Thomas Gay Upchurch, son of Charles Upchurch and Mary Gay, was born 28 November 1797 in Wake Co NC. He moved to Henry Co GA as a young man and married Patience C Barnes in Henry Co GA on 6 January 1825. She was also from NC, born about 1804. They remained in Henry Co into the 1830s, but by 1840 were living in Fayette Co GA, then in 1850 and 1860 were living at Bowdon, Carroll Co. It wasn’t until the late 1860s when they moved to Clay Co Al where they spent the rest of their lives. Gay died at Ashland, Clay Co on 23 June 1885. Patience died at Ashland in the 1880s. Along the way, they had around ten children, most born in Henry Co-
1. Willis J Upchurch, b 1826, married Sarah T. She was born in GA about 1826. They had seven children born in Carroll Co GA before she died in the mid 1860s. William then married Missouri, and moved to Clay Co AL about 1867. Missouri was the mother of the children born after Joseph. She died in Clay Co on 9 November 1916. Willis had about ten children-
a. Catherine Upchurch, b 1852
b. William Upchurch, b 1853
c. Mary Jane Upchurch, b 1855
d. Charles M Upchurch, b 1856
e. John T Upchurch, b early 1860, married Sarah T, and married Missouri.
f, Martha J Upchurch, b 1861
g. Joseph Upchurch, b 1863
h. Willie M Upchurch, b Sep 1867, was apparently names William, as was his half brother. William M had not married by 1910.
i. Allie Victoria Upchurch, b May 1868 in Clay Co AL, had not married by 1910.
j. Georgia A Upchurch, b Aug 1869 in Clay Co AL.
k. Lovie Upchurch (boy), b Feb 1876 in Clay Co AL.
m. Emma Upchurch, b Mar 1878 in Clay Co AL.
n. Mittie A Upchurch, b May 1880 in Clay Co AL.
2. Thomas Gay Upchurch, b 7 Mar 1827, married Sarah Miller about 1848. She was born 4 September 1825. Thomas served in the Civil war and died in service. He and Sarah had five known children, all born in Carroll Co GA, but spent time in the 1860s in Jackson Co LA-
a. Robert Gay Upchurch, b 1847
b. Willis Jefferson Upchurch, b 15 Apr 1849, died 9 October 1904 in TX. He married Mary Frances Thompson. She was born 8 August 1863 in MS.
c. William J Upchurch b 1852
d. Theodosa Upchurch b 1854
e. James N Simeon Upchurch b 1856
3. William Barnes Upchurch, b 1830, married Nancy M Copeland in Carrol Co on 15 December 1853. She was born in GA in 1836. William died 27 October 1862 at Knoxville, TN. They had five children born in Carroll Co GA -
a. Frances Upchurch, b 1854
b. Joseph Upchurch, b 1856
c. George Upchurch, b 1857
d. Thomas Homer Upchurch, b Oct 1859
e. Martha E Upchurch, b 1862
4. Jethro Wilson Upchurch, b 9 Jul 1831, married Rosanna A. She was born about 1840 in NC and they lived in Carroll Co GA, but moved to Clay Co AL about 1869. Their first four children were all born in Carroll Co, the rest in Clay Co-
a. John E Upchurch, b Dec 1859
b. Mary W UpChurch, b 1863
c. Jasper Alonzo Upchurch, b 1866
d. William W Upchurch, b 1869
e. Willis G Upchurch, b 1870
f. Eddy F Upchurch, b 1873
g. Thomas Upchurch, b 1876
h. Robert M Upchurch, b 1878
5. Martha A Upchurch, b 1833, married John Bonner in Carroll Co on 3 September 1857. John was born in GA in 1816. They lived in Carroll Co and had a large family-
a. Zadoe J Bonner (boy), b 1957
b. Jerusha Bonner, b 1859
c. Mary E Bonner, b 1863
d. Josephine M Bonner, b 1865
e. Georgia P Bonner, b 1867
f. Charles W Bonner, b 1869
g. Roberty L Bonner, b 1872
h. Loviet C Bonner (boy), b 1874
i. Roda L Bonner, b 1876
6. Rhoda A Upchurch, b 1835
7. Mary Elizabeth Upchurch, b 1837
8. John C Upchurch, b 1839 in Fayette Co GA.
9. Joseph E Upchurch, b Aug 1843 in Fayette Co GA, moved to Clay Co AL in the late 1860s, and died 24 May 1915 in GA. He married Calvinia Augusta Russell. She was born in Clay Co on 1 June 1856, daughter of Calvin Augustus Russell and Emeline Elizabeth Wilkerson. They had eight children, all born in Clay Co-
a. Calvin Altonia Upchurch, b Jan 1876
b. Marshall Christopher Upchurch, b 1879
c. Zada Eldora Upchurch, b abt 1882, married by 1900
d. Marvin Evans Upchurch, b Apr 1885
e. Velma Upchurch, b Mar 1888
f. Emma Upchurch, b Nov 1890
g. child Upchurch, b & d 1875-1900
h. Huron Gay Upchurch, b May 1896
10. Margaret Upchurch, b 10 Jul 1844 in Fayette Co GA. (AN,K, 299mj, 328k, 282mnq, 257rsud)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids