumner Co.
12. Stephen Wilson, b 1789 in Mecklenburg Co. (W,337n)
g. Mary Wilson was born in 1752 in Anson Co NC, in the part which became Mecklenburg Co in 1762. She married Robert Harris about 1769 in Mecklenburg Co. He was born in 1737 in Cabarrus Co NC, and died there in 1803. They had three children born in Mecklenburg Co. (W)
h. Martha Wilson was born in 1754 in Anson Co NC, in the part which became Mecklenburg Co in 1762. She died in Mecklenburg Co in 1843. Martha married Stephen Alexander in 1771 in Mecklenburg Co. He was born in 1749 in Mecklenburg Co and died there in 1831. They had seven children born in Mecklenburg Co and in Somerset Co MD. (W)
i. Margaret Wilson was born in 1758 in Anson Co NC, in the part which became Mecklenburg Co in 1762. Nothing else is known of her. (W)
Zacheus Wilson, born in the 1750s, lived in Marshall Co TN in 1820, and soon after moved to Henderson Co in West TN. Some of his sons (and daughters?) also moved there. There is a marriage in Sumner Co dated 24 November 1790 to Elizabeth Wilson [R2c4]. The Zacheus of this marriage was born in the 1760s, and Elizabeth Wilson was a daughter of David Carroll Wilson (Sr) and Jean Rowan. This Zacheus died in 1814 in Sumner Co. In 1820 the Zacheus Wilson in Sumner Co, husband of Sarah _____, was age 45 or older (born in 1775 or before), as was his wife, and in their home there was just one young woman, age between 16 and 26. Zacheus’ birth date is extimated to be in the 1750s since his son Samuel’s gravestone and the History of Henderson Co TN state that Zacheus was a Revolutionary soldier, and son Samuel was born in 1776. Hence, Zacheus was at least age 16 in 1776 to have fought in the Revolution, and was probably born in the 1750s to be the father of Samuel who was born in 1776. When Henderson Co in western TN was opened to settlers in the late 1810s, and became a county in 1821, there were three or more brothers who moved to the Henderson Co area in the late 1810s and early 1820s. The proof that Sarah Brevard and William Wilson [R2c3] who married in Sumner Co was the same Wilson family in Henderson Co does not agree with cemetery records. The husband of the Sarah in Henderson Co in 1830 had died soon before 1830, probably in Henderson Co since Sarah was living there in 1830, and because the history of Henderson Co states that Zacheus and his son David moved to Henderson Co in the 1820s after son Samuel had already moved there by about 1818.
Sarah’s next door neighbors in 1830 were John A Wilson and Samuel Wilson, both born in the 1790s and known to be sons of Zacheus Wilson. The Sarah in the 1830 census was born in the 1760s, and was the widow of Revolutionary soldier Zacheus. Since she had a son Zacheus born in the late 1770s, then Sarah must have been born about 1760.
In Sarah’s home in 1830 in Henderson Co were one male born in the 1800s and one female born in the 1810s (a granddaughter? or a daughter-in-law?). Son Archibald was already married and was living in his own home in Henderson Co. Arch’s next door neighbor in 1840 was Zacheus Wilson, born in the 1770s; he was probably Sarah’s son. This Zacheus Wilson was born in the 1780s, per the 1830 census, or born in the 1770s, per the 1840 census, so his birth date must have been close to 1779.
From cemetery records of Henderson Co, in the Zacheus Wilson family cemetery (there is a second, smaller, Wilson family cemetery in Henderson Co), is the grave of Samuel Wilson, Sarah’s next door neighbor in 1830. Samuel’s gravestone says “Consort of Fanny Gist / Son of Zacheus, Revolutionary Soldier / 1776 - 1843.” It would appear that Sarah was the mother of Samuel since she was old enough to be his mother, and they lived next door in 1830. From Goodspeed’s 1888 History of Tennessee, it tells of both Samuel Wilson and Dr John A Wilson who were early pioneers of Henderson Co; it did not mention Sarah’s husband by name. Samuel Wilson settled on 726 acres in what was to become Lexington, TN, with his cabin located where the United Methodist Church of the 1880s was. David Wilson and (father) Zacheus Wilson soon after 1820 joined Samuel in Henderson County and settled north of what became Wildersville. There they shared their previous experiences in local government. Another Wilson brother originally settled near what is now Sand Ridge, not finding sufficient water, then moved further west to a branch of Forked Deer River. He became the ancestor of many Wilsons in that part of the county. Samuel came to Henderson County from Wilson County, where he and his brother David, together with their father Zacheus, had helped found that county. He also obtained other land grants in 16 counties.
In 1819-1820, as soon as it became known that the Chickasaw Indians had ceded all West Tennessee lands to the United States, settlers entered newly created Henderson Co regularly. Shortly after Samuel Wilson settled at what is now Lexington, Dr. John A Wilson settled near there, becoming the first doctor and first professional man to settle in the county. He also became the first merchant, fur buyer, and county court clerk, and he operated a farm with the help of slaves. Dr Wilson trained two female slaves to serve as mid-wives. His fee for a house call was 50 cents regardless of the distance and time of day. Payments were made in anything salable, such as beaver or fox skins, beeswax, tallow, or produce.
So from the Goodspeed History of Tennessee, and from the larger of the two Wilson family cemeteries in Henderson Co, we can piece together the probable family of this Zacheus Wilson and his wife Sarah-
a. Samuel Wilson, born 1776 died in 1843 in Henderson Co TN. He had married Fanny Gist. They probably had a son David H Wilson-
1. David H Wilson, b 8 Sep 1804 in TN, and died 22 December 1884 in Henderson Co TN. His wives and descendants are buried in the Zacheus Wilson family cemetery in Henderson Co. In 1830 David lived two doors from his uncle Zacheus Wilson in Henderson Co. David married three times: Matilda _____, who was born 30 April 1809 and died 1 September 1840. She was buried next to David H; her gravestone says “Wife of David.” David then married Elizabeth Ann _____. She was born 12 November 1806 in VA and died 10 May 1853 in Henderson Co. Her gravestone says “Wife of David” and she was the wife with David in the 1850 census. David then married a third time, to Frances E _____. Her gravestone says “Feb 22, 1820 - Apr 1, 1876." David’s children, from the 1840 and 1850 census, were all born in TN; the first six were children of Matilda and the next three were children of Elizabeth-
a. Louisa Wilson, b 1828 (338jkn)
b. Asa M Wilson, b 1831 (338kn)
c. son Wilson, b 1831-1835 (338k)
d. dau Wilson, b 1831-1835 (338k)
e. William Wilson, b 1835 (338kn)
f. Margaret L Wilson, b 1837 (338kn)
g. Permelia Wilson, b 1844 (338n)
h. Sophia F Wilson, b 1846 (338n)
j. Susan E Wilson, b 1848 (338n)
Cyrus Wilson, born in 1815, was shown last in the 1850 census in David’s household. Because of his birth date, he probably was not a son, but was instead a younger brother of David, or a nephew. In David’s home in 1830 there were two male teens, born between 1811 and 1815. Six doors away in 1830 was Joseph Wilson, born between 1811 and 1815, and a wife(?) born in the 1800s.
Archibald Wilson, son of Sarah, lived six doors away in 1840. Arch’s uncle Zacheus Wilson lived two doors away in 1830. (55, 338jknc)
b. Zacheus Wilson, b abt 1779 and lived in Henderson Co in the 1830s and 1840s. The ages of their children indicate that they married in the late 1800s. In 1820 he was in Sumner Co, age between 1776 and 1794. His wife was of the same age. There are three Zacheus Wilson marriages in early Sumner Co. The first one was in 1790, so was probably not the son of Revolutionary war Zacheus, unless that son was born around ten years earlier than the 1779 estimate. But the other two may be Zacheus Jr’s: one was on 6 November 1824 to Keziah Stone, and the next one was with Mary Clark on 15 January 1829. There was obviously a fourth marriage of about 1805, not yet found, to account for the children shown below. In their home in 1820 were seven children-*
1. son Wilson, b 1805-1810 (337i)
2. son Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i)
3. dau Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i)
4. son Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i)
5. dau Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i)
6. son Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i)
7. son Wilson, b 1811-1820 (337i) (337i,338jk)
c. David Wilson, married Jinny Carothers in Sumner Co on 9 May 1804 and moved to Henderson Co in the 1820s. (55,337m)
d. John A Wilson, b 1790s, was a pioneer doctor of Henderson Co TN. He married a woman born in the early 1800s; they had children and lived in Henderson Co in 1840-
1. son Wilson, b 1821-1825 (338k)
2. son Wilson, b 1821-1825 (338k)
3. dau Wilson, b 1826-1830 (338k)
4. son Wilson, b 1826-1830 (338k)
5. son Wilson, b 1831-1835 (338k)
6. son Wilson, b 1831-1835 (338k)
7. son Wilson, b 1836-1840 (338k) (55,338k)
e. Archibald Wilson, b 12 Jun 1797 in Sumner Co, died 31 July 1852 in Henderson Co. He married twice. His first wife was Elizabeth Cannon or Carron, married in Wilson Co on 6 April 1818. She must have died soon after because Arch then married Cynthia L Johnson in Wilson Co on 13 September 1821. She was born in Nash Co NC on 3 January 1802, and died 23 December 1872 in Henderson Co. In 1840 in Henderson Co, living next door was Zacheus Wilson, born in the 1770s. Arch and Cynthia had ten children, all born in Henderson Co TN-*
1. Nathan Cecil Wilson, b 10 January 1824 in TN, died 3 August 1877 in Dunklin Co MO. He married Clarissa Harriet Derryberry from Henderson Co TN. She was born 1 November 1828, and died 9 September 1902 in Dunklin Co MO. Living next door in 1850 was Abraham Derryberry and his wife Mary, from NC and GA. Both were age 56, so were of age to be Clarissa’s parents. Nathan and Clarissa had two sons by 1850. (338n)
2. son Wilson, b 1826-1830 (338jk)
3. son Wilson, b 1826-1830 (338jk)
4. son Wilson, b 1826-1830, was shown as a daughter under age 5 in 1830. (338jk)
5. son Wilson, b 1831-1835 (338k)
6. Abijah Wilson, b 1834 (338kn)
7. Palma Wilson (dau), b 1836 (338kn)
8. Matthew Wilson, b 1840 in Henderson Co TN. (338n)
9. Elias Wilson, b 1843 (338n)
10. Archibald Wilson, b 1846 (338n)
f. son Wilson, b 1800s, was still in Sarah’s home in 1830. (338j)
g. dau Wilson, b 1811-1815, was still in Sarah’s home in 1830, or else she may have been a daughter-in-law. (337i,338j)
Wilson Co is the county just south of Sumner Co.
Most early Henderson Co records have been lost in courthouse fires in 1863 and 1895. (55, 337i,338Gn)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids