William Venable, son of Abraham Venable and Martha Davis, was born abt 1735 in Louisa Co VA. He married Margaret _____, and died 15 Dec 1815 in Stokes Co NC. Margaret was born abt 1720 in Frederick Co VA and died in Surry Co on 23 November 1774. When Stokes Co was created in 1789 from Surry Co, those people living on Little Yadkin became residents of Stokes Co. William and Margaret had at least three children who lived in Surry Co & Stokes Co NC-
1. Rebecca Venable, b 18 Sep 1759 in VA, married Reverend William Steele, and died 10 June 1827. She and Reverend Steele lived in Surry Co.
2. William Venable, b 16 Sep 1760 in Frederick Co VA, lived in Surry Co NC and married Ursula East [E4c3a4]. See their line in the East web pages.
3. John Venable, b 1 Sep 1762 in Frederick Co VA, died 1 Jun 1839 in Stokes Co NC. During the Revolutionary War years, John often stayed with his father’s brother Richard Venable and Richard’s wife Hannah Carroll who lived in Lincoln Co NC. John had married Mary Curry in the early 1780s and they settled in Surry Co NC, in the part which became Stokes Co in 1789. Mary was born 25 Jun 1762, daughter of Malcolm Curry, and died 9 Sep 1842. They had nine children, all but the first two were born in Stokes Co NC-
a. Richard Venable, b 14 Feb 1785 in Surry Co NC.
b. Jesse Venable, b 14 May 1787 in Surry Co NC. He married Charity Eaton in Stokes Co on 22 Feb 1822. She was born abt 1800, and died 22 Jan 1885 in Stokes Co. Jesse died 7 Apr 1877. They had seven children, all born in Stokes Co-
1. Martin Venable, b 15 Oct 1824, married Hannah P Gibson in Surry Co on 13 Feb 1847, and married second with Nancy Jane Grigg in Stokes Co on 17 Feb 1859. Hannah was born in NC in 1827 and probably died about 1857 in Stokes Co. Nancy was born 22 Apr 1833 in Surry Co, daughter of Anderson Grigg and Casandra Pell, and died 8 Feb 1911 in Surry Co. Martin had five children with Hannah and nine more with Nancy.
2. Daniel Winston Venable, b 23 Apr 1827
3. Haywood Venable, b 31 May 1829, married Mary A Lawrence in Stokes Co on 8 Nov 1855; Haywood’s younger brother provided the marriage bond.
4. Celia Venable, b 7 Feb 1831
5. Squire Venable, b 4 Jun 1834
6. John Temple Venable, b 1 Mar 1838 Edit
7. Francis Marion Venable, b 10 Aug 1841
8. Charlotte Temperance Venable, b 9 Jan 1844, married Thomas J Stone in Stokes Co on 24 Dec 1866. Thomas was born in NC in 1845. They had five children in Stokes Co by Dec 1869.
c. Elizabeth Venable, b 21 Nov 1789 in Stokes Co NC about the time it was formed from Surry Co. She may have been the Elizabeth Venable who married James Davis in Surry Co on 26 May 1821.
d. William Venable, b 24 Jun 1792, married twice. The first wife was Sarah Smith, married in Surry Co on 10 Jun 1829; William’s brother Jesse provided the marriage bond. The second wife was Sarah Riggs, married in Stokes Co on 8 Mar 1842. She was born in NC in 1810. They lived in Stokes Co and William had seven children by 1850-
1. Louisa Jane Venable, b 1831, married John King in Stokes Co on 8 Mar 1855. The bondsman was Louisa’s first cousin Haywood Venable.
2. John W Venable, b 1833
3. William M Venable, b 1837
4. Charity E Venable, b 1840
5. Jesse E Venable, b 1844
6, Augustus N Venable, b 1844
7. Squire G Venable, b 1846
e. Sarah Venable, b 12 Mar 1795, md Drewry McGee in 1828?
f. Mary Venable, b 30 Oct 1797
g. Rebecca Venable, b 2 Jun 1800, married George Poore in Surry Co in 1833.
h. John Venable, b 25 Apr 1803, married Mary _____, and had about five children-*
1. Isham Venable (240j) (W)
2. Joshua Venable, b 1824 in Surry Co NC. He married Elizabeth Snow in Surry Co on 2 August 1849 and lived in Surry Co. His brother Isham provided the marriage bond. Since the daughter in their home in 1850 was born four years prior, Elizabeth must have married before, about 1845. Elizabeth was born in NC in 1823. They lived at Siloam in 1850 and at Rockford in 1860. Her daughter was Julina Venable, born in 1846. There was a marriage between Elizabeth Snow and Tyson S Wilmouth on 12 November 1845 in Surry Co. Joshua served in the Confederate Army in the Civil War in the 28th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry. He had three children by 1860, all born in Surry Co NC-*
a. James Martin Venable, b Apr 1851
b. Sarah Venable, b 1853
c. Martha Venable, b 1855
3. girl Venable, b 1821-1825 (240j) / Rachael Venable?, b 1823 (240n)
4. boy Venable, b 1826-1830 (240j)
5. girl Venable, b 1826-1830 (240j) / Mary Venable?, b 1827 (240n) (W,240ij)
i. Malcolm Venable, b 29 Jul 1805, married Mary Mosier in 1833 and lived in Stokes Co. She was born in 1812 in NC. Malcom also married Mary Stout on 17 Feb 1846 in Stokes Co. He had at least two daughters-
1. Mary Venable, b 1836
2. Elizabeth Venable, b 1841 (W,240mnqrs,76mnqrs)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids