Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

HISTORY
of
LAWLOR ISLAND


LAWLOR ISLAND, Halifax County - An island located in the mouth of Halifax Harbour, which was alloted to Captain Thomas Bloss in September 1750, and thus called Bloss's Island. According to succeeding owners, it was called : Webb's Island in 1758, Carroll's Island in 1792, McNamera's Island in 1821, Duggan's Island in 1829, then later Warren's Island, and finally Lawlor Island after James Lawlor.

A quarantine hospital was built here by the Nova Scotia government in 1866 and enlarged by the Canadian government in 1872.

Source: PLACE NAMES AND PLACES OF NOVA SCOTIA (1967)
Dr. C. B. Ferguson and the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Used with permission.



For additional information, try the link below which will take you to the
Halifax County site. Anna MacDonald has transcribed articles that appeared
in the Dartmouth Patriot in 1901 by H.E. Hewitt .


Hewitt Histories


2000-2005 by Eastern Passage & Cow Bay NS GenWeb and its contributors